Professional Web Applications Themes

Dual boot and grub problem. - Ubuntu

I have XP installed on part of my HDD. I installed Ubuntu on the free space. When asked where I wanted grub loaded to, I specified a floppy, in the hope that I could boot to Ubuntu using the floppy, and XP without using the floppy. No such joy! Ubuntu boots OK from the floppy, but when the floppy is removed, the system just says "error in operating System". a) Is there a way of doing this (so my XP users don't need to see a dual-boot menu) or b) if not, is there an *easy* way to move the ...

  1. #1

    Default Dual boot and grub problem.

    I have XP installed on part of my HDD. I installed Ubuntu on the free
    space. When asked where I wanted grub loaded to, I specified a floppy,
    in the hope that I could boot to Ubuntu using the floppy, and XP without
    using the floppy. No such joy! Ubuntu boots OK from the floppy, but when
    the floppy is removed, the system just says "error in operating System".
    a) Is there a way of doing this (so my XP users don't need to see a
    dual-boot menu) or b) if not, is there an *easy* way to move the Grub
    install from the floppy to the MBR?

    Thanks
    Gordon Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Dual boot and grub problem.

    In article <2YadnfRyXoFCxnrenZ2dnUVZ8qWdnZ2declipse.net.uk >, Gordon
    says...
    > I have XP installed on part of my HDD. I installed Ubuntu on the free
    > space. When asked where I wanted grub loaded to, I specified a floppy,
    > in the hope that I could boot to Ubuntu using the floppy, and XP without
    > using the floppy. No such joy! Ubuntu boots OK from the floppy, but when
    > the floppy is removed, the system just says "error in operating System".
    > a) Is there a way of doing this (so my XP users don't need to see a
    > dual-boot menu) or b) if not, is there an *easy* way to move the Grub
    > install from the floppy to the MBR?

    a) No. Just set XP as the default.

    b) Run the partition configuration utility from within Ubuntu.

    --
    Conor,

    Same , different day.
    Conor Guest

  3. #3

    On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 15:38:27 +0000, Conor wrote:
    > In article <2YadnfRyXoFCxnrenZ2dnUVZ8qWdnZ2declipse.net.uk >, Gordon
    > says...
    >> I have XP installed on part of my HDD. I installed Ubuntu on the free
    >> space. When asked where I wanted grub loaded to, I specified a floppy,
    >> in the hope that I could boot to Ubuntu using the floppy, and XP
    >> without using the floppy. No such joy! Ubuntu boots OK from the floppy,
    >> but when the floppy is removed, the system just says "error in
    >> operating System". a) Is there a way of doing this (so my XP users
    >> don't need to see a dual-boot menu) or b) if not, is there an *easy*
    >> way to move the Grub install from the floppy to the MBR?
    >>
    > a) No. Just set XP as the default.
    >
    > b) Run the partition configuration utility from within Ubuntu.

    Conner might be right as I certainly haven't tried this but I was under
    the impression that you can have one MBR per device. In which case, if
    the floppy is in he could use it's MBR to point to grub on the floppy and
    if it's not in, use the MBR on the hard drive with XP's NTLDR. Might need
    to run fixmbr from within XP in order to restore the traditional NT
    boot method. Is that not a possibility?

    Chuck
    Chuck Guest

  4. #4

    Gordon wrote:
    > I have XP installed on part of my HDD. I installed Ubuntu on the free
    > space. When asked where I wanted grub loaded to, I specified a floppy,
    > in the hope that I could boot to Ubuntu using the floppy, and XP without
    > using the floppy. No such joy! Ubuntu boots OK from the floppy, but when
    > the floppy is removed, the system just says "error in operating System".
    > a) Is there a way of doing this (so my XP users don't need to see a
    > dual-boot menu) or b) if not, is there an *easy* way to move the Grub
    > install from the floppy to the MBR?
    >
    > Thanks

    I personally like the dual boot menu. If it is that you dont like the
    options you might try to change them. I know you can change the colors,
    defualt os, and the time. I have seen of swapable harddrives but I dont
    like them. I just have a bad feeling about thing being pluged and
    unpluged regulary that werent really meant to be. I hope I may have
    helpped.

