Professional Web Applications Themes

E10 vs. E300 vs. Nikon D70 - Photography

Hi Group, I'm thinking of upgrading my Oly E10 even though it has a nice fast, fixed F2 lens : Upgrade to the E300 because I don't like the sound of "dust problems" ; D70 because it's a faster & possibly has a better lens than the kit lens of the E300. BUT, surely my lens on the E10 is better / faster than both kit lenses on the D70 and E300 ? Should I just stick with the E10 ? What troubles me is that saving pics takes an age..and I miss moments.... so I'd like to upgrade. It's ...

  1. #1

    Default E10 vs. E300 vs. Nikon D70

    Hi Group,

    I'm thinking of upgrading my Oly E10 even though it has a nice fast,
    fixed F2 lens : Upgrade to the E300 because I don't like the sound of "dust
    problems" ; D70 because it's a faster & possibly has a better lens than the
    kit lens of the E300.

    BUT, surely my lens on the E10 is better / faster than both kit lenses
    on the D70 and E300 ?

    Should I just stick with the E10 ? What troubles me is that saving pics
    takes an age..and I miss moments.... so I'd like to upgrade.

    It's E300 vs. D70, but that lens on the E300 is only F3.5 ! Too slow ?

    Any opinions ? Should I wait or what ?
    Thx,
    Roland H
    Bristol UK

    Roland Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: E10 vs. E300 vs. Nikon D70

    Roland,

    You've the crux of the issue in "I miss moments". The kit lenses are
    irrelevant. Get the right body & consider you lens choice as a sep decision.

    Regards

    DM

    "Roland Herrera" <co.uk> wrote in message

    DM Guest

  3. #3

    "Roland Herrera" <co.uk> wrote in message

    No matter what body you move to, a product with a better value will come out
    in 6 months or less. If you're satisfied with the performance you're getting
    from your current camera, why not wait until something comes out at a
    performance/value point that knocks your socks off? I wouldn't bale out of
    a system because I *thought* it *might* develop a dust problem. The new
    system *might* have one too, or *might* be defective out of the box, or just
    *might* not work the way you'd hoped.

    You can go broke chasing this technology.

    KB

    Kyle Guest

  4. #4

    "Kyle Boatright" <net> wrote in message

    > No matter what body you move to, a product with a better value will come
    > out in 6 months or less. If you're satisfied with the performance you're
    > getting from your current camera, why not wait until something comes out
    > at a performance/value point that knocks your socks off? I wouldn't bale
    > out of a system because I *thought* it *might* develop a dust problem.
    > The new system *might* have one too, or *might* be defective out of the
    > box, or just *might* not work the way you'd hoped.
    >
    > You can go broke chasing this technology.
    >
    > KB[/ref]
    My sock have been knocked off so many times I finally got tired of being
    barefoot and got the D70. I'm sure there will be something coming that will
    knock my socks off again, but at some time you have to make a decision.
    It's like the guy who's been waiting for 3-D TV. I'm sure it's coming, but
    meanwhile he still doesn't have a TV. And, BTW, my D70 seems to be keeping
    my feet nice and warm, and probably will for a long time. My main reason
    for the decision was I already had a lot of Nikon lenses that would work on
    the D70, and the absence of shutter lag is fantastic.

    Sheldon Guest

  5. #5

    Roland Herrera wrote:

    Find a shop that will let you go outside (and maybe shoot a few inside with
    and without a flash) and shoot some pictures on your OWN CF card, then have
    prints made or make some at home and see if they look better than what you
    have now. Then look at the features like no dust issues with the E300 or
    the use of legacy lenses with the nikon or canon etc and decide for
    yourself.

    Other things to consider are, how easy it is to manually focus on the
    supplied focus screen, do you like the control layout, are the
    features/adjustments you'd most likely use often easy to adjust or are they
    burried 3 menues deep, does it have DOF preview that's easy to use if you
    like that feature etc etc. Think about what features you use most of the
    time now and how it works on the replacement or what you hate about the old
    one and if it's "fixed". Do you want to do a lot of low light shooting with
    no flash? Then high ISO performance is important. If you think you'll be
    changing lenses a lot in the field, the "dust buster" on the OM cameras
    might be important to you. Some let you use the small on camera flip up
    flash and a dedicated external, adjust the balance between the two using
    one as a bounce and one as a fill, that's very handy and I use that
    "feature" a lot. Lots of things to think about that only you can decide
    which ones are important to you.

