Professional Web Applications Themes

E-300 vignetting? - Photography

Hi, I'm on the point of buying an E-300 kit now that they've reached a sensible price in the UK (630 for the E-300 and the 14 -45 & 40 -150 lenses) I'm a bit concerned about some references to vignetting in a couple of reviews - could any 300 owners clarify whether this is a significant problem with the cheaper kit lenses? I know that the E-1 has 'in-camera' software to deal with vignetting, but it's not included on the 300 many thanks...

  1. #1

    Default E-300 vignetting?

    Hi, I'm on the point of buying an E-300 kit now that they've reached a
    sensible price in the UK (630 for the E-300 and the 14 -45 & 40 -150
    lenses)

    I'm a bit concerned about some references to vignetting in a couple of
    reviews - could any 300 owners clarify whether this is a significant problem
    with the cheaper kit lenses?

    I know that the E-1 has 'in-camera' software to deal with vignetting, but
    it's not included on the 300

    many thanks

    astrofax Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: E-300 vignetting?

    In article <net>, astrofax says...

    http://groups./group/MyOlympus/
    --

    Alfred Molon
    ------------------------------

  3. #3

    "Alfred Molon" <com> wrote in message
    In article <net>, astrofax says...

    http://groups./group/MyOlympus/

    Bit of a waste of time signing up to that one - all I could find were
    endless posts about the 'C' range of Olympus cameras.

    Do I take it that you don't know the answer to my question?

    astrofax Guest

  4. #4

    In article <net>, astrofax says...

    There is a large number of E300 users - put a question and you will get
    an answer.

    The reason you couldn't find posts about vignetting with the E300 is
    that nobody has complained so far about vignetting with the E300.
    --

    Alfred Molon
    ------------------------------

  5. #5

    > There is a large number of E300 users - put a question and you will get
    > an answer.

    > The reason you couldn't find posts about vignetting with the E300 is
    > that nobody has complained so far about vignetting with the E300.[/ref]

    OK, thanks - that's reassuring, but one or two of the reviews definitely
    mention it - and I believe that it's also an issue with the E1/14 - 54
    combination (although the E1 has in-camera compensation)

    Without wanting to sound patronising, is it possible that the forum members
    haven't mentioned it because they're not as picky as reviewers (and probably
    me) are?

    Anyway, on a more positive note, the first samples from the Canon 350 are
    appearing on the DP review user forum, and the issue seems to be stuck
    pixels that appear in some shots. I find this a bit comforting (not that I
    wish stuck pixels on anyone) because I was seriously tempted by the 350D but
    have virtually decided on Olympus due to the pixel mapping feature. So it
    sort of validates the decision - some people don't seem to care about dead
    pixels, but they really bug me (and they're not always as easy to clone out
    as some people claim)

    Could I also ask you for your opinion on the general quality of the Olympus
    14 - 45 & 40 - 150 lenses when compared to other manufacturers 'kit'
    offerings? - better?, about the same?, worse?

    Thanks

    astrofax Guest

  6. #6

    In article <net>, astrofax says...

    > OK, thanks - that's reassuring, but one or two of the reviews definitely
    > mention it - and I believe that it's also an issue with the E1/14 - 54
    > combination (although the E1 has in-camera compensation)
    >
    > Without wanting to sound patronising, is it possible that the forum members
    > haven't mentioned it because they're not as picky as reviewers (and probably
    > me) are?[/ref]

    That's possible, but usually people complain when there is a problem.

    Jens Birch (a forum member) complained recently about the 14-54, then we
    ran a test and it turned out that the lens is not so bad after all, and
    actually quite good (on an E1). But feel free to ask (am still using an
    8080 myself).
    --

    Alfred Molon
    ------------------------------

  7. #7

    In article <net>, com says...

    Because the E-300 is, for intents and purposes, a "full frame" camera,
    you're going to see some vignetting wide open on some lenses.

    If you process with Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) it has a fairly decent
    vignette removal tool for RAW files.

    Vignetting isn't that big of a deal on the APS-C sensors. The sensors
    are larger and more sensitive than the ones used in the 4/3rds cameras,
    but they use only the center portion of the 35mm frame, so any
    vignetting is occurring off the imaging plane. The original Digital
    Rebel and the D70 are going for pretty cheap these days should you
    decide to go that route.
    --
    http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird/
    Brian Guest

  8. #8

    In article <supernews.com>,
    com says...

    Complaining about the E-300 goes against the unspoken word among Oly
    dSLR shooters: No one must admit that other dSLRs are better.
    --
    http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird/
    Brian Guest

  9. #9

    "Brian C. Baird" <no> wrote in message
    In article <net>, com says...

    Because the E-300 is, for intents and purposes, a "full frame" camera,
    you're going to see some vignetting wide open on some lenses.

    If you process with Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) it has a fairly decent
    vignette removal tool for RAW files.

    Vignetting isn't that big of a deal on the APS-C sensors. The sensors
    are larger and more sensitive than the ones used in the 4/3rds cameras,
    but they use only the center portion of the 35mm frame, so any
    vignetting is occurring off the imaging plane. The original Digital
    Rebel and the D70 are going for pretty cheap these days should you
    decide to go that route.

    Thanks for a comprehensive answer - although I'm not too sure what 'full
    frame' means

    I've got PS & the RAW converter and had completely forgotten about the
    vignetting tool - thanks for reminding me.

    As for other makes - I've given the matter a lot of thought and it's really
    only the Olympus pixel mapping feature that draws me to the brand.

