Professional Web Applications Themes

Dual booting XP, Linux with Grub, on Dell - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

This is something that I have struggled with most of today. So, I will post it here, for anyone else who might have a similar problem. I bought another Dell, running XP, and then a second hard drive. I installed RedHat on the second hard drive. For the boot loader, I used GRUB, and put it on the main hard drive with the MBR (master boot record). Unlike lilo, GRUB did not make the dual booting easy. It didn't ask me how to configure the boot and When I went to reboot, I only had the choice for Linux. I ...

  1. #1

    Default Dual booting XP, Linux with Grub, on Dell

    This is something that I have struggled with most
    of today. So, I will post it here, for anyone
    else who might have a similar problem.

    I bought another Dell, running XP, and then a second
    hard drive. I installed RedHat on the second hard drive.
    For the boot loader, I used GRUB, and put it on the main
    hard drive with the MBR (master boot record).

    Unlike lilo, GRUB did not make the dual booting easy.
    It didn't ask me how to configure the boot and
    When I went to reboot, I only had the choice for Linux.

    I edited the file:

    /boot/grub/grub.conf

    and added the entry that the book said:

    title Windows XP
    rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    chainloader +1

    This did give me something. It gave me a choice for XP,
    which brought up a Dell Diagnostics GUI. There was no
    button to "proceed", and I clicked the x to close the
    program/window. It only rebooted, and brought up GRUB
    choices once again.

    After much trial and error, the solution was to
    have an entry:

    title Windows XP
    rootnoverify (hd0,1)
    makeactive
    chainloader +1

    So, I hope this helps anyone who is struggling with
    the same problem.

    Note: be sure to use init 6 to reboot.

    If you haven't noticed, the primary hard drive on XP
    actually has two partitions. The first one is
    only about 39 megs, is not given a drive letter
    by Windows. In xp, use compmgmt.msc to see it.
    It contains the master boot record (MBR), although I
    couldn't figure out which it was. (mounted the
    drive in linux). Does anyone know?
    linuxquestion@yahoo.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Dual booting XP, Linux with Grub, on Dell

    [newsgroups line trimmed of extraneous groups]

    On 23 Nov 2003 20:49:52 -0800, in article
    <google.com>, com
    wrote:

    That's a manufacturer's thing, not an XP thing. Compaq, on at least some
    of their systems, puts its setup code in a disk partition rather than in
    NVRAM like the rest of the civilized world. Since it isn't formatted
    suitable for Winders, it doesn't get a drive letter. Apparently Dell has
    gotten the same stupid idea.

    The MBR is stored in sector 0 of the drive. The setup partition isn't.

    --
    "[O]bviously Linux owes its heritage to Unix, but not its code.
    We would not, nor will not, make such a claim."

  4. #4

    That little 39MB partition actually has nothing to do with Windows XP at
    all. It's a dell diagnostic partition. Compaq/HP uses them too. They contain
    a custom diagnostic that runs under a mini-version of windows (usually
    Win98) that's why when you used (hd0,0) for your boot selection it booted to
    the Dell diagnostics. Typically booting to this partition is triggered by
    hitting F10 or some similar keystroke during the boot sequence.

    <com> wrote in message

    Bit Guest

  5. #5

    On 23 Nov 2003 20:49:52 -0800, com wrote:

    ..... BZZZZZT!!! that first one doesnt belong to eXPensive!
    it's a diagnostic partition provided by dell
    ..
    Due to a shortage of devoted followers, the production of
    great leaders has been discontinued.
    mjt Guest

  6. #6

    "mjt" <com> wrote in message

    So what if Windows is eXPensive? Unlike you cheapskate linuxfux, we Windows
    users can afford to pay for it, can afford a machine with sufficient grunt
    to run it on, and CHOOSE to do so.

    --
    Your Free Insult: Thou individuating, girting, mushy profligate starring trainspotter.
    Kadaitcha Guest

  7. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Diogenes Guest
    Moderated Post

  8. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Ed Guest
    Moderated Post

  9. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Sinister Guest
    Moderated Post

  10. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Diogenes Guest
    Moderated Post

  11. #11

    fsck him. We linux users can put our money to better use. Since we don't
    need a 2 GHz machine to run calc.exe, we can afford things like Mercedes and
    Lexus.

    "Kadaitcha Man" <cjb.net> wrote in message

    > So what if Windows is eXPensive? Unlike you cheapskate linuxfux, we[/ref]
    Windows
    trainspotter.

    Paul Guest

  12. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Diogenes Guest
    Moderated Post

  13. #13

    Paul Sheaffer wrote:

    Can't everybody? What are there out there, poor people?

    --
    - relic -
    They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken.

  14. #14

    Paul Sheaffer wrote:

    Er, we don't need to substitute large, fast cars for small es, but if
    we CHOSE to do so, we could afford both the computer and the fast car.

    --
    Your Free Insult: Thou defiling, disfiguring, dandified habitual criminal enfilading dunce.

    Kadaitcha Guest

  15. #15

    relic wrote:

    > Can't everybody? What are there out there, poor people?[/ref]

    That's one of the reasons they use linux and run it on machines us normal
    folk would have for a boat anchor.

    --
    Your Free Insult: Thou repeating, cauterising, hated flimflam misspending ice-cream seller.
    Kadaitcha Guest

  16. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    (O)-^-(O) Guest
    Moderated Post

  17. #17

    On Mon, 25 Nov 2003, Kadaitcha Man wrote:

    That's the power of linux. It runs on everything. We can even install it
    on you and make you useful.

    (O)-^-(O) Guest

  18. #18

    (O)-^-(O) wrote:

    > That's the power of linux. It runs on everything. We can even install
    > it on you and make you useful.[/ref]

    You're going to have a job finding somewhere to put the CD.

    --
    Your Free Insult: Thou suggesting, ruling, clunky apple-john respiting codpiece.
    Kadaitcha Guest

  19. #19

    (O)-^-(O) wrote:

    > That's the power of linux. It runs on everything. We can even install it
    > on you and make you useful.[/ref]

    Although it would run quite slowly on such a 1 1/2 braincell machine
    --
    Only two things are infinite,
    the Universe and Stupidity.

  20. #20

    On 25 Nov 2003 07:13:49 +0100, "Kadaitcha Man" <cjb.net> wrote:

    there you go folks, 'K-Man' admits to having a small one!
    ..
    Down with categorical imperative!
    mjt Guest

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast