Professional Web Applications Themes

dual boot / windows 2000 and linux? install what one first? - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

HI, How well does the dual boot work when running windows 2000 and linux? The computer would have 2 hard drives in them. do you need to have windows on first and then install linux or install linux and set up a boot loader and then install windows? thank you, Chad...

  1. #1

    Default dual boot / windows 2000 and linux? install what one first?

    HI,

    How well does the dual boot work when running windows 2000 and linux?
    The computer would have 2 hard drives in them. do you need to have windows
    on first and then install linux
    or install linux and set up a boot loader and then install windows?

    thank you,

    Chad

    Chad Guest

  2. #2

    Chad Pauli wrote:

    In general, it is common practice to install windows first (because
    windows goes nuts on your MBR) and linux second. This is not a
    requirement, though, if you don't mind setting up a boot loader
    yourself. If this is your first time running linux, I would suggest
    installing windows first, on the first HDD (though, again, not
    required), and then installing linux second, allowing the installer to
    handle the multi-boot configuration of the boot loader for you. If
    you're more of a do-it-your-selfer, or you'd like to learn more about
    the workings of your customized machine, check out the HOWTOs at
    www.tldp.org There is a HOWTO for just about any configuration
    combination you can come up with on an x86 machine.

    Cheers,
    -Nick

    Nick Guest

  3. #3

    Chad Pauli wrote:

    windows == install first
    Linux == install after windows, then write boot loader (such
    as grub) to the MBR and use it to boot Linux/win
    ..
    Fifth Law of Procrastination: Procrastination avoids boredom; one
    never has the feeling that there is nothing important to do.

    mjt Guest

  4. #4

    hi, can i installed linux in logical partition with lilo ? I installed
    in logical drive and use lilo ,linux does not boot up as multiboot.
    Pls help.

    Regards,
    Daniel

    mjt <com> wrote in message news:<7jynb.6221$news.pas.earthlink.net>...

    > windows == install first
    > Linux == install after windows, then write boot loader (such
    > as grub) to the MBR and use it to boot Linux/win
    > .[/ref]
    Daniel Guest

  5. #5

    Daniel Tan wrote:
     [/ref]

    .... <<< please note that i have fixed the top post to a
    properly formatted bottom-post reply
    .... >>>

    .... yes, you CAN install Linux into a logical partition - and
    this does make sense. one reason why your system might not be
    booting is if you are running an older BIOS, which wont allow
    bootable partitions beyond the 1024 cylinder limit. either
    that, or something is mis-configured about your boot up
    ..
    Acid -- better living through chemistry.

    mjt Guest

  6. #6

    dot wrote:

    > In general, it is common practice to install windows first (because
    > windows goes nuts on your MBR) and linux second. This is not a
    > requirement, though, if you don't mind setting up a boot loader
    > yourself. If this is your first time running linux, I would suggest
    > installing windows first, on the first HDD (though, again, not
    > required), and then installing linux second, allowing the installer to
    > handle the multi-boot configuration of the boot loader for you. If
    > you're more of a do-it-your-selfer, or you'd like to learn more about
    > the workings of your customized machine, check out the HOWTOs at
    > www.tldp.org There is a HOWTO for just about any configuration
    > combination you can come up with on an x86 machine.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > -Nick[/ref]

    I might be corrected here, but isn't Windows 2000 an NT system, and doesn't
    that complicate matters? Apart from that, if you install Windows second,
    it will overwrite the bootloader put there by LILO, while if you install
    Linux second, it will automatically create a dual-boot system.

    Doug.
    --
    Registered Linux User No. 277548.
    They say lightning never strikes twice in the same place. My typing is

  7. #7

    On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 10:39:41 -0500, Nick Dimiduk
    <""dimiduk\"cis(dot)ohio(dash)state.edu> wrote:

    >[/ref]
    , check out the HOWTOs at

    The "HOWTOS" are in alpahbetical order:

    DSL-HOWTO, DSL HOWTO for Linux

    DVD-HOWTO, Linux DVD HOWTO

    Ecology-HOWTO, Linux Ecology HOWTO

    You notice there is NO HOWTO for DUAL BOOT.

    As usual, the needed information is NOT THERE, because the intent is
    that the "newbie" never, never, never, ever get's a working Linux
    system.

    Euneek Guest

  8. #8

    On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 18:11:15 GMT, mjt
    <com> wrote:

    >windows == install first
    >Linux == install after windows, then write boot loader (such
    > as grub) to the MBR and use it to boot Linux/win
    >.[/ref]
    Yeah, and then the first time you boot Windows, it will overwrite the
    MBR!
    Guffaw!
    Lead those newbies down the garden path! Make sure they get hour upon
    hour of useless frustration! ALWAYS with-hold the crucial info!
    Euneek Guest

  9. #9

    Euneek uttered the immortal words:

    No it won't. I have Win2k and Debian on this box and WinXP and Debian on
    another box and the only time the MBR gets overwritten is when I run /sbin
    lilo.

    --
    Andy.
    Andy Guest

  10. #10

    Euneek wrote:
     [/ref]

    ... what a CLUELESS statement. this is NOT true
    ..
    Captain Penny's Law: You can fool all of the people some of the time,
    and some of the people all of the time, but you Can't Fool Mom.

    mjt Guest

  11. #11

    On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 18:42:35 -0500, Euneek wrote:

    >>windows == install first
    >>Linux == install after windows, then write boot loader (such
    >> as grub) to the MBR and use it to boot Linux/win
    >>.[/ref]
    > Yeah, and then the first time you boot Windows, it will overwrite the
    > MBR!
    > Guffaw!
    > Lead those newbies down the garden path! Make sure they get hour upon
    > hour of useless frustration! ALWAYS with-hold the crucial info![/ref]
    Silence is better when you know nothing.
    --
    Neil
    My address is Spamless.

  12. #12

    On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 00:15:36 +0000, Andy Fraser
    <com> wrote:

    >No it won't. I have Win2k and Debian on this box and WinXP and Debian on
    >another box and the only time the MBR gets overwritten is when I run /sbin
    >lilo.[/ref]
    Yes it will. I have W98SE and RedHat 9.1 on this machine, and every
    time I boot W98 it tries to write to the MBR, and is only stopped
    because BIOS antivirus setting diplays warning on screen and gives
    choice of allowing MBR change or not. Total annoyance.
    Euneek Guest

  13. #13

    Euneek uttered the immortal words:

    >>No it won't. I have Win2k and Debian on this box and WinXP and Debian on
    >>another box and the only time the MBR gets overwritten is when I run /sbin
    >>lilo.[/ref]
    > Yes it will. I have W98SE and RedHat 9.1 on this machine, and every
    > time I boot W98 it tries to write to the MBR, and is only stopped
    > because BIOS antivirus setting diplays warning on screen and gives
    > choice of allowing MBR change or not. Total annoyance.[/ref]

    You're the only person affect that I know of then. I've dual-booted with
    Win98, Win2k and WinXP without any problems and have never heard of Windows
    trying to rewrite the MBR on boot unless the PC is virused or running a
    utility designed to rewrite the MBR if it changes.

    --
    Andy.
    Andy Guest

  14. #14

    In article <bo6efc$18htk4$news.uni-berlin.de>, Andy Fraser wrote:
    >> Yes it will. I have W98SE and RedHat 9.1 on this machine, and every
    >> time I boot W98 it tries to write to the MBR, and is only stopped
    >> because BIOS antivirus setting diplays warning on screen and gives
    >> choice of allowing MBR change or not. Total annoyance.[/ref]
    >
    > You're the only person affect that I know of then. I've dual-booted with
    > Win98, Win2k and WinXP without any problems and have never heard of Windows
    > trying to rewrite the MBR on boot unless the PC is virused or running a
    > utility designed to rewrite the MBR if it changes.
    >[/ref]

    In this case the most convienent "quick-fix" may be to keep a boot
    floppy in the drive. AFAIK your problem is rare, Windows 98 should not
    re-write the MBR on boot.
    josbat@bergen.org Guest

  15. #15

    "Andy Fraser" <com> wrote in message
    news:bo6efc$18htk4$news.uni-berlin.de... [/ref][/ref]
    /sbin
    > > Yes it will. I have W98SE and RedHat 9.1 on this machine, and every
    > > time I boot W98 it tries to write to the MBR, and is only stopped
    > > because BIOS antivirus setting diplays warning on screen and gives
    > > choice of allowing MBR change or not. Total annoyance.[/ref]
    >
    > You're the only person affect that I know of then. I've dual-booted with
    > Win98, Win2k and WinXP without any problems and have never heard of[/ref]
    Windows

    Are you sure it's not Norton Utilities and not Win98 doing this?

    Nico Guest

  16. #16

    On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 07:11:58 -0500,
    Euneek <com> wrote:

    > >No it won't. I have Win2k and Debian on this box and WinXP and Debian on
    > >another box and the only time the MBR gets overwritten is when I run /sbin
    > >lilo.[/ref]
    > Yes it will. I have W98SE and RedHat 9.1 on this machine, and every
    > time I boot W98 it tries to write to the MBR, and is only stopped
    > because BIOS antivirus setting diplays warning on screen and gives
    > choice of allowing MBR change or not. Total annoyance.[/ref]

    Just a guess, but check to see if your virus scanner in windows scans
    the MBR. Many scanners have an option to scan for changes in the MBR
    and compare against the standard or a known good copy made when
    installed, or just compare against known boot viruses.

    Otherwise do a virus/trojan scan. After it is installed
    windows shouldn't touch the MBR unless you tell it.

    Michael C.
    --
    com http://mcsuper5.freeshell.org/

    Michael Guest

  17. #17

    org uttered the immortal words:

    This is for Nico too. Why are you both replying to me? I have no problems
    with Windows and the MBR. I rarely boot to Windows these days anyway :-)

    --
    Andy.
    Andy Guest

  18. #18

    Andy Fraser wrote:

    .... because you're THERE :)
    ..
    Prof: So the American government went to IBM to come up with
    a data encryption standard and they came up with ...
    Student: EBCDIC!"

    mjt Guest