    To some people it might not be important, but to me it's an essential piece
    of software that should be standard on every digital camera - given that all
    sensors develop dead pixels over the months. I don't want the hassle of
    sending a Canon or Nikon back for factory re-mapping, and I certainly don't
    want the expense of paying for that re-mapping once the camera is out of
    warranty.

    Even from new no camera is immune - witness the dead and hot pixels
    exhibited in the first posted user images of the Canon 350. On balance I'd
    prefer to deal with the occasional (and I'm assuming that it is
    'occasional') vingetting issue than worry about dying pixels.

    Regards.

    astrofax Guest

  10. #10

    Have not heard any major complaints. (I have the E1 and the E300. Don't have
    the 14-45 lens, but do have the 11-22, 14-54, 40-150, 50 Macro and the 1.4
    TC. Have seen any serious vignetting problems with any of them on either
    body.)
    Another place you can check is the Olympus SLR forum at
    Digital Camera Reviews.

    Steven Guest

  11. #11

    In article <net>, astrofax says...

    Another big plus of the Olympus DSLRs is the supersonic dust shake
    mechanism, which removes the dust from the sensor every time you switch
    on the camera. Because of this dust is essentially a non-issue on
    Olympus DSLRs (see instead the numerous threads addressing the sensor
    dust topic on other brand DLSRs).
    --

    Alfred Molon
    ------------------------------

  12. #12

    In article <net>, com says...

    So far we have 3 stuck pixels on one body over 4-5 Rebel XT bodies that
    have posted sample photos. I wouldn't worry about it too much,
    especially when Photoshop's RAW converter does a good job of removing
    hot and dead pixels from an image automatically.

    My 10D has two semi-stuck pixels that I never see unless I shoot high
    ISO JPEGS. I don't lose sleep over it.

    If you don't need/want the high-ISO performance of the APS-C sensor
    dSLRs and you don't mind the 4/3rds system, by all means go for the
    E300. But I wouldn't let the stuck pixels sway you one way or another,
    especially since you have ACR.
    --
    http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird/
    Brian Guest

  13. #13

    "Brian C. Baird" <no> wrote in message

    I didn't know that PS RAW removed dead/hot pixels. I don't RAW as much as I
    used to and I can't remember whether I ever put any RAW E20 files through
    with dead pixels - but I certainly used the pixel mapping to get rid of a
    few that I noticed in Jpg's.

    Are you absolutely certain that the Adobe converter does this?

    astrofax Guest

  14. #14

    In article <net>, com says...

    > I didn't know that PS RAW removed dead/hot pixels. I don't RAW as much as I
    > used to and I can't remember whether I ever put any RAW E20 files through
    > with dead pixels - but I certainly used the pixel mapping to get rid of a
    > few that I noticed in Jpg's.
    >
    > Are you absolutely certain that the Adobe converter does this?[/ref]

    Yup. I didn't even know it did it until I shot some JPEGs on vacation.
    Sure enough, hot/stuck pixels in the JPEGs, none in any of the RAW files
    I snapped.

    Pixel mapping is pretty simple to do, and ACR seems to do it without
    thinking. I never get any 'hot' pixels in long exposures with ACR
    either. It never crossed my mind until I went back and did some
    comparisons with File Viewer Utility (the supplied Canon RAW converter)
    and noticed a number of hot pixels I never saw in the ACR conversions.

    Ever since then, I've loved ACR even more than I did before. I even
    tolerate CS's slowwww loading times for it.
    --
    http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird/
    Brian Guest

  15. #15

    "Brian C. Baird" wrote ...

    Well Brian, to paraphrase something I read recently, "Complaining about
    (Canon) goes against the unspoken word among (Canon) dSLR shooters: No one
    must admit that other dSLRs are better."

    Thought provoking words indeed...

    Rob

    Basic Guest

  16. #16

    astrofax wrote:

    I haven't seen this in use.

    Actually that is more for correcting light fall off which any wide lens has.

    --

    Stacey
    Stacey Guest

  17. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Stacey Guest
    Moderated Post

  18. #18

    In article <net>, astrofax says...

    PS RAW can reduce noise, chromatic aberrations and vignetting, but has
    no inbuilt function to remove hot or bad pixels.
    --

    Alfred Molon
    ------------------------------

  19. #19

    In article <net>, "astrofax" <com>
    wrote:

    German "Foto Magazin" tested all manufacturer's cheap kit-lenses in
    their last issue (2/2005) The Zuiko 14-45 was best.

    The current issue (3/2005) has test-data on a number of other E-system
    lenses including the 40-150. Optically it scores 83 points (out of a
    hundred) and that is very good; 85 is the "excellent" limit.

    Exactly how they test lenses, can be found here:
    http://cm.jahr-tsv.de/fotomagazin/internet/test_technik/technik/technik01
    ..php
    (German language I'm affraid, but maybe that's no problem.)

    Lourens
    Lourens Guest

  20. #20

    In article <U0vXd.615348$8l.95463pd7tw1no>, ca says...

    > Well Brian, to paraphrase something I read recently, "Complaining about
    > (Canon) goes against the unspoken word among (Canon) dSLR shooters: No one
    > must admit that other dSLRs are better."
    >
    > Thought provoking words indeed...[/ref]

    You have a point, or are you just trying to stir the pot?

    Yeah, you're trying to stir the pot. Nice try, hope you have better
    luck next time.
    Brian Guest

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast