Professional Web Applications Themes

DVD RW - Mac Applications & Software

"Charles L. Snyder" <csnyder1kc.rr.com> writes: > > PB g4 - back to mac from windows > How do I get a DVD RW to work - I have a 'superdrive' dvd/cd reader > writer (obviously) but although cds burn fine, any DVD RW is simply > ejected after insertion. Is there 3rd party software necessary to > write and read from reusable DVD media ? First off, check which model drive you have (the Apple System Profiler will telly ou) and do some web/newsgroup searches. I don't think all Superdrives are DVD-RW compatible. If you find that your drive is ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: DVD RW

    "Charles L. Snyder" <csnyder1kc.rr.com> writes:

    > PB g4 - back to mac from windows
    > How do I get a DVD RW to work - I have a 'superdrive' dvd/cd reader
    > writer (obviously) but although cds burn fine, any DVD RW is simply
    > ejected after insertion. Is there 3rd party software necessary to
    > write and read from reusable DVD media ?
    First off, check which model drive you have (the Apple System Profiler
    will telly ou) and do some web/newsgroup searches. I don't think all
    Superdrives are DVD-RW compatible.

    If you find that your drive is compatible, make sure you have the
    right kind of media. DVD+R and DVD+RW is _NOT_ compatible with DVD-R
    and DVD-RW drives. (Not counting some newer drives that are
    specifically designed to suport all four types of media.)

    -- David
    David C. Guest

  2. #2

    "Gordon B. Alley" <galleytexas.net> writes:

    > IIRC, OS X technically doesn't support DVD-RW discs for burning. But
    > I believe Toast will let you burn them in the SuperDrive.
    OS X supports DVD-RW, DVD+R and DVD+RW just fine, if you have such a
    drive. Application support, however is something else.

    In 10.1 (never used 10.0), none of the Apple-provided programs would
    burn a DVD-RW, although several third-party programs would (I have
    personal experience using Toast and Retrospect with DVD-RW in my
    SuperDrive.)

    In 10.2, the Finder will burn a DVD-RW and the Disk Utility program
    will erase a DVD-RW, even in a SuperDrive. So Apple does support
    these kinds of drives today.

    That's the technical side of things. On the political side, Apple
    will not admit that a SuperDrive (at least most of the versions of
    it) has DVD-RW capabilities. But this just means you won't get tech
    support out of them if you use it in that capacity.
    > Also, I've seen reports of a way to trick iDVD into burning a DVD-RW
    > disc. IIRC, you insert a DVD-R when it asks for one, and then after
    > it has seen the DVD-R and starts preparing to record, you eject the
    > DVD-R and replace it with a DVD-RW.
    I've heard about this.

    This is an explicit hack around a deliberate "feature" of iDVD. The
    program itself is theoretically capable of burning to anything, but
    Apple doesn't want to let you use it in anything other than a
    SuperDrive, which (officially, anyway) isn't supposed to support
    DVD-RW media.

    FWIW, I'm told that DVD Studio Pro will burn to DVD-RW, DVD+R and
    DVD+RW and will support non-Apple drives. Of course, that would be
    expected for a $1000 product.

    -- David
    David C. Guest

  3. #3

    In article <m28yrmrs0i.fsfqqqq.invalid>, [email]shaminotechie.com[/email] (David C.)
    wrote:
    > "Gordon B. Alley" <galleytexas.net> writes:
    > >
    > > IIRC, OS X technically doesn't support DVD-RW discs for burning. But
    > > I believe Toast will let you burn them in the SuperDrive.
    >
    > OS X supports DVD-RW, DVD+R and DVD+RW just fine, if you have such a
    > drive. Application support, however is something else.
    Are you sure that DVD+R and DVD+RW are supported by OS X directly? I'm
    99% sure that you need Toast to burn DVD+R and DVD+RW discs with a
    DVD+Whatever drive.
    > In 10.2, the Finder will burn a DVD-RW and the Disk Utility program
    > will erase a DVD-RW, even in a SuperDrive. So Apple does support
    > these kinds of drives today.
    Yep! I remember being very excited when 10.2 came out. I never tried
    burning a DVD-RW in 10.1 but I heard that for some people it worked.
    > That's the technical side of things. On the political side, Apple
    > will not admit that a SuperDrive (at least most of the versions of
    > it) has DVD-RW capabilities. But this just means you won't get tech
    > support out of them if you use it in that capacity.
    Yeah, and I think it's very weird that they do that! They do mention in
    Disk Utility that it can erase DVD-RW discs, but they deny in other
    places (like their knowledge base) that DVD-RW is supported.

