Professional Web Applications Themes

Dup 2: Bad File Descriptor...Whuzzat mean? - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

I'm running Red Hat 7.2 (I think, kernel 2.4.7-10 according to uname -a) on my home computer. I had trouble deleting a cd.iso image on my last good boot. I shut it down normally this morning. This afternoon when I tried to reboot it instead of rebooting I got a bunch of error messages ending with dup 2: Bad File Descriptor. I then was dropped into a repair mode where I had to enter the root password, or Cntl D to continue. I entered the root password, did an fsck (which didn't work). When I exited the machine attempted to ...

  1. #1

    Default Dup 2: Bad File Descriptor...Whuzzat mean?

    I'm running Red Hat 7.2 (I think, kernel 2.4.7-10 according to uname -a)
    on my home computer. I had trouble deleting a cd.iso image on my last
    good boot. I shut it down normally this morning. This afternoon when I
    tried to reboot it instead of rebooting I got a bunch of error messages
    ending with dup 2: Bad File Descriptor. I then was dropped into a repair
    mode where I had to enter the root password, or Cntl D to continue. I
    entered the root password, did an fsck (which didn't work). When I
    exited the machine attempted to reboot, whereupon I started the whole
    thing over again. Does anyone know what this means and what I should do
    about it?

    If I haven't included pertinent information I can look again once I get
    home. Any help would be appreciated.

    Mike

    Michael Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Dup 2: Bad File Descriptor...Whuzzat mean?

    Thanks for the quick answer. I'll give this a try.

    Mike

    Mauriat wrote:
    > [url]http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&selm=9358n4%243bl%241%40nnrp1.deja.com[/url]
    >
    > --
    >
    > Mauriat
    > ----------------------------
    > Remove 'NOSPAM' to email me.
    Michael Guest

  3. #3

    Michael wrote:
    > I'm running Red Hat 7.2 (I think, kernel 2.4.7-10 according to uname -a)
    > on my home computer. I had trouble deleting a cd.iso image on my last
    > good boot. I shut it down normally this morning. This afternoon when I
    > tried to reboot it instead of rebooting I got a bunch of error messages
    > ending with dup 2: Bad File Descriptor. I then was dropped into a repair
    > mode where I had to enter the root password, or Cntl D to continue. I
    > entered the root password, did an fsck (which didn't work). When I
    > exited the machine attempted to reboot, whereupon I started the whole
    > thing over again. Does anyone know what this means and what I should do
    > about it?
    >
    > If I haven't included pertinent information I can look again once I get
    > home. Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > Mike

    [url]http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&selm=9358n4%243bl%241%40nnrp1.deja.com[/url]

    --

    Mauriat
    ----------------------------
    Remove 'NOSPAM' to email me.

    Mauriat Guest

  4. #4

    I tried what was suggested in this posting and am still having the same problem.

    It suggests doing the following

    mount -n -o remount,rw /
    rm -f /dev/null
    mknoe -m 666 /dev/null c 1 3

    After issuing the 'mount -n -o remount,rw /'

    I get:

    mount: could not open /proc/partitions, so UUID and LABEL conversion cannot be done.

    mount: no such partition found.

    I'm not sure what to do from here. Any suggestions?

    output from the mount command gives:

    /dev/hda2 on / type ext2 (rw)
    none on /proc type proc (rw)
    none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5, mode=620)

    Even though it shows /dev/hda2 as read write, it seems to have stuck somehow as read only. I've had
    intermittent problems in the past of a device (a card reader) hanging up and showing as read only
    when it should be read,write. Reformatting it under DOS has fixed the problem. I'd like not to format
    this whole Hard Drive because there are things on it that I'd like to save.

    Mauriat wrote:
    > Michael wrote:
    > > I'm running Red Hat 7.2 (I think, kernel 2.4.7-10 according to uname -a)
    > > on my home computer. I had trouble deleting a cd.iso image on my last
    > > good boot. I shut it down normally this morning. This afternoon when I
    > > tried to reboot it instead of rebooting I got a bunch of error messages
    > > ending with dup 2: Bad File Descriptor. I then was dropped into a repair
    > > mode where I had to enter the root password, or Cntl D to continue. I
    > > entered the root password, did an fsck (which didn't work). When I
    > > exited the machine attempted to reboot, whereupon I started the whole
    > > thing over again. Does anyone know what this means and what I should do
    > > about it?
    > >
    > > If I haven't included pertinent information I can look again once I get
    > > home. Any help would be appreciated.
    > >
    > > Mike
    > >

    > [url]http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&selm=9358n4%243bl%241%40nnrp1.deja.com[/url]
    >
    > --
    >
    > Mauriat
    > ----------------------------
    > Remove 'NOSPAM' to email me.
    Michael Guest

  5. #5

    For anyone still following this thread-Success at last! At first the
    solution that Mauriat pointed me to didn't work.
    I did a little Googling around and pieced together the following:

    Somehow /proc wasn't getting mounted even though the ouput of the mount
    command showed it was mounted
    correctly. So I manually mounted it and then did what Mauriat suggested.
    Then I was able to boot normally.
    I then did an fsck just to be safe. So in all the solution went like this:

    mount /proc

    mount -o -n remote,rw /
    rm -f /dev/null
    mknod -m 666 /dev/null c 1 3

    I still have no idea what happened but now things are working for me. It
    might work for you but there are no
    guarantees.

    Michael

    Michael wrote: