Professional Web Applications Themes

DVD Video vs. MPEG 2 - Macromedia Director Basics

Hi What's the difference between DVD Video and MPEG 2? Is there a site I can go to. I'm asking because I just downloaded Director 2004 and I can't import any DVD Video. Do I need to have a project already built (from a dvd authoring program) and import that I can import MPEG 2 using a third party xtra. Any help would be appreciated Thanks Br...

  1. #1

    Default DVD Video vs. MPEG 2

    Hi

    What's the difference between DVD Video and MPEG 2? Is there a site I can go
    to.
    I'm asking because I just downloaded Director 2004 and I can't import any DVD
    Video.
    Do I need to have a project already built (from a dvd authoring program) and
    import that
    I can import MPEG 2 using a third party xtra.

    Any help would be appreciated

    Thanks
    Br

    noodle989 Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: DVD Video vs. MPEG 2

    Hi Br,

    Director MX 2004 officially supports only properly authored VOB files. VOB
    files are specialized MPEG-2 files containing the MPEG-2 data along with
    navigation and search info. These files should be located in a folder
    called "video_ts" and placed in the root level of the CD or Hard drive.
    You may have to use a 3rd-party xtra if you want to play other type of mpeg2
    videos

    Regards,
    Mike Soriano
    Macromedia Technical Support

    "noodle989" <brianturningpointfilms.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > What's the difference between DVD Video and MPEG 2? Is there a site I can
    go
    > to.
    > I'm asking because I just downloaded Director 2004 and I can't import any
    DVD
    > Video.
    > Do I need to have a project already built (from a dvd authoring program)
    and
    > import that
    > I can import MPEG 2 using a third party xtra.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated
    >
    > Thanks
    > Br

    Mike Soriano Guest

  3. #3

    There's a big difference between MPEG 2 and DVD Video and it's not just one is
    a VOB file held in a VIDEO_TS folder

    An MPEG 2 is like having a GIF in a web page and a DVD Video is like having a
    Web page for that image to be linked to or for that matter a QT movie

    With all other media you can directly link inside Director. With a DVD you
    need it as a volume. The concept of having a VIDEO_TS folder in root on a data
    DVD might cause the onboard DVD player to boot

    That's a pretty ugly situation

    But if you have it in the root folder on a CD it should not cause the onboard
    software DVD player to engage

    Anyway for the best DVD Video experience you need to author it in say DVD
    Studio Pro 2 in OSX. The advantage of DVD is it's cross platform and you don't
    need to install extras

    The downside to DVD is that on a PC it's not been that easy till now to
    provide extra links to web etc. at least without having a very expensive
    Hollywood set up

    Director offers a chance to be able to offer additional functions for PC users
    that will work rather than might work

    The only problem is

    1) Macromedia doentation is unclear on how to link to a VIDEO_TS folder
    when insert >DVD does not work with a folder but only with a mounted volume

    2) How is it good or polite to make a customer suffer having a DVD PC software
    player boot before you can even use the projector

    I'm still playing with this but the doentation needs better examples

    Saying that this is a great start to deliver DVD content

    And the last good reason to author VOB file rather than an MPEG 2 is that it
    plays with less overhead on the PC and it's lighter

    Good luck and let's hope we can get some in depth help. I use TFDVD.com which
    is membership only but it's the best place for anything DVD

    I also use TFDVDEdit 2 for making my DVD's up to Hollywood spec but this costs
    money as does the membership

    DVD authoring is simple at a basic level, like using Director is easy at a
    basic level

    Good luck

    Pete

    [q][i]Originally posted by: noodle989[/i
    Hi

    What's the difference between DVD Video and MPEG 2? Is there a site I can go
    to.
    I'm asking because I just downloaded Director 2004 and I can't import any DVD
    Video.
    Do I need to have a project already built (from a dvd authoring program) and
    import that
    I can import MPEG 2 using a third party xtra.

    Any help would be appreciated

    Thanks
    Bri[/q

    oxenburgh Guest