Professional Web Applications Themes

Dual boot problems - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Hello, I recently installed SuSE 9.0 Professional as what I thought would be a dual boot system with Windows ME being the other operating system. GRUB is used as the loader. SuSE works fine, the problem is Windows. If windows is selected the system just hangs. I got the following information using fdisk Partition Status Type Mbytes 1 A Non-DOS 13367 2 Non-DOS 502 3 Non-DOS 5726 I'm guessing that NON-DOS is the reason Windows won't run. Is there a way to restore the access to windows or is a complete re-format the only option? Thanks in Advance Newbie Steve...

  1. #1

    Default Dual boot problems

    Hello,

    I recently installed SuSE 9.0 Professional as what I thought would be a
    dual boot system with Windows ME being the other operating system. GRUB is
    used as the loader. SuSE works fine, the problem is Windows. If windows is
    selected the system just hangs. I got the following information using fdisk

    Partition Status Type Mbytes
    1 A Non-DOS 13367

    I'm guessing that NON-DOS is the reason Windows won't run. Is there a way to
    restore the access to windows or is a complete re-format the only option?

    Thanks in Advance
    Newbie Steve
    Steve Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Dual boot problems

    On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 21:27:24 -0600,
    Steve <net> wrote:
    I'd guess by the look of things that Windows doesn't run because you
    overwrote it. Linux's fdisk will give more detailed info than Non-DOS.
    But I'd say something went wrong if you have no fat/fat32 partitions.

    I think you'll be reinstalling, sorry.

    When you do so, create a single partition for WinME (or two if you
    prefer.) leaving the rest of the space unpartitioned. Let Suse
    partition the free space.

    Michael C.
    --
    com http://mcsuper5.freeshell.org/

    Michael Guest

  3. #3

    Go to groups.google.com advanced search and lookup my post:

    Dual booting XP, Linux with Grub, on Dell

    This might help.

    Also, I always have two hard drives in my machines. The Windows
    stays where it was. Linux goes onto the second hard drive.

    Was Windows the initial installation? And you want to get back
    to windows? If so, you can, with your install CD, or emergency floppy,

    fdisk /mbr

    This will overwrite the master boot record. You will be able to get
    back to Windows, but will have no more Linux.

    Good luck. Please let us know your solution.

    linuxquestion@yahoo.com Guest

  4. #4

    Windows ME was the inital install and I would like to get the dual boot to
    work, ie use GRUB to boot to linux or Windows. Currently GRUB boots to
    Linux no problem, but windows won't come up, just causes the system to
    hang.

    Steve

    com wrote:
     [/ref]

    Steve Guest

  5. #5

    On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 14:34:17 -0600,
    Steve <net> wrote:

    Post the results of

    su -c "fdisk -l /dev/hda"

    and

    su -c "fdisk -l /dev/hdb"

    from linux.

    Michael C.

  6. #6

    Michael C. wrote:

    > Post the results of
    >
    > su -c "fdisk -l /dev/hda"[/ref]

    Here are the results to fdisk -l /dev/hda:

    Device Boot Start End Blocks ID System
    /dev/hda1 * 1 1704 13687348+ 44 Unknown
    /dev/hda2 1705 1768 514080 82 Linux Swap
    /dev/hda3 1769 2498 5863725 83 Linux

    No results for fdisk -l /dev/hdb

    Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks
    Steve

    Steve Guest

  7. #7

    On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 16:53:46 -0600, Steve typed:

    <snip>

    I hate to tell you this but you have no Windows Me installed, the
    partition above is a GoBack partition (ID 44).

    From; http://www.win.tue.nl/~aeb/partitions/partition_types-1.html

    44 GoBack partition

    GoBack is a utility that records changes made to the disk, allowing
    you to view or go back to some earlier state. It takes over disk I/O
    like a Disk Manager would, and stores its logs in its own partition.

    http://www.symantec.com/goback/

    --
    SCO + RICO Act = Justice

    Hi! I'm a .sig virus! Copy me to your .sig!

    Lenard Guest

  8. #8

    Lenard wrote:

    > <snip>

    > I hate to tell you this but you have no Windows Me installed, the
    > partition above is a GoBack partition (ID 44).
    >
    > From; http://www.win.tue.nl/~aeb/partitions/partition_types-1.html
    >
    > 44 GoBack partition
    >
    > GoBack is a utility that records changes made to the disk, allowing
    > you to view or go back to some earlier state. It takes over disk I/O
    > like a Disk Manager would, and stores its logs in its own partition.
    >
    > http://www.symantec.com/goback/
    >
    >[/ref]
    So WinME is history. I still have access to the files on the Windows drive
    and can even run some via WINE. It does sound though that formating the
    partition with windows on it is the only alternative???