    Doug

    --
    Doug Brown - La Grande, OR
    Idiot's Guide to Mac Cases - [url]http://www.ircandy.com/maccases/[/url]

  4. #4

    Doug Brown <macg3pleasenospam.mac.com.invalid> writes:

    > Are you sure that DVD+R and DVD+RW are supported by OS X directly?
    > I'm 99% sure that you need Toast to burn DVD+R and DVD+RW discs with
    > a DVD+Whatever drive.
    As far as I know, it's the same device driver and API calls for all
    kinds of drives. If anything doesn't work, it would be due to the
    software explicitly checking for and rejecting them. Which would
    surprise me, since 10.2 removed the checks for DVD-RW.
    >> That's the technical side of things. On the political side, Apple
    >> will not admit that a SuperDrive (at least most of the versions of
    >> it) has DVD-RW capabilities. But this just means you won't get
    >> tech support out of them if you use it in that capacity.
    >
    > Yeah, and I think it's very weird that they do that! They do mention
    > in Disk Utility that it can erase DVD-RW discs, but they deny in
    > other places (like their knowledge base) that DVD-RW is supported.
    Disk Utility can erase DVD-RW discs, but officially this is only for
    third-party DVD-RW drives that you may choose to buy and install on
    your own. Officially, the SuperDrive doesn't have that capability.

    As for why they stick with this line, I don't know. My guess is that
    they haven't yet made a corporate decision to ensure that all future
    SuperDrives have DVD-RW capability. If they start advertising such a
    capability, then they will be unable to select a DVD-R-only drive for
    any systems in the future. (IIRC, some of the PowerBook SuperDrives
    don't support -RW.)

    -- David
    David C. Guest

  5. #5

    ---------------SNIPPED----------------
    > > Also, I've seen reports of a way to trick iDVD into burning a DVD-RW
    > > disc. IIRC, you insert a DVD-R when it asks for one, and then after
    > > it has seen the DVD-R and starts preparing to record, you eject the
    > > DVD-R and replace it with a DVD-RW.
    >
    > I've heard about this.
    >
    > This is an explicit hack around a deliberate "feature" of iDVD. The
    > program itself is theoretically capable of burning to anything, but
    > Apple doesn't want to let you use it in anything other than a
    > SuperDrive, which (officially, anyway) isn't supposed to support
    > DVD-RW media.
    >
    > FWIW, I'm told that DVD Studio Pro will burn to DVD-RW, DVD+R and
    > DVD+RW and will support non-Apple drives. Of course, that would be
    > expected for a $1000 product.
    >
    > -- David
    Just for interest sakes, the iDVD "hack" (i.e.e eject DVd-R and then
    hit the eject butotn and replace DVD with a DVD-RW) to burn DVD's with
    DVD-RW does work fine. I've done it several times now with iDVD 2.0
    under OSX 10.2.x and the DVD-RW disks play fine - both on my Macs and
    my DVD Players too.