    Good luck
    Erik W Guest

  5. #5

    On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 23:15:48 -0600, Erik W wrote:
    > Gordon wrote:
    >> I have XP installed on part of my HDD. I installed Ubuntu on the free
    >> space. When asked where I wanted grub loaded to, I specified a floppy,
    >> in the hope that I could boot to Ubuntu using the floppy, and XP without
    >> using the floppy. No such joy! Ubuntu boots OK from the floppy, but when
    >> the floppy is removed, the system just says "error in operating System".
    >> a) Is there a way of doing this (so my XP users don't need to see a
    >> dual-boot menu) or b) if not, is there an *easy* way to move the Grub
    >> install from the floppy to the MBR?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >

    > I personally like the dual boot menu. If it is that you dont like the
    > options you might try to change them. I know you can change the colors,
    > defualt os, and the time. I have seen of swapable harddrives but I dont
    > like them. I just have a bad feeling about thing being pluged and
    > unpluged regulary that werent really meant to be. I hope I may have
    > helpped.
    I've never tried to reinstall GRUB, but once you have it in the MBR, you
    can set the default OS to Windows and set the time-to-default to 1 or 2
    seconds. Just the Windows addicts to close their eyes and count to three
    and the heresy will go away. You could also put your Linux system in a
    hard-disk partition and don't install GRUB. Put a small bootable image,
    such as Damn Small Linux, on a CD or a USB key and use it only to boot,
    then chroot to your installed system.

    I dual-boot because there are three programs that I can't find Linux
    workalikes for, and because if I have to complain to the local cable
    monopoly about getting 'server not found' even when I try to look at
    their Web site, I can say that I'm running Windows instead of listening to
    "Linux? Duh, whazzat?" Once I get some more hardware, I plan to keep
    Windows on its own box and scrub every trace of Windows out of my main
    system. Samba should take care of moving files among the machines, and my
    router doesn't care what's connected to it as long as everything speaks
    TCP/IP.

    Stephen J. Rush Guest

  6. #6

    On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 00:59:39 -0500, "Stephen J. Rush"
    <net> wrote:

    >> I personally like the dual boot menu. If it is that you dont like the
    >> options you might try to change them. I know you can change the colors,
    >> defualt os, and the time. I have seen of swapable harddrives but I dont
    >> like them. I just have a bad feeling about thing being pluged and
    >> unpluged regulary that werent really meant to be. I hope I may have
    >> helpped.[/ref]
    >
    >I've never tried to reinstall GRUB, but once you have it in the MBR, you
    >can set the default OS to Windows and set the time-to-default to 1 or 2
    >seconds. Just the Windows addicts to close their eyes and count to three
    >and the heresy will go away. You could also put your Linux system in a
    >hard-disk partition and don't install GRUB. Put a small bootable image,
    > such as Damn Small Linux, on a CD or a USB key and use it only to boot,
    > then chroot to your installed system.
    >
    >I dual-boot because there are three programs that I can't find Linux
    >workalikes for, and because if I have to complain to the local cable
    >monopoly about getting 'server not found' even when I try to look at
    >their Web site, I can say that I'm running Windows instead of listening to
    >"Linux? Duh, whazzat?" Once I get some more hardware, I plan to keep
    >Windows on its own box and scrub every trace of Windows out of my main
    >system. Samba should take care of moving files among the machines, and my
    >router doesn't care what's connected to it as long as everything speaks
    >TCP/IP.[/ref]

    Question slightly OT, after a big online update, grub forces ubuntu to
    be the first bootable OS again. I could only find instructions on
    manually editing menu.lst (I think) to change the boot sequence after
    the update, it put XP at the bottom again.

    Any ideas?
    A Guest

  7. #7

    A User wrote: