Professional Web Applications Themes

dual-boot troubles; /usr won't mount - FreeBSD

I'm having trouble installing 5.3 from my 4CD set. I have a 10G Window partition; That leaves 3 slices available. I have tried various sizes for /, SWAP, and /usr, but newfs consistantly has trouble mounting /usr. I have no idea why. After I hit return, the install completes, I reboot to see F1: ??? F2: FreeBSD F3: FreeBSD F4: FreeBSD F1 brings up my W2k; F2 boots FBSD but there is a system error swhen it tried to mount /usr. I tried by-hand. No-joy. Anybody know what I'm doing wrong? (Must I use the NT bootloader, etc?) gary -- ...

  1. #1

    Default dual-boot troubles; /usr won't mount

    --
    Gary Kline org www.thought.org Public service Unix

    Gary Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: dual-boot troubles; /usr won't mount

    Gary Kline wrote:

    Looks like you have 3 root "partitions" for FBSD and one for windows. I
    think you are dividing the disk up to soon. You only divide ad0 into
    ad0s1(w2k) and ad0s2(ufs). Then in the FBSD disk labeler you make /,
    swap, /usr, /tmp, etc.... So to recap it seems you have made ad0s1,
    ad0s2, ad0s3, and ad0s4 and the boot loader asks which you what to boot
    from. So there is no /usr(I guess) on ad0s2, you put it on ad0s3.
    Print out the steps from the handbook if you need to.
    jason Guest

  3. #3

    On Tue, Mar 22, 2005 at 09:44:46PM -0500, jason henson wrote:
    > Looks like you have 3 root "partitions" for FBSD and one for windows. I
    > think you are dividing the disk up to soon. You only divide ad0 into
    > ad0s1(w2k) and ad0s2(ufs).[/ref]

    The first CD boots 5.3 ad brings up /stand/sysinstall.
    Every options I have tries sees the "NTFS" as ad0s1.

    Is there another choice to chose to divvy up the drive
    to give me more than three slices? This is where the
    handbook gets muddy.

    Can anybody 'splain this better??

    Which sections should I print out and go in a corner to read?

    gary

  4. #4

    On Wednesday 23 March 2005 06:44, Gary Kline wrote:

    FreeBSD is not Linux.

    Linux uses the same partitioning as Windows, 4 primary partitions, or 3
    primaries and an extended partition.

    FreeBSD has its own type of partitioning scheme which you could put directly
    onto the disk, but this is known as "dangerously-dedicated mode" since it
    isn't compatible with other non-bsd OSs and might cause problems with some
    BIOSes.

    Most people will install FreeBSD in what's known as a slice, this wraps a
    group of native BSD partitions inside a normal PC primary partition. You only
    need one slice for a FreeBSD installation.

    The one called "Installing FreeBSD"
    RW Guest

  5. #5

    On Wed, Mar 23, 2005 at 06:22:43PM +0000, RW wrote:

    > FreeBSD is not Linux.
    >
    > Linux uses the same partitioning as Windows, 4 primary partitions, or 3
    > primaries and an extended partition.
    >
    > FreeBSD has its own type of partitioning scheme which you could put directly
    > onto the disk, but this is known as "dangerously-dedicated mode" since it
    > isn't compatible with other non-bsd OSs and might cause problems with some
    > BIOSes.
    >
    > Most people will install FreeBSD in what's known as a slice, this wraps a
    > group of native BSD partitions inside a normal PC primary partition. You only
    > need one slice for a FreeBSD installation.
    >

    > The one called "Installing FreeBSD"[/ref]

    If memory servers, the slices I created were
    ad0s2 /
    ad0s3 SWAP
    ad0s4 /usr

    I tagged ad0s2 to be bootable; selected everything to be
    installed and okay the create script. /usr had trouble
    with newfs because of a bad superblock in 0s4. My guess
    is that the difficulty stems from a foul-up from the
    disk labeling.

    I've been installing BSD since 4.1 at Cal and FreeBSD
    since 2.0.5; I'm familiar with the standard protocols.
    This is my first go at trying to dual-boot such
    different systems.

    gary

  6. #6

    On Mar 23, 2005, at 1:59 PM, Gary Kline wrote:

    People normally create a BSD partition table within an FDISK partition,
    so / would be on ad0s2a, rather than using all of ad0s2 for a single
    filesystem. Then you can put swap on ad0s2b, and so forth and just use
    on FDISK partition, rather than using three...