    Milton Aupperle
    [url]www.outcastsoft.com[/url]
    Milton Aupperle Guest

  6. #6

    In article <m24r29u813.fsfqqqq.invalid>, [email]shaminotechie.com[/email] (David C.)
    wrote:
    > As far as I know, it's the same device driver and API calls for all
    > kinds of drives.
    Interesting! I wish I had a DVD+RW drive to test with!
    > Disk Utility can erase DVD-RW discs, but officially this is only for
    > third-party DVD-RW drives that you may choose to buy and install on
    > your own. Officially, the SuperDrive doesn't have that capability.
    Ah, ok...gotcha!
    > As for why they stick with this line, I don't know. My guess is that
    > they haven't yet made a corporate decision to ensure that all future
    > SuperDrives have DVD-RW capability. If they start advertising such a
    > capability, then they will be unable to select a DVD-R-only drive for
    > any systems in the future. (IIRC, some of the PowerBook SuperDrives
    > don't support -RW.)
    That's correct. Some of the PowerBook SuperDrives are a DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW
    with the + side of things intentionally disabled too.

    Doug

  7. #7

    Doug Brown <macg3pleasenospam.mac.com.invalid> writes:

    > That's correct. Some of the PowerBook SuperDrives are a
    > DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW with the + side of things intentionally disabled
    > too.
    You're referring to the one in the 12" and 17" PowerBooks, right?
    According to what I was able to find on-line, that drive also supports
    DVD-RAM, but the Apple version is missing the firmware needed to use
    it. Which is a real shame - DVD-RAM is a really nifty drive.

    -- David
    David C. Guest

  8. #8

    In article <m2wuf5zqmk.fsfqqqq.invalid>, [email]shaminotechie.com[/email] (David C.)
    wrote:
    > Doug Brown <macg3pleasenospam.mac.com.invalid> writes:
    > >
    > > That's correct. Some of the PowerBook SuperDrives are a
    > > DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW with the + side of things intentionally disabled
    > > too.
    >
    > You're referring to the one in the 12" and 17" PowerBooks, right?
    > According to what I was able to find on-line, that drive also supports
    > DVD-RAM, but the Apple version is missing the firmware needed to use
    > it. Which is a real shame - DVD-RAM is a really nifty drive.
    I haven't kept up with the PowerBook revisions, but I know that Apple
    uses Mata drives in some of the PowerBooks and I think that's the
    drive that also supports DVD-RAM. Yeah, DVD-RAM is pretty awesome :)

    I think I may be confusing myself with the Sony drive that is being used
    in some of the iMacs. I think -that- is the drive that supports DVD-R,
    DVD-RW, DVD+R, and DVD+RW. But again, I haven't kept up enough. But ISTR
    iMac users wanting to get the Sony drive instead of the Pioneer drive
    for that reason. (And I think Apple disabled the +R/+RW in that firmware
    too, but I can't remember)

    Doug

  9. #9

    In article <3F055C9C.C3593B7Cdslextreme.com>, Keith Whaley
    <keith_wdslextreme.com> wrote:
    > Please be kind enough to explain what +R and +RW are.
    > I would identify DVD-R and DVD-RW as read only and read/write capable.
    > So what's +R and +RW?
    Also read-only and read/write capable. They're just two completely
    different, incompatible technologies. Specific drives can either
    handle DVD-R [and often DVD-RW], while others can only handle DVD+R and
    DVD+RW. There are some multiformat drives starting to come on the
    market that can do either, but they're fairly new.

    DVD-R is more compatible with a broader range of consumer DVD players,
    which can be a real issue if you want to burn video DVDs. (More home
    DVD players can't handle DVD+R discs.) DVD-R media is also a bit
    cheaper.

    --
    Garner R. Miller
    Manchester, CT =USA=

  10. #10

    On Fri, 04 Jul 2003 16:56:20 GMT, "Wayne C. Morris"
    <wayne.morristhis.is.invalid> wrote:
    >It's another technology for recordable & rewritable DVD discs. It
    >accomplishes the same thing as DVD-R and DVD-RW, but works a different
    >way. DVD-R and DVD+R were invented by different companies/coalitions,
    >and there isn't a clear winner yet in the marketplace.
    I'd say DVD+R/+RW is the clear winner, based on the fact that 97% of
    the market is owned by that type, and the leader of the -R/-RW
    movement, Pioneer, just switched to a universal (-R/-RW/+R/+RW) format
    with the A06.
    foo Guest

  11. #11

    Keith Whaley <keith_wdslextreme.com> writes:

    > Please be kind enough to explain what +R and +RW are.
    > I would identify DVD-R and DVD-RW as read only and read/write capable.
    > So what's +R and +RW?
    When DVD-ROMs came out, different companies started working on
    standards for recordable and rewriteable DVDs.

    Three different standards emerged.

    The first one to have shipping commercial products was DVD-RAM.
    2.6GB (later expanded to 4.7), and optionally double-sided. DVD-RAM
    has features that make is suitable for use as a giant floppy (similar
    to things like Zip, Jaz, and MO.) DVD-RAM's biggest drawback is that
    it can't burn a disc that is readable by video-DVD players.

    The next one to ship product was DVD-R (soon followed by DVD-RW).
    This standard was spearheaded by Pioneer. DVD-R is a write-once
    technology (like CD-R). DVD-RW is a write-then-erase technology
    (like CD-RW) and is not really suitable for use as a giant floppy.
    DVD-R discs can be read by many (but not all) DVD-video players.

    Most recently is DVD+R and DVD+RW. These have similar features as
    DVD-R/-RW, but they are incompatible. This standard is spearheaded
    by Sony. DVD+R discs can be read by many DVD-video players (but not
    as many as DVD-R.)

    Today, we're finding many manufacturers making multi-standard drives
    that support both -R/-RW and +R/+RW, and some are even including
    DVD-RAM support as well. I suspect that in the final ysis, most
    people will end up with drives that support all three, but we're not
    quite there yet.

    -- David
    David C. Guest

  12. #12

    In article <17nbgvgo3j3iduq9hsn9vngf7hoqljtc164ax.com>,
    foo <foobar.com> wrote:
    > On Fri, 04 Jul 2003 16:56:20 GMT, "Wayne C. Morris"
    > <wayne.morristhis.is.invalid> wrote:
    >
    > >It's another technology for recordable & rewritable DVD discs. It
    > >accomplishes the same thing as DVD-R and DVD-RW, but works a different
    > >way. DVD-R and DVD+R were invented by different companies/coalitions,
    > >and there isn't a clear winner yet in the marketplace.
    >
    > I'd say DVD+R/+RW is the clear winner, based on the fact that 97% of
    > the market is owned by that type, and the leader of the -R/-RW
    > movement, Pioneer, just switched to a universal (-R/-RW/+R/+RW) format
    > with the A06.
    Yes, several manufacturers did recently introduce (-R/-RW/+R/+RW)
    drives including Pioneer (who originated -R/-RW). But they don't seem to
    know what format will win either.

    Micro$oft also announced they are putting -R/-RW support in Windows.

    I am afraid we are facing a VHS/Beta scenario again. I guess only the
    market will determine a winner.

    DVD-RAM is another incompatible DVD format, but that seems out as DVD
    home players don't read that format for the most part.

    Who knows.
    Morenuf
    morenuf Guest

  13. #13

    Amazing!
    Be sure to provide confusion for the market...

    Thanks for the clarification.

    keith whaley

    Garner Miller wrote:

    > In article <3F055C9C.C3593B7Cdslextreme.com>, Keith Whaley
    > <keith_wdslextreme.com> wrote:
    >
    > > Please be kind enough to explain what +R and +RW are.
    > > I would identify DVD-R and DVD-RW as read only and read/write capable.
    > > So what's +R and +RW?
    >
    > Also read-only and read/write capable. They're just two completely
    > different, incompatible technologies. Specific drives can either
    > handle DVD-R [and often DVD-RW], while others can only handle DVD+R and
    > DVD+RW. There are some multiformat drives starting to come on the
    > market that can do either, but they're fairly new.
    >
    > DVD-R is more compatible with a broader range of consumer DVD players,
    > which can be a real issue if you want to burn video DVDs. (More home
    > DVD players can't handle DVD+R discs.) DVD-R media is also a bit
    > cheaper.
    >
    > --
    > Garner R. Miller
    > Manchester, CT =USA=
    Keith Whaley Guest