    Thanks
    Steve
    Steve Guest

  9. #9

    On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 18:36:28 -0600,
    Steve <net> wrote:

    > > <snip>
    > >

    > > I hate to tell you this but you have no Windows Me installed, the
    > > partition above is a GoBack partition (ID 44).
    > >
    > > From; http://www.win.tue.nl/~aeb/partitions/partition_types-1.html
    > >
    > > 44 GoBack partition
    > >
    > > GoBack is a utility that records changes made to the disk, allowing
    > > you to view or go back to some earlier state. It takes over disk I/O
    > > like a Disk Manager would, and stores its logs in its own partition.
    > >
    > > http://www.symantec.com/goback/
    > >
    > >[/ref]
    > So WinME is history. I still have access to the files on the Windows drive
    > and can even run some via WINE. It does sound though that formating the
    > partition with windows on it is the only alternative???[/ref]

    If you can still access the windows data from the disk now, I'm
    confused. If you have a non standard setup you've got to
    speak up.

    Doing a quick search, it appears GoBack and Linux don't play well
    together. I'd suggest disabling it and unistalling it, remove all
    partitions via fdisk, creating a primary partition only as large as
    needed for Windows, install Windows, then install Linux in the free
    space, letting it set up the multiboot for you.

    If you require the use of GoBack, I'd recommend looking into a good back
    up procedure.

    Good luck,

    Michael C.

  10. #10

    That's what I understood. My posting addressed how to do that.
    At least it worked on my system.

  11. #11

    Michael C. wrote:

    >> So WinME is history. I still have access to the files on the Windows
    >> drive and can even run some via WINE. It does sound though that
    >> formating the partition with windows on it is the only alternative???[/ref]
    >
    > If you can still access the windows data from the disk now, I'm
    > confused. If you have a non standard setup you've got to
    > speak up.[/ref]

    As far as I know I have a standard setup. My newness to Linux may have
    caused most of my problems. I don't know why I can access the WinME files
    and run some via WINE.

    If I understand correctly, the only solution left is start over???

    Thanks
    Steve

    Steve Guest

  12. #12

    Should I use the Linux fdisk or DOS fdisk?

    com wrote:
     [/ref][/ref]

    Steve Guest

  13. #13

    Steve wrote:
     [/ref][/ref]

    Could you have inadvertently changed the partition type
    while running Linux fdisk?
    You could at least try changing it to the correct type (with Linux fdisk).
    The types can be listed if you start "fdisk /dev/hda" or whatever.

    --
    Timothy Murphy
    tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

  14. #14

    On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 10:43:48 -0600,
    Steve <net> wrote:

    While I'm not saying that is the only route, but if you can afford to
    start over that's easiest.

    Use Dos fdisk.exe, Do NOT partition the whole drive.

    Create a Primary partition for windows only as big as you need, and if
    you want additional partitions for Dos/Windows, create an extended
    partition that spans the remainder of the disk, then create logical
    partitions for Dos/Windows keeping in mind you want to leave free space
    in the extended partion.

    Partition the remaining space (unpartitioned space) using /sbin/fdisk
    in Linux, after installing Windows first.

    There're other ways, but this is the simplest. If you don't know
    EXACTLY what they do, I'd avoid tools that create their own partitions
    and modify them unless they specifically say they are compatible with
    non-MS systems (unless you are using a windows only machine.)

    Michael C.

  15. #15

    Hi,

    Based on all of the wonderful help and ideas I got with my problem, I
    decided to just format out the drive and start over. Everything installed
    fine and seems to be working great. My final conclusion is I must have
    botched the initial install somehow, creating this problem. Again, thanks to
    all that tried to help me with this problem.

    Steve
    "Michael C." <com> wrote in message

    > While I'm not saying that is the only route, but if you can afford to
    > start over that's easiest.
    >
    > Use Dos fdisk.exe, Do NOT partition the whole drive.
    >
    > Create a Primary partition for windows only as big as you need, and if
    > you want additional partitions for Dos/Windows, create an extended
    > partition that spans the remainder of the disk, then create logical
    > partitions for Dos/Windows keeping in mind you want to leave free space
    > in the extended partion.
    >
    > Partition the remaining space (unpartitioned space) using /sbin/fdisk
    > in Linux, after installing Windows first.
    >
    > There're other ways, but this is the simplest. If you don't know
    > EXACTLY what they do, I'd avoid tools that create their own partitions
    > and modify them unless they specifically say they are compatible with
    > non-MS systems (unless you are using a windows only machine.)
    >
    > Michael C.
    > --
    > com http://mcsuper5.freeshell.org/
    > Registered Linux User #303915 http://counter.li.org/