The slow down would really be remarkable if you keep the browser open when you have images open and you're working on them. Not if you turn off Preferences>File Browser>Allow Background Processing. Unless you're actually using the FB in the foreground, it doesn't take up any RAM, just some scratch space. I keep the FB open as a matter of course, and have done so for well over a year. Unless the FB is actually doing something—reading metadata, building thumbs and previews—it has zero impact on foreground operations [allowsmilie] => 1 [showsignature] => 0 [ipaddress] => [iconid] => 0 [visible] => 1 [attach] => 0 [infraction] => 0 [reportthreadid] => 0 [isusenetpost] => 1 [msgid] => <3bb3c62a.5@webx.la2eafNXanI> [ref] => <3bb3c62a.-1@webx.la2eafNXanI> [htmlstate] => on_nl2br [postusername] => Bruce_Fraser@adobeforums.com [ip] => Bruce_Fraser@ad [isdeleted] => 0 [usergroupid] => [membergroupids] => [displaygroupid] => [password] => [passworddate] => [email] => [styleid] => [parentemail] => [homepage] => [icq] => [aim] => [yahoo] => [msn] => [skype] => [showvbcode] => [showbirthday] => [usertitle] => [customtitle] => [joindate] => [daysprune] => [lastvisit] => [lastactivity] => [lastpost] => [lastpostid] => [posts] => [reputation] => [reputationlevelid] => [timezoneoffset] => [pmpopup] => [avatarid] => [avatarrevision] => [profilepicrevision] => [sigpicrevision] => [options] => [akvbghsfs_optionsfield] => [birthday] => [birthday_search] => [maxposts] => [startofweek] => [referrerid] => [languageid] => [emailstamp] => [threadedmode] => [autosubscribe] => [pmtotal] => [pmunread] => [salt] => [ipoints] => [infractions] => [warnings] => [infractiongroupids] => [infractiongroupid] => [adminoptions] => [profilevisits] => [friendcount] => [friendreqcount] => [vmunreadcount] => [vmmoderatedcount] => [socgroupinvitecount] => [socgroupreqcount] => [pcunreadcount] => [pcmoderatedcount] => [gmmoderatedcount] => [assetposthash] => [fbuserid] => [fbjoindate] => [fbname] => [logintype] => [fbaccesstoken] => [newrepcount] => [vbseo_likes_in] => [vbseo_likes_out] => [vbseo_likes_unread] => [temp] => [field1] => [field2] => [field3] => [field4] => [field5] => [subfolders] => [pmfolders] => [buddylist] => [ignorelist] => [signature] => [searchprefs] => [rank] => [icontitle] => [iconpath] => [avatarpath] => [hascustomavatar] => 0 [avatardateline] => [avwidth] => [avheight] => [edit_userid] => [edit_username] => [edit_dateline] => [edit_reason] => [hashistory] => [pagetext_html] => [hasimages] => [signatureparsed] => [sighasimages] => [sigpic] => [sigpicdateline] => [sigpicwidth] => [sigpicheight] => [postcount] => 7 [islastshown] => [isfirstshown] => [attachments] => [allattachments] => ) -->How about in Photoshop 7.0.1? It's been well over a year since I even launched Photoshop 7.0.1, but if I remember correctly, it didn't have any preferences and I recommended keeping it closed unless it was actually in use. Whole different animal. [allowsmilie] => 1 [showsignature] => 0 [ipaddress] => [iconid] => 0 [visible] => 1 [attach] => 0 [infraction] => 0 [reportthreadid] => 0 [isusenetpost] => 1 [msgid] => <3bb3c62a.7@webx.la2eafNXanI> [ref] => <3bb3c62a.-1@webx.la2eafNXanI> [htmlstate] => on_nl2br [postusername] => Bruce_Fraser@adobeforums.com [ip] => Bruce_Fraser@ad [isdeleted] => 0 [usergroupid] => [membergroupids] => [displaygroupid] => [password] => [passworddate] => [email] => [styleid] => [parentemail] => [homepage] => [icq] => [aim] => [yahoo] => [msn] => [skype] => [showvbcode] => [showbirthday] => [usertitle] => [customtitle] => [joindate] => [daysprune] => [lastvisit] => [lastactivity] => [lastpost] => [lastpostid] => [posts] => [reputation] => [reputationlevelid] => [timezoneoffset] => [pmpopup] => [avatarid] => [avatarrevision] => [profilepicrevision] => [sigpicrevision] => [options] => [akvbghsfs_optionsfield] => [birthday] => [birthday_search] => [maxposts] => [startofweek] => [referrerid] => [languageid] => [emailstamp] => [threadedmode] => [autosubscribe] => [pmtotal] => [pmunread] => [salt] => [ipoints] => [infractions] => [warnings] => [infractiongroupids] => [infractiongroupid] => [adminoptions] => [profilevisits] => [friendcount] => [friendreqcount] => [vmunreadcount] => [vmmoderatedcount] => [socgroupinvitecount] => [socgroupreqcount] => [pcunreadcount] => [pcmoderatedcount] => [gmmoderatedcount] => [assetposthash] => [fbuserid] => [fbjoindate] => [fbname] => [logintype] => [fbaccesstoken] => [newrepcount] => [vbseo_likes_in] => [vbseo_likes_out] => [vbseo_likes_unread] => [temp] => [field1] => [field2] => [field3] => [field4] => [field5] => [subfolders] => [pmfolders] => [buddylist] => [ignorelist] => [signature] => [searchprefs] => [rank] => [icontitle] => [iconpath] => [avatarpath] => [hascustomavatar] => 0 [avatardateline] => [avwidth] => [avheight] => [edit_userid] => [edit_username] => [edit_dateline] => [edit_reason] => [hashistory] => [pagetext_html] => [hasimages] => [signatureparsed] => [sighasimages] => [sigpic] => [sigpicdateline] => [sigpicwidth] => [sigpicheight] => [postcount] => 9 [islastshown] => [isfirstshown] => [attachments] => [allattachments] => ) --> Dual Monitor Setup and Photoshop CS - Adobe Photoshop & Illustrator
Professional Web Applications Themes