  14. #14

    "Wayne C. Morris" wrote:

    > In article <3F055C9C.C3593B7Cdslextreme.com>,
    > Keith Whaley <keith_wdslextreme.com> wrote:
    >
    > > Please be kind enough to explain what +R and +RW are.
    > > I would identify DVD-R and DVD-RW as read only and read/write capable.
    >
    > You would be wrong. "R" isn't "read only". The "R" and "RW stand for
    > "Recordable" and "ReWriteable", just like they do for CD burners. A
    > read-only DVD drive or data disc is called "DVD-ROM", and a read-only CD
    > drive or data disc is called "CD-ROM", but the "-ROM" is often dropped
    > from both.
    Thanks for the correction. Obviously I have been thinking of them
    incorrectly. Even tho' I use them properly! But, I needed the
    elaboration and pointing out my improper designations.

    Keith Whaley

    > > So what's +R and +RW?
    >
    > It's another technology for recordable & rewritable DVD discs. It
    > accomplishes the same thing as DVD-R and DVD-RW, but works a different
    > way. DVD-R and DVD+R were invented by different companies/coalitions,
    > and there isn't a clear winner yet in the marketplace.
    >
    > A DVD-R blank cannot be used in a DVD+R drive, and a DVD+R blank cannot
    > be used in a DVD-R drive. (There are some hybrid drives that support
    > both media.)
    >
    > DVD burners of both types can also burn CDs (CD-R and CD-RW).
    >
    > Some DVD-ROM drives can burn CDs, but not DVDs.
    Keith Whaley Guest

  15. #15

    In article <280620031913049291%miltonSAPMMUSTDIEoutcastsoft. com.invalid>,
    Milton Aupperle <miltonSAPMMUSTDIEoutcastsoft.com.invalid> wrote:
    >In article <m28yrmrs0i.fsfqqqq.invalid>, David C. <shaminotechie.com>
    >wrote:
    >
    >> "Gordon B. Alley" <galleytexas.net> writes:
    >
    >---------------SNIPPED----------------
    >> > Also, I've seen reports of a way to trick iDVD into burning a DVD-RW
    >> > disc. IIRC, you insert a DVD-R when it asks for one, and then after
    >> > it has seen the DVD-R and starts preparing to record, you eject the
    >> > DVD-R and replace it with a DVD-RW.
    >>
    >> I've heard about this.
    >>
    >> This is an explicit hack around a deliberate "feature" of iDVD. The
    >> program itself is theoretically capable of burning to anything, but
    >> Apple doesn't want to let you use it in anything other than a
    >> SuperDrive, which (officially, anyway) isn't supposed to support
    >> DVD-RW media.
    >>
    >> FWIW, I'm told that DVD Studio Pro will burn to DVD-RW, DVD+R and
    >> DVD+RW and will support non-Apple drives. Of course, that would be
    >> expected for a $1000 product.
    >>
    >> -- David
    >
    >Just for interest sakes, the iDVD "hack" (i.e.e eject DVd-R and then
    >hit the eject butotn and replace DVD with a DVD-RW) to burn DVD's with
    >DVD-RW does work fine. I've done it several times now with iDVD 2.0
    >under OSX 10.2.x and the DVD-RW disks play fine - both on my Macs and
    >my DVD Players too.
    Also you can simply mount a blank DVD-RW on the Desktop with the Finder, then
    hit Burn in iDVD, it'll burn the disc just fine. Sadly my JVC DVD player only reads
    DVD-R/+R and not DVD-RW.

    -Jason

    --
    Jason Perez | "Frodo Lives!" "Gig 'em!"