Professional Web Applications Themes

Dynamic Database Question - Macromedia Dreamweaver

Brad wrote: > I am just getting started with mySQL and I am going to be using it to > store news articles for my site and I am assuming it is better to > save my articles as formatted HTML .txt files and then refer to them > through the database but I wanted to see if anyone else had any other > ideas. I don't think that's a good idea, although I admit it is the method I still use on the first online database of news items I created. The problem with doing so is that your ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Dynamic Database Question

    Brad wrote:
    > I am just getting started with mySQL and I am going to be using it to
    > store news articles for my site and I am assuming it is better to
    > save my articles as formatted HTML .txt files and then refer to them
    > through the database but I wanted to see if anyone else had any other
    > ideas.
    I don't think that's a good idea, although I admit it is the method I still
    use on the first online database of news items I created. The problem with
    doing so is that your items are stuck in that format forever.

    I think it's better to store your material as plain text, and let your
    server technology do the formatting as it draws the material from the
    database. For instance, take a look at my Computer Bookshelf:

    [url]http://japan-interface.co.uk/webdesign/bookshelf.php?cat=16[/url]

    All the information in there is (with very few exceptions) stored as plain
    text, with information such as title, author, publisher, etc in its own
    record. That means that when I redesign the site, I can create searches for
    authors, publishers, etc. I can also change the style I use, or drop a
    particular part.

    Ideally, further down the line, I will store material as XML, giving much
    greater flexibility.

    If you're storing material in a database, make haste slowly with the DB
    design, as it will affect the way you can use or adapt it in future.

    --
    David Powers
    No-nonsense reviews of computer books

    David Powers Guest

  2. #2

    I have this in another thread that I started but I was hoping you could help
    me with this. I was wondering how to put the site with the
    mySQL database connected using Dreamweaver. Do I need to setup it up anyway
    specific as far as passwords and usernames go? I established a connection
    just using localhost and root with no password, but I have a feeling that
    will not be what I need to upload it to the net.

    "David Powers" <methisisntmyaddress.com> wrote in message
    > Brad wrote:
    > > I am just getting started with mySQL and I am going to be using it to
    > > store news articles for my site and I am assuming it is better to
    > > save my articles as formatted HTML .txt files and then refer to them
    > > through the database but I wanted to see if anyone else had any other
    > > ideas.
    >
    > I don't think that's a good idea, although I admit it is the method I
    still
    > use on the first online database of news items I created. The problem with
    > doing so is that your items are stuck in that format forever.
    >
    > I think it's better to store your material as plain text, and let your
    > server technology do the formatting as it draws the material from the
    > database. For instance, take a look at my Computer Bookshelf:
    >
    > [url]http://japan-interface.co.uk/webdesign/bookshelf.php?cat=16[/url]
    >
    > All the information in there is (with very few exceptions) stored as plain
    > text, with information such as title, author, publisher, etc in its own
    > record. That means that when I redesign the site, I can create searches
    for
    > authors, publishers, etc. I can also change the style I use, or drop a
    > particular part.
    >
    > Ideally, further down the line, I will store material as XML, giving much
    > greater flexibility.
    >
    > If you're storing material in a database, make haste slowly with the DB
    > design, as it will affect the way you can use or adapt it in future.
    >
    > --
    > David Powers
    > No-nonsense reviews of computer books
    > [url]http://japan-interface.co.uk/webdesign/books.html[/url]
    > Save 10% on TopStyle CSS Editor

    Brad Guest

  3. #3

    Brad wrote:
    :: I have this in another thread that I started but I was hoping you
    :: could help me with this. I was wondering how to put the site with the
    :: mySQL database connected using Dreamweaver. Do I need to setup it up
    :: anyway specific as far as passwords and usernames go? I established
    :: a connection just using localhost and root with no password, but I
    :: have a feeling that will not be what I need to upload it to the net.

    I started using MySQL and PHP before MX was released, so am not very
    familiar with the way most people develop dynamic sites using MX. I did,
    however, use ASP and Access before switching to my current setup. The big
    difference is that a database created in Access is just one big .mdb file
    that can be copied to a remote server by FTP. MySQL keeps things in more
    than one file, so transferring to a remote server is not just a question of
    copying one file. In theory, though, there should be no reason you cannot
    copy all the files. One thing you need to be careful about is whether the
    version of MySQL on your local machine is the same as on the remote server.
    Copying files created on a different version can create problems.

    I always design the basic concept locally, then set up a brand-new database
    on my remote server. At the same time, I transfer all the PHP interface
    files to the remote server. I can then build the database from a clean
    start. I also set up a cron job on my remote linux server to run mysqldump
    once every 24 hours. This creates a complete backup, which is then emailed
    to me automatically.

    If you want to build your database locally, you should investigate using
    mysqldump as the way to transfer it to your remote server.

    HTH

  4. #4

    cron job??? I too am migrating from asp to php and and am interested in this
    backup dump that is emailed to you as I would definitely need something
    similar.

    tia
    Shane

    > Brad wrote:
    > :: I have this in another thread that I started but I was hoping you
    > :: could help me with this. I was wondering how to put the site with the
    > :: mySQL database connected using Dreamweaver. Do I need to setup it up
    > :: anyway specific as far as passwords and usernames go? I established
    > :: a connection just using localhost and root with no password, but I
    > :: have a feeling that will not be what I need to upload it to the net.
    >
    > I started using MySQL and PHP before MX was released, so am not very
    > familiar with the way most people develop dynamic sites using MX. I did,
    > however, use ASP and Access before switching to my current setup. The big
    > difference is that a database created in Access is just one big .mdb file
    > that can be copied to a remote server by FTP. MySQL keeps things in more
    > than one file, so transferring to a remote server is not just a question
    of
    > copying one file. In theory, though, there should be no reason you cannot
    > copy all the files. One thing you need to be careful about is whether the
    > version of MySQL on your local machine is the same as on the remote
    server.
    > Copying files created on a different version can create problems.
    >
    > I always design the basic concept locally, then set up a brand-new
    database
    > on my remote server. At the same time, I transfer all the PHP interface
    > files to the remote server. I can then build the database from a clean
    > start. I also set up a cron job on my remote linux server to run mysqldump
    > once every 24 hours. This creates a complete backup, which is then emailed
    > to me automatically.
    >
    > If you want to build your database locally, you should investigate using
    > mysqldump as the way to transfer it to your remote server.
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > --
    > David Powers
    > No-nonsense reviews of computer books
    > [url]http://japan-interface.co.uk/webdesign/books.html[/url]
    > Save 10% on TopStyle CSS Editor

    Shane Anderson Guest

  5. #5

    Shane Anderson wrote:
    :: cron job??? I too am migrating from asp to php and and am interested
    :: in this backup dump that is emailed to you as I would definitely
    :: need something similar.

    Cron is the Linux/Unix facility that performs scheduled tasks. I have my own
    dedicated server, so have full control over what happens. You would need to
    ask your hosting company whether such facilities are available. Even if
    they're not, you would be well advised to make a regular backup of your
    databases. You'll probably find your hosting company offers some sort of
    graphical interface to MySQL. That may offer a simple method of creating a
    backup.

    I run MySQL from the command line, as I learned all I know from a book
    simply called "MySQL" by Paul DuBois (you can find out more about it by
    following the link in my earlier post). It answers just about every question
    I've got concerning the running and maintenance of MySQL. I find it
    indispensible.

    If you've got the option of running MySQL from the command line, try it.
    It's very straightforward, and very useful for testing queries. By seeing
    all the raw results displayed on screen, you can tell whether you're getting
    the right answers. I've discovered on many occasions that I was getting only
    partial results because of a simple mistake in my SQL syntax. Working
    through PHP or a graphical interface may not always alert you to such
    problems.