Professional Web Applications Themes

E Commerce and dreamweaver? - Macromedia Dreamweaver

I hope I am not posting in the wrong place but I feel that many people who use dreamweaver and read these forums will be able to shed some light on my qusetions. Ok, here is a hypothetical scenario: I have been asked to build a website in dreamweaver for a potter who wants to sell his pots online. I will have no particular problem putting some simple pages together (graphics, photos etc) but I would like to know the following: This now becomes an E Commerce site, so what do I need to learn in order to put this ...

  1. #1

    Default E Commerce and dreamweaver?

    I hope I am not posting in the wrong place but I feel that many people who use dreamweaver and read these forums will be able to shed some light on my qusetions.

    Ok, here is a hypothetical scenario:
    I have been asked to build a website in dreamweaver for a potter who wants to sell his pots online. I will have no particular problem putting some simple pages together (graphics, photos etc) but I would like to know the following:

    This now becomes an E Commerce site, so what do I need to learn in order to put this site into action? Databases? What about online payment systems? Just how complex is it all?

    Really, what I am trying to say is, I am totally in the dark about the Commerce side of web authoring. I am trying to learn studio MX at the moment and any clues as to what I should learn would most appreciated.

    Thank you.

    brintonwhite Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: E Commerce and dreamweaver?

    The level of complexity depends upon the number of products that the potter
    wants to sell and if they want the ability to add & delete products. At the
    simplest level you could download the Paypal extension from the exchange and
    add it to static pages.

    However if you need more product control then you will have to link to a
    database.

    In terms of payment options there are many from a simple email system (where
    the client processes the payment through a manual system) up to real time
    processing of cards. It really depends on how much the client wants to pay.

    There are a great variety of E-Commerce applications that you can use with
    DMX. I have written an article on how to chose one which you can find in the
    Dreamweaver section of DevNet on the MM site.

    --
    Regards

    Paul Whitham
    Valleybiz Internet Design
    www.valleybiz.net

    Team Macromedia Volunteer for Ultradev/Dreamweaver MX
    www.macromedia.com/support/forums/team_macromedia
    "brintonwhite" <com> wrote in message
    use dreamweaver and read these forums will be able to shed some light on my
    qusetions.
    to sell his pots online. I will have no particular problem putting some
    simple pages together (graphics, photos etc) but I would like to know the
    following:
    to put this site into action? Databases? What about online payment systems?
    Just how complex is it all?
    Commerce side of web authoring. I am trying to learn studio MX at the moment
    and any clues as to what I should learn would most appreciated.

    Paul Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks Paul;

    That helps;

    Pat
    "Paul Whitham TMM" <net> wrote in message
    potter
    the
    and
    (where
    pay.
    the [/ref]
    who
    my [/ref]
    wants [/ref]
    order
    systems?
    > Commerce side of web authoring. I am trying to learn studio MX at the[/ref]
    moment

    >[/ref]

    Pat Guest

  4. #4

    There is also a good list of e-commerce apps to be found at ...

    http://www.dwfaq.com/Resources/e-Commerce/default.asp
    -------------------
    Lawrence Cramer [ Member - Team Macromedia]
    www.lcwd.com | com

    Cartweaver - ColdFusion Shopping Cart for DreamweaverMX
    www.cartweaver.com | news://support.dwfaq.com/cartweaver

    "Pat Jones" <org> wrote in message
    > potter
    > the
    > and
    > (where [/ref]
    time
    > pay. [/ref]
    with
    > the [/ref]
    > who
    > my [/ref]
    > wants [/ref]
    the [/ref]
    > order
    > systems?
    > > Commerce side of web authoring. I am trying to learn studio MX at the[/ref]
    > moment
    > >
    > >[/ref]
    >
    >[/ref]

    Lawrence Guest

  5. #5

    "brintonwhite" <com> wrote in message
    use dreamweaver and read these forums will be able to shed some light on my
    qusetions.
    to sell his pots online. I will have no particular problem putting some
    simple pages together (graphics, photos etc) but I would like to know the
    following:
    to put this site into action? Databases? What about online payment systems?
    Just how complex is it all?
    Commerce side of web authoring. I am trying to learn studio MX at the moment
    and any clues as to what I should learn would most appreciated.

    I have some information on my website about an off the self solution -
    YourVirtualStore - that can be
    edited using dwmx. Have a look here:
    http://www.perrelink.com.au/resources/ecommerce.htm

    If you are only starting out learning dwmx, and you are on a deadline for
    an ecom site, you may be best off looking at an off the shelf package .
    Once you are up to speed with dwmx, you could then look at possibly coding a
    cart for yourself. Unless you are really keen to do this, why reinvent the
    wheel when there are already good applications out there ;)

    Nadia
    Design Templates, Nav Bars & Business Tools
    http://www.perrelink.com.au/resources
    :: Ecommerce & Content Management System::
    http://www.yourvirtualstore.net/yvsa4.asp

    Nadia Guest