Professional Web Applications Themes

[DVD burner] Which one to buy today? - Mac Applications & Software

I am thinking about buying an external firewire DVD burner for my G4 iMac 700mhz, 512MB ram. Which one would be today the best one, e.g. the most complete, that supports all the DVD formats available today? Will it be accompanied with a DVD mastering/editing software application? In any case, which is the best DVD mastering/editing application? DVD Studio Pro? Prices and links are welcome, as I live in Italy. TIA....

  1. #1

    Default [DVD burner] Which one to buy today?

    I am thinking about buying an external firewire DVD burner for my G4
    iMac 700mhz, 512MB ram.

    Which one would be today the best one, e.g. the most complete, that
    supports all the DVD formats available today?

    Will it be accompanied with a DVD mastering/editing software
    application?

    In any case, which is the best DVD mastering/editing application? DVD
    Studio Pro?

    Prices and links are welcome, as I live in Italy.

    TIA.
    MatFox Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: [DVD burner] Which one to buy today?

    In article <1fy7x6h.a4iel3s4ye26N%MatteoXYZ1963excite.it>,
    [email]MatteoXYZ1963excite.it[/email] (MatFox) wrote:
    > I am thinking about buying an external firewire DVD burner for my G4
    > iMac 700mhz, 512MB ram.
    >
    > Which one would be today the best one, e.g. the most complete, that
    > supports all the DVD formats available today?
    >
    > Will it be accompanied with a DVD mastering/editing software
    > application?
    >
    > In any case, which is the best DVD mastering/editing application? DVD
    > Studio Pro?
    >
    > Prices and links are welcome, as I live in Italy.
    >
    > TIA.
    If your warranty has expired, you might want to consider replacing the
    internal optical drive of your computer with a Pioneer DVR-105 (retail
    package is DVR-A05, including 2 blank DVD and some PC software), which
    Apple uses as their superdrive in G4 towers. I am not certain if it fits
    in your iMac. When I upgraded my G4 I found that it was about 2mm longer
    than the DVD-ROM drive that came with the computer.

    They are very cheap now because the new A06 is just arriving (similar
    except it handles DVD+ as well as DVD-). An internal drive uses no desk
    space, and is supported by iDVD 3 which is a cheap though limited way to
    burn optical DVDs. It is now also supported by Retrospect backup.
    --
    .... Al Quirt ... Ottawa Canada ...
    .... Please remove anti-spam BIRD for email replies ...

  3. #3

    Alan Quirt <HERONaquirtsympatico.ca> wrote:

    > If your warranty has expired,
    not yet, as I have the Apple care 3 years plan until 2005.

    you might want to consider replacing the
    > internal optical drive of your computer with a Pioneer DVR-105 (retail
    > package is DVR-A05, including 2 blank DVD and some PC software), which
    > Apple uses as their superdrive in G4 towers. I am not certain if it fits
    > in your iMac. When I upgraded my G4 I found that it was about 2mm longer
    > than the DVD-ROM drive that came with the computer.
    I am not really able to set up things myself; and the space within the
    iMac is extremely limited.

    > They are very cheap now because the new A06 is just arriving (similar
    > except it handles DVD+ as well as DVD-). An internal drive uses no desk
    > space, and is supported by iDVD 3 which is a cheap though limited way to
    > burn optical DVDs. It is now also supported by Retrospect backup.
    Does this A06 exist as external burner? Any link for technicalities the
    price?
    MatFox Guest

  4. #4

    In article <1fy8ejb.1rcji41iac45mN%MatteoXYZ1963excite.it> ,
    [email]MatteoXYZ1963excite.it[/email] (MatFox) wrote:
    > Alan Quirt <HERONaquirtsympatico.ca> wrote:
    >

    > > If your warranty has expired,
    > not yet, as I have the Apple care 3 years plan until 2005.

    OK, in that case you probably are best to stick with an external burner.

    > > They are very cheap now because the new A06 is just arriving (similar
    > > except it handles DVD+ as well as DVD-). An internal drive uses no desk
    > > space, and is supported by iDVD 3 which is a cheap though limited way to
    > > burn optical DVDs. It is now also supported by Retrospect backup.
    > Does this A06 exist as external burner? Any link for technicalities the
    > price?
    There are several companies selling external burners with Mac software.
    Two I have used are La Cie and Formac. The actual drive inside changes
    quite often, sometimes with no change in the model number on the box.
    Check the specifications (read and write speeds, kinds of media)
    carefully. Each has a different software bundle. And most new models
    will not be supported by other software such as Retrospect for quite a
    few months.

    My son has had decent results creating a DVD using a Formac drive and
    its DVD burning software. It has one big advantage over iDVD: instead of
    two fixed data rates (which give you a 60 or 90 minute DVD) it lets you
    choose any data rate that fits. That was a big advantage for his 62
    minute DVD.

  5. #5

    In article <HERONaquirt-5E9B40.22134116072003news21.bellnet.ca>, Alan
    Quirt <HERONaquirtsympatico.ca> wrote:
    > If your warranty has expired, you might want to consider replacing the
    > internal optical drive of your computer with a Pioneer DVR-105 (retail
    > package is DVR-A05, including 2 blank DVD and some PC software), which
    > Apple uses as their superdrive in G4 towers. I am not certain if it fits
    > in your iMac. When I upgraded my G4 I found that it was about 2mm longer
    > than the DVD-ROM drive that came with the computer.
    Were you able to fit it?
    > It is now also supported by Retrospect backup.
    The Retrospect web site wasn't completely clear on this -- they say
    support APPLE's version of the drive.

    --
    David Dunham A Sharp [email]davidSPAM_B_GONE.a-sharp.com[/email]
    [url]http://www.pensee.com/dunham/[/url]

  6. #6

    In article <200720032048409735%dunhamSPAM_B_GONE.pensee.com> ,
    David Dunham <dunhamSPAM_B_GONE.pensee.com> wrote:
    > In article <HERONaquirt-5E9B40.22134116072003news21.bellnet.ca>, Alan
    > Quirt <HERONaquirtsympatico.ca> wrote:
    >
    > > If your warranty has expired, you might want to consider replacing the
    > > internal optical drive of your computer with a Pioneer DVR-105 (retail
    > > package is DVR-A05, including 2 blank DVD and some PC software), which
    > > Apple uses as their superdrive in G4 towers. I am not certain if it fits
    > > in your iMac. When I upgraded my G4 I found that it was about 2mm longer
    > > than the DVD-ROM drive that came with the computer.
    >
    > Were you able to fit it?
    No problem. In a G4 tower there is lots of space (though you have to
    pull off the conductive tape holding an EMI shield in place, and move
    the shield out a tad). In the original poster's G4 iMac space is tighter
    and it could be an issue. If Apple uses this drive it must fit, but they
    could be using a different make in the iMac.

    > > It is now also supported by Retrospect backup.
    >
    > The Retrospect web site wasn't completely clear on this -- they say
    > support APPLE's version of the drive.
    It works fine with the Pioneer version. Unfortunately Retrospect
    totally refuses to write any kind of CD in a DVR-105, but I expect that
    will be fixed next release.

  7. #7

    In article <bellnet.ca>, Alan
    Quirt <ca> wrote:

    I ended up wimping out (I didn't want to take my web server down for an
    indefinite period if anything went wrong) and getting an external drive
    from OtherWorld Computing -- I think it's also a DVR-105.

    Works fine with Retrospect, and the enclosure isn't terribly noisy.

    --
    David Dunham A Sharp a-sharp.com
    http://www.pensee.com/dunham/
    "I say we should listen to the customers and give them what they want."
    "What they want is better products for free." --Scott Adams
    David Guest