Professional Web Applications Themes

DVD RECORDERS - Adobe Photoshop Elements

Andrew and others, I have just gotten into burning DVD's in the past few months, and am having a ball with no only Stills, but converting all my old camcorder tapes to DVD. I too had the concern about formats and took forever to decide to make the jump because of this. What I did was buy the Sony DRU-500A. This model burner which is external btw, burns to all formats. The only problem with buying a burner just for your particular format is if you wish to make a copy for someone else... will their machine play it? Just ...

  1. #21

    Default Re: DVD RECORDERS

    Andrew and others,

    I have just gotten into burning DVD's in the past few months, and am having a ball with no only Stills, but converting all my old camcorder tapes to DVD. I too had the concern about formats and took forever to decide to make the jump because of this. What I did was buy the Sony DRU-500A. This model burner which is external btw, burns to all formats. The only problem with buying a burner just for your particular format is if you wish to make a copy for someone else... will their machine play it?

    Just my opinion, but I love mine.....

    Bruce
    Bruce Frazier Guest

  2. #22

    Well, boys and girls, I did it, I bought the Sony machine which takes three out of the four formats, all except DVD+R, and very impressive it is too. It's a bit more complicated to use than a VCR but the quality of picture is substantially better, and you can split recordings into scenes, give them names, and so on. If you have stock in a company which makes videotape now is the time to dump it because it has as much future as photographic film!
    Andrew Guest

  3. #23

    Thanks for letting us know what you decided, Andrew. I was just telling hubby a day or two ago that it was time for us to consider moving into the 2000s. :)

    I'm going to have to do more research, but there is something I'm not understanding. Bruce said his Sony would handle all formats, and Andrew says his will do three out of four. Is this because they're different Sony models? I thought DVD+R was one of the "standards" Microsoft is plugging. Or have I got this confused with something closely related but not the same?
    Beth Guest

  4. #24

    Beth,

    Microsoft did jump on the + media bandwagon, of which +R belongs. Why Andrew's machine doesn't support +R but does +RW, I have no idea.

    Joe
    Joe Guest

  5. #25

    Andrew

    Where did you get it from ?

    If you don't mind.

    Paul
    Paul Guest

  6. #26

    Paul: I bought it from an outfit called Electro Centre (0121-554 1878). They took my order at 3 p.m. on a Friday and it reached me on Monday at 10 a.m.

    They sold it me as a multi-regional but it only played "foreign" DVDs in monochrome. I consulted Tridek (0117 904 6733, www.multi-region.co.uk) who sorted me out and whom I cannot recommend too highly. UK readers please note: if you consider it your right to bring in US DVD's and play them here their website is worth consulting. They can either take your player in and get it back to you or in some cases send you, for a modest fee, a one-use remote which does the job.

    However, in this case they were able to tell me what to do by email and if anyone has the same problem: just change the Video output in Settings to the choice on the bottom of the screen and the job is done.
    Andrew Guest

  7. #27

    That Sony should support 4 out of 5 standards, but those would be DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, and DVD+RW.

    The only format it doesn't support (at least in the USA) is DVD-RAM.
    Lou Guest

  8. #28

    Ok, I hate to resurrect a really old thread, but for those who still have questions about this topic, I just found a really informative and easily understandable article <http://www.roxio.com/en/interest/articles/product/choosing_media.jhtml> over at Roxio. <http://www.roxio.com>. According to the research the DVD-R format is the most compatible.

    Joe
    Joe_Henry1000@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #29

    While being at it, I did try different disc brands and Maxell came up to be more compatible with my devices (Sony DVD player, LG DVD-ROM drive) than my other choices. My burner is a HP. Of course, this is not a scientific test :-)

    Ray
    Raymond Guest

  10. #30

    This subject came up not long ago on a Mac forum I frequent, and Maxell was also most compatible with the Pioneer drives in Macs, along with Apple brand. Since I don't have a burner, I haven't done any experimenting on my own. Someday. :)
    Beth_Haney@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #31

    They're real cheap now. Plextor just came out with an 8x DVD+R burner for $209. And they're supported in OS X 10.3 Panther now.
    Lou_M@adobeforums.com Guest

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12