Dual Monitor Setup and Photoshop CS - Adobe Photoshop & Illustrator

I have a G4 OSX, PS CS etc.. I'm about to take the plunge into the dual monitor setup and was curious if I can run the browser as well as the tools on one monitor while keeping the work on another. With the dual setup can you still use TAB to bring the tools in and out over the browser?.. It seems like it would be great to be able to run the browser on a separate monitor from time to time. Thanks George...

Default Dual Monitor Setup and Photoshop CS

I have a G4 OSX, PS CS etc.. I'm about to take the plunge into the dual monitor setup and was curious if I can run the browser as well as the tools on one monitor while keeping the work on another. With the dual setup can you still use TAB to bring the tools in and out over the browser?.. It seems like it would be great to be able to run the browser on a separate monitor from time to time.
    Thanks
    George
    George_Stark@adobeforums.com Guest

Default Re: Dual Monitor Setup and Photoshop CS

Well, I just tried it, and it works for me in Panther 10.3.3 and Photoshop 7.0.1.

I like to keep the browser on the main monitor, same as the image I'm working on; but I just tried what you suggest and confirmed it's possible. What the tab key does is hide the palettes alltogether.

My Photoshop 8 hasn't arrived, but I assume that hasn't changed.
    Ramón_G_Castañeda@adobeforums.com Guest

the browser would be behind the tools.

hard to see.

ne need to have the browser open all the time. waste of RAM
    Buko@adobeforums.com Guest

Yes, that would slow you down considerably.

I wouldn't keep it going all the time, but sometimes it would be nice when building montages etc. to scan other images in the browser on a second monitor while keeping the project full screen on the main monitor. Unlike most of you folks, I'm a casual user of Photoshop and can afford to waste a little RAM from time to time. Thanks for the info Ramon ! As always I appreciate your time.
    George
    George_Stark@adobeforums.com Guest

George,

The slow down would really be remarkable if you keep the browser open when you have images open and you're working on them. I'm talking about your having to stare at the monitor for several seconds while you go from one tool to another, for instance. Only you can decide whether that's worth it to you.

There's no harm in trying, of course; but my feeling is you're going to give up on that idea real soon.

-->The slow down would really be remarkable if you keep the browser open when you have images open and you're working on them.

Not if you turn off Preferences>File Browser>Allow Background Processing. Unless you're actually using the FB in the foreground, it doesn't take up any RAM, just some scratch space.

I keep the FB open as a matter of course, and have done so for well over a year. Unless the FB is actually doing something—reading metadata, building thumbs and previews—it has zero impact on foreground operations
    Bruce_Fraser@adobeforums.com Guest

Bruce,

How about in Photoshop 7.0.1? (I'm expecting Photoshop 8 to arrive tomorrow.) I don't even see a File Browser preference in Photoshop7.

-->How about in Photoshop 7.0.1?

It's been well over a year since I even launched Photoshop 7.0.1, but if I remember correctly, it didn't have any preferences and I recommended keeping it closed unless it was actually in use. Whole different animal.
    Bruce_Fraser@adobeforums.com Guest

Thanks, Bruce. That clears it up.