Professional Web Applications Themes

DXF - Relatively Impossible - Adobe Illustrator Windows

What's the deal with DXF and Illustrator CS? DXF and Illustrator had a shaky relationship before, but I think the last straw was broken and DXF left the house after being fed up with Illustrators bloated, drunken tirades. I make a 6 by 6 inch square in Illustrator and it won't even export the lines in correct relation to each other. I make the same square in BobCad and it imports in Illustrator so small I can't even define the correct scale proportion (used to use %2536) because of the wonderful new feature that doesn't allow me to put it ...

  1. #1

    Default DXF - Relatively Impossible

    What's the deal with DXF and Illustrator CS? DXF and Illustrator had a shaky relationship before, but I think the last straw was broken and DXF left the house after being fed up with Illustrators bloated, drunken tirades. I make a 6 by 6 inch square in Illustrator and it won't even export the lines in correct relation to each other. I make the same square in BobCad and it imports in Illustrator so small I can't even define the correct scale proportion (used to use %2536) because of the wonderful new feature that doesn't allow me to put it over %100. Upon scaling it up manually its just as inconsistent as before, what's the deal? Why does the best drawing program have the worst support for one of the most technically accepted and widespread formats?
    Peter_Witt@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: DXF - Relatively Impossible

    Peter, I use a conversion program called "Cadmover" to convert DXF docs into AI. Its made by Kandu Software. Eddie
    Eddie_Ostrowski@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    If you have Acrobat Pro, you could consider creating a pdf from AutoCAD and opening this in Illustrator.
    Philo_Calhoun@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    I do have Acrobat Pro and I will attempt your suggestion Philo. Thanks for the comment Eddie but I'm using Il. CS which is v11 (KANDUs program stops at version 8) - nonetheless, I don't exactly think paying any amount of money for a peice of conversion software is sensible considering I already paid for the feature once when I bought Illustrator. We use alot of BobCAD around here so I'm going to start toying with AutoCAD, maybe their insidious relationship with Adobe will help ease some of these conversion woes - but probably not.
    Peter_Witt@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    I guess I didn't realize 8 ) is a smiley face. How incredibly lame :(
    Peter_Witt@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Yes. So is B). It's annoying as hell.
    Harron_K._Appleman@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    With AutoCAD you can go into the Units dialog and set your "Drag-and-drop
    scale" to Millimeters. This will give you inches-to-inches measurement when
    you open the AutoCAD file in Illustrator.

    --

    Rick Moore
    Barnes Gromatzky Kosarek Architects

    Rick Moore Guest

  8. #8

    Stop being such big anti-emoticon grumps!

    "There is no emoticon for the way I am feeling right now"

    -Comic Book Guy (The Simpsons)
    Timothy_Foolery®@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Out of everything I've googled/read on the subject I never once was lead in the direction Derrick suggested. We don't use AutoCAD but we use BobCAD and so I changed the 'working environment' of the BobCAD design to Millimeters and it imports perfectly in Illustrator. A quick switch back to inches and everything is as it was before - without any ridiculous scaling, loss of radii or any other sort of corruption. Similarly I can design as normal in Illustrator and make sure I am exporting in a millimeter setting for it to read correctly in our CAD software. Simple fix using Millimeters as a go-between. I really am greatful for your help Derrick, without you I was totally lost and getting very frustrated. You rock! :)
    Peter_Witt@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    Cool, that made my day

  11. #11

    I am having similar problems. I design on Ai cs5 and send it as dxf. My co-worker gets it on bobcad and lines arent connected or paths are doubled on top of each other or yes the scale is off. Every time I look back at the Ai file its fine. Its driving me crazy.
    tilweed@hotmail.com Guest