Professional Web Applications Themes

Dual boot problem with bootloader in MBR - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

hai there... I 'm winding with boot problem in Redhat Linux 7.3. I have IBM PC with dual OS. ( Win 98 SE and RH linux 7.3).I used grub.0.91-4 in my mbr to load my preffered OS.My mbr is affected with some virus. So, i overwrite my mbr with "fdisk /mbr" Command through DOS prompt. Now i'm not able to boot Linux. I'm tried to boot my affected system with boot floppy ( created for another system with same configuration ). It starts to boot,but it hangs after freeing unused memory and giving error message... freeing unused memory...200k freed Kernal ...

  1. #1

    Default Dual boot problem with bootloader in MBR

    hai there...
    I 'm winding with boot problem in Redhat Linux 7.3.
    I have IBM PC with dual OS. ( Win 98 SE and RH linux 7.3).I used
    grub.0.91-4 in my mbr to load my preffered OS.My mbr is affected with
    some virus. So, i overwrite my mbr with "fdisk /mbr" Command through
    DOS prompt. Now i'm not able to boot Linux. I'm tried to boot my
    affected system with boot floppy ( created for another system with
    same configuration ). It starts to boot,but it hangs after freeing
    unused memory and giving error message...
    freeing unused memory...200k freed
    Kernal panic: No init found , try to passing INIT= option to
    kernal

    After this message, i can't able to do anything .My keyboard LED's
    just starts blinking. So, i poweroff my syatem and again booted....
    Now with... boot: linux INIT=1
    Again it does the same thing. I tried all the 6 init options
    (1,2,3,4,5,6 ). But, nothing helped me.
    Please tellme..
    1. what happened actually.
    2. How to solve this problem.
    3. how to pass arguments to the kernal to start init...
    4. How can i reinstall grub again ( my root partition is in hda5.I'm
    not created seperate boot partition. My boot datas also in root
    partition only )

    thanks,
    senthil
    M.Senthil Kumar Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Dual boot problem with bootloader in MBR

    I'm not posting to the comp.os.linux group as officially it
    doesn't exist anymore (for several years now I believe)
    > hai there...
    > I 'm winding with boot problem in Redhat Linux 7.3.
    > I have IBM PC with dual OS. ( Win 98 SE and RH linux 7.3).I used
    > grub.0.91-4 in my mbr to load my preffered OS.My mbr is affected with
    > some virus. So, i overwrite my mbr with "fdisk /mbr"
    Have a working bootfloppy lying around for these kind of things
    > Command through
    > DOS prompt. Now i'm not able to boot Linux. I'm tried to boot my
    > affected system with boot floppy ( created for another system with
    > same configuration ). It starts to boot,but it hangs after freeing
    > unused memory and giving error message...
    > freeing unused memory...200k freed
    > Kernal panic: No init found , try to passing INIT= option to
    > kernal
    it cannot find /sbin/init
    > After this message, i can't able to do anything .My keyboard LED's
    > just starts blinking. So, i poweroff my syatem and again booted....
    > Now with... boot: linux INIT=1
    > Again it does the same thing. I tried all the 6 init options
    > (1,2,3,4,5,6 ). But, nothing helped me.
    That's not what is intended.
    use init=/sbin/init, or init=/bin/bash eg.
    But if your system annot find /sbin/init, something else is probably
    wrong. You may actually need to specify the correct root=/dev/hda5 option
    > Please tellme..
    > 1. what happened actually.
    you blanked the MBR
    > 2. How to solve this problem.
    see above
    > 3. how to pass arguments to the kernal to start init...
    ditto
    > 4. How can i reinstall grub again ( my root partition is in hda5.I'm
    > not created seperate boot partition. My boot datas also in root
    > partition only )
    After you booted the OS you can call grub-install. See it's man/info
    pages for details on how to call it.

    If the bootfloppy doesn't work, your installation CD probably will.
    It's a bit more work perhaps, but chrooting to your installed linux, and
    running grub-install from there should do the trick as well.

    (Next time make a bootfloppy)

    Eric
    Eric Moors Guest

  3. #3

    M.Senthil Kumar enlightened us with:
    > hai there...
    Hi. Don't crosspost. Post to ONE group only.
    > My mbr is affected with some virus. So, i overwrite my mbr with
    > "fdisk /mbr" Command through DOS prompt.
    Wiping out your Grub. Why did you think your MBR has a virus? Have you
    been playing with Mickeysoft stuff again?
    > I'm tried to boot my affected system with boot floppy ( created for
    > another system with same configuration ). It starts to boot,but it
    > hangs after freeing unused memory and giving error message...
    Apparently not the same configuration...
    > Kernal panic: No init found , try to passing INIT= option to kernal
    PS: It's 'kernel' not 'kernal'. Might help you if you search google.
    > Now with... boot: linux INIT=1
    Wrong init= option. You don't pass a runlevel, you pass the path to
    the first executable that is to be run after the kernel has started.
    In other words: the initialization executable.
    > 1. what happened actually.
    You wiped out your boot loader, replacing it with the default DOS
    bootloader. This loader doesn't offer any menu, and starts the OS on
    the partition marked as "active".
    > 2. How to solve this problem.
    Read on
    > 3. how to pass arguments to the kernal to start init...
    You don't have to.
    > 4. How can i reinstall grub again ( my root partition is in hda5.I'm
    > not created seperate boot partition. My boot datas also in root
    > partition only )
    Ok, this info is good. Reboot, and boot with

    boot: linux root=/dev/hda5

    That should get your system up and running. Now re-install grub (I
    believe with grub-install) and you're set.

    Sybren
    Sybren Stuvel Guest