Professional Web Applications Themes

Dumb mistake... - Photography

In Thom Hogan's book (CD) one of the tips he gives is to make sure when you put your camera away you change any settings back to normal. Well, I had just taken some macro photos using an incandescent lamp, had changed the wb, and put it away like that. Later that day I grabbed the camera to shoot a cat that someone brought over (very cool looking cat, exotic, expensive hybrid) and used the flash. Anybody want some pictures of a blue cat? It's exotic, but it ain't blue. And because I didn't shoot the images in RAW it ...

  1. #1

    Default Dumb mistake...

    In Thom Hogan's book (CD) one of the tips he gives is to make sure when you
    put your camera away you change any settings back to normal. Well, I had
    just taken some macro photos using an incandescent lamp, had changed the wb,
    and put it away like that. Later that day I grabbed the camera to shoot a
    cat that someone brought over (very cool looking cat, exotic, expensive
    hybrid) and used the flash.

    Anybody want some pictures of a blue cat? It's exotic, but it ain't blue.
    And because I didn't shoot the images in RAW it wasn't easy adjusting the
    colors back. I used Nikon Capture and used the red blue and green
    sliders -- got very close. Anybody have an easier way to fix something like
    this?

    At least I did get some good shots after I set the wb back to automatic.

    Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Dumb mistake...

    Color Temperature Correction plugin:
    http://plugin.artdesign.ru/
    http://plugin.artdesign.ru/agdcolor.zip

    "Sheldon" <net> wrote in message
    you
    wb,

    blue.
    like

    RSD99 Guest

  3. #3

    On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 22:57:13 -0700, in rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
    "Sheldon" <net> wrote:

    PSP, Adjust => Color balance => Grey Wold Balance
    ----------
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 (Ruf.com)
    See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
    Ed Guest

  4. #4

    "Sheldon" <net> wrote in message
    I did something very similar myself when I first went digital. I shot a
    bunch of portraits in a room that had flourescent overheads that couldn't be
    turned off for some stupid reason or other. As I was using studio strobes
    anyway I set a custom WB using a sheet of white paper shot under the
    strobes. Everything went fine with the portraits printing out the right
    colour.

    The next day I went to an airshow. Got lots of shots of very pretty military
    jets whizzing around....all with a distinctly green cast.

    canongirly Guest

  5. #5

    On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 12:54:40 -0000, "canongirly" <com> wrote:

    ---snip---
    >I did something very similar myself when I first went digital. I shot a
    >bunch of portraits in a room that had flourescent overheads that couldn't be
    >turned off for some stupid reason or other. As I was using studio strobes
    >anyway I set a custom WB using a sheet of white paper shot under the
    >strobes. Everything went fine with the portraits printing out the right
    >colour.
    >
    >The next day I went to an airshow. Got lots of shots of very pretty military
    >jets whizzing around....all with a distinctly green cast.[/ref]

    Oh God, a lot of us have done the same thing, of course NEVER more
    than once, right?!? <grin>. Oh and I've never done it myself of
    course (cough cough, wink, nudge).

    Thank God and Adobe for photoshop!

    Drifter
    "I've been here, I've been there..."
    Drifter Guest

  6. #6

    Sheldon wrote:

    It's a common error, and digital cameras are much worse that film as
    there are so many additional setting related to the capture. You can in
    many instances correct for it.

    Try pulling the blues and increasing the red/yellow.

    I don't like trusting the auto-WB. I prefer setting the light
    temperature and that works for the three main cases, sunlight/flash
    (5500K), incandecent (2800K) and open shade (I haven't found the temp
    yet, but my camera goes up to 9900K so I'll start there. It's -12C
    outside, so I'm no rush to do this...)

    Cheers,
    Alan

    Alan Guest

  7. #7

    I find that using Curves in Photoshop CS is a quick way of correcting a lot
    of mistakes like this. Doesn't always work, but it is worth a try. Using
    Options in the Curves of Layer box and clicking the white or black squares
    to set their values to extreme white and black can be very helpful.

    C Guest

  8. #8

    Thanks for the suggestions, and letting me know I'm not the only one out
    there who does this. I guess that's what the tips in the book are for. :-)
    And I just finished reading the book!

    Sheldon Guest

  9. #9

    Sheldon <net> wrote:

    At least you had something reasonably correctable! I did the same thing
    with the ISO on my istDS. I took a picture or two at 3200 just to see.
    The next day, snapped lots of photos of my niece from Texas. Couldn't
    figure out why they were so noisy until I looked at the Exif info.

    Dave

    --
    There's a fine line between stupid and clever.
    Dave Guest

  10. #10

    "Sheldon" <net> wrote in message
    you

    My frequent mistake doesn't ruin the pictures, but it makes you look like an
    idiot! When I do macro or still life type shots, with a tripod, I set the
    camera to timer mode because this is what the infra red remote control needs
    it to be on. You feel like an idiot next day when you press the shutter and
    then have to stand there for 10 seconds before the shutter releases.
    H.

    Hannah Guest

  11. #11

    On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 22:01:13 -0000, in rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
    "Hannah" <com> wrote:

    >you
    >
    >My frequent mistake doesn't ruin the pictures, but it makes you look like an
    >idiot! When I do macro or still life type shots, with a tripod, I set the
    >camera to timer mode because this is what the infra red remote control needs
    >it to be on. You feel like an idiot next day when you press the shutter and
    >then have to stand there for 10 seconds before the shutter releases.[/ref]

    Be glad you don't have to keep resetting this after every shot!
    ----------

  12. #12

    Hahaha, I do both the 10 sec timer and WB things. I've been faithfully
    setting things back to normal and AWB lately, though.

    G.T. Guest

  13. #13

    Sheldon wrote:

    I have a different approach. I Always assume I left the camera in a bad
    state, and that all settings are suspect every time I turn it on. It
    doesn't take long to check them.

    Austin

    AustinMN Guest

  14. #14

    On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 10:55:51 -0600, AustinMN <net> wrote:

    Now I now what the ammo fairy does to relax -- puts bad settings on
    cameras.

    :-)

    (The ammo fairy, my gun-toting friends tell me, is the entity who
    loads your unloaded gun when you put it down for even a second.)

    --
    Ben Rosengart (212) 741-4400 x215
    --Josh Micah Marshall

  15. #15

    AustinMN wrote:

    Me too. (But a _little_ more discipline would help.)

    The problem, although it's rare for me, is for people who grab events as
    they occur. It is best to always have your camera in a known state when
    you grab it from the bag.

    One thing I sometimes do is leave the mirror lockup mode engaged, which
    on a Maxxum means you press the shutter and the mirror lifts and then
    there's a 2 sec. delay before the shutter releases... so, you develop
    the habit of just holding still when this occurs and get the shots
    anyway (as long as there's no action involved).

    Cheers,
    Alan.

    Alan Guest