    --
    -Chuck

    Charles Guest

  7. #7

    >> FreeBSD is not Linux.
    >>
    >> Linux uses the same partitioning as Windows, 4 primary partitions, or 3
    >> primaries and an extended partition.
    >>
    >> FreeBSD has its own type of partitioning scheme which you could put
    >> directly
    >> onto the disk, but this is known as "dangerously-dedicated mode" since
    >> it
    >> isn't compatible with other non-bsd OSs and might cause problems with
    >> some
    >> BIOSes.
    >>
    >> Most people will install FreeBSD in what's known as a slice, this wraps
    >> group of native BSD partitions inside a normal PC primary partition. You
    >> only
    >> need one slice for a FreeBSD installation.
    >>

    >> The one called "Installing FreeBSD"[/ref]
    >

    > If memory servers, the slices I created were
    > ad0s2 /[/ref]

    Sorry for jumping in here but I've never seen a filesystem with a device
    name like that before. As I understand it the device name reads like this:

    ad0 <-- primary ATA disk on first IDE cable
    s2 <-- second slice (what DOS/Windows/Linux call a partition)
    a <-- first partition (BSD definition of a partition)

    Your list appears to be missing the 'a'. This would indicate to me that
    you mistyped your example or didn't run disklabel (or bsdlabel) to setup
    the FreeBSD partitions. Can one run newfs on the slice without using
    disklabel first? I didn't think that was possible.

    I know you can run disklabel directly on the disk (ie ad0) and you wind up
    with devices missing the 'sX' part, like ad0a. I do this to zip disks all
    the time.

    --
    Ean Kingston
    E-Mail: ean_AT_hedron_DOT_org

    Ean Guest

  8. #8

    On Wed, Mar 23, 2005 at 02:08:19PM -0500, Charles Swiger wrote:

    > People normally create a BSD partition table within an FDISK partition,
    > so / would be on ad0s2a, rather than using all of ad0s2 for a single
    > filesystem. Then you can put swap on ad0s2b, and so forth and just use
    > on FDISK partition, rather than using three...[/ref]

    How do I use/reach FDISK via the CD installation script?
    I've looked at the kwik way and the Custom (for experts).
    If I use the "Allocate" menu I see the FDISK editor.
    What then? So far I've simply used "C = Create Slice";
    then in the following menu I've labeled the slices.

    Which option in the screen/editor? Or how-to FDISK
    ad0s2 any other way?

    thanks,

    gary

  9. #9

    On Wednesday 23 March 2005 19:28, Gary Kline wrote:

    > > People normally create a BSD partition table within an FDISK partition,
    > > so / would be on ad0s2a, rather than using all of ad0s2 for a single
    > > filesystem. Then you can put swap on ad0s2b, and so forth and just use
    > > on FDISK partition, rather than using three...[/ref]
    >
    > How do I use/reach FDISK via the CD installation script?
    > I've looked at the kwik way and the Custom (for experts).
    > If I use the "Allocate" menu I see the FDISK editor.
    > What then? So far I've simply used "C = Create Slice";
    > then in the following menu I've labeled the slices.
    >
    > Which option in the screen/editor? Or how-to FDISK
    > ad0s2 any other way?[/ref]

    It's part of the normal, menu-driven, installation process; first you create 1
    slice (primary partition) then you go through to the next stage where you
    carve the slice into partition. The second stage is called labelling, and
    there is a option to lay out the slice automatically. Even if you don't plan
    to use it you should do that to see what the default looks like.
    RW Guest

  10. #10

    On Wednesday 23 March 2005 20:05, RW wrote:

    Don't forget to delete the three partitions and create a single large slice,
    if you try to create a default set of partitions on a slice dimensioned to
    take / it will probably fail.
    RW Guest

  11. #11

    On Wed, Mar 23, 2005 at 08:05:57PM +0000, RW wrote:

    > > How do I use/reach FDISK via the CD installation script?
    > > I've looked at the kwik way and the Custom (for experts).
    > > If I use the "Allocate" menu I see the FDISK editor.
    > > What then? So far I've simply used "C = Create Slice";
    > > then in the following menu I've labeled the slices.
    > >
    > > Which option in the screen/editor? Or how-to FDISK
    > > ad0s2 any other way?[/ref]
    >
    > It's part of the normal, menu-driven, installation process; first you create 1
    > slice (primary partition) then you go through to the next stage where you
    > carve the slice into partition. The second stage is called labelling, and
    > there is a option to lay out the slice automatically. Even if you don't plan
    > to use it you should do that to see what the default looks like.[/ref]

    Yeah, I wound up trying the defaults because my custom creates
    failed. With thr "auto defaults" newfs works, but I error out
    on /usr. /usr is large. So the mount will fail, etc. (??)
    Maybe a smaller /usr is the trick.

    gary

  12. #12

    On Wednesday 23 March 2005 21:05, Gary Kline wrote:
    ks like.

    That's highly unlikely, FreeBSD 5.3 supports multi-terabyte filesystems.

    I suspect that you still have 3 primary partitions.
    RW Guest