    Also look at the lens lineup and see if they have your needs covered or not.
    You might not buy extra lenses now but might need to in the future. None of
    the "kit" lenses perform as well as what the camera can produce with better
    optics.

    Each person has an answer for -themselves-, doesn't mean it's right for you.

    --

    Stacey
    Stacey Guest

  6. #6

    Thanks for some good answers there,

    The 2 main issues are still quality ; is the D70 so much better than the
    E300 ? And the dust on sensor... how much of a nuissance is this ? A better
    quality picture full of dust is probably not going to be a better picture
    after all. Maybe I could keep the kit lens on all the time... ?

    I agree I need to try each camera more. As for examples, I've downloaded
    loads for each Camera... they all seem fine by me....

    Anyway folks,
    thanks for feedback,
    Roland

    "Stacey" <com> wrote in message

    > Find a shop that will let you go outside (and maybe shoot a few inside
    > with
    > and without a flash) and shoot some pictures on your OWN CF card, then
    > have
    > prints made or make some at home and see if they look better than what you
    > have now. Then look at the features like no dust issues with the E300 or
    > the use of legacy lenses with the nikon or canon etc and decide for
    > yourself.
    >
    > Other things to consider are, how easy it is to manually focus on the
    > supplied focus screen, do you like the control layout, are the
    > features/adjustments you'd most likely use often easy to adjust or are
    > they
    > burried 3 menues deep, does it have DOF preview that's easy to use if you
    > like that feature etc etc. Think about what features you use most of the
    > time now and how it works on the replacement or what you hate about the
    > old
    > one and if it's "fixed". Do you want to do a lot of low light shooting
    > with
    > no flash? Then high ISO performance is important. If you think you'll be
    > changing lenses a lot in the field, the "dust buster" on the OM cameras
    > might be important to you. Some let you use the small on camera flip up
    > flash and a dedicated external, adjust the balance between the two using
    > one as a bounce and one as a fill, that's very handy and I use that
    > "feature" a lot. Lots of things to think about that only you can decide
    > which ones are important to you.
    >
    > Also look at the lens lineup and see if they have your needs covered or
    > not.
    > You might not buy extra lenses now but might need to in the future. None
    > of
    > the "kit" lenses perform as well as what the camera can produce with
    > better
    > optics.
    >
    > Each person has an answer for -themselves-, doesn't mean it's right for
    > you.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Stacey[/ref]

    Roland Guest

  7. #7

    why not the 350D ?

    Chuck Guest

  8. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Jeremy Guest
    Moderated Post

  9. #9

    ye of course,
    the 350d
    but when will it be in the shops ?
    I guess d70 otherwise
    I did look at the digilux 2 Leica / Panasonic... but small sensor with
    excessive noise puts me off.
    ------------
    Well thanks for the encouragement...

    Roland H
    Bristol UK

    "Chuck" <com> wrote in message

    Roland Guest

  10. #10

    Roland Herrera wrote:

    If you're interested, email me and I can send you a couple of shots to
    print. Do the same with the D70 from someone else. It's still much better
    IMHO to find a shop to try both yourself and compare.

    Depends on how often you change lenses and if you only change them in a
    "safe" place etc.

    Kinda defeats the purpose of a dSLR doesn't it?

    When I did this test, there really wasn't much difference in the shots I
    took and printed. I liked the color rendition in some of them better than
    others and other subjective stuff which some people may have picked
    something else? I don't think anyone but you can decide what would work
    =best= for you.

    --

    Stacey
    Stacey Guest

  11. #11

    in shop around march 20 .

    Chuck Guest

  12. #12

    Roland,
    One thing to take into consideration, faster lenses are not always
    better lenses, just faster. Like the Nikkor 50/1.8D. It is better than
    the 3 times more expensive than the Nikkor 50/1.4D. Now if you need to
    shoot at f/1.4, then you need to, but faster is not always better, just
    faster. It takes far better glass and more complex systems to make a
    faster lens, great. So, the fact that the 18-70 kit lens is not as fast
    as the e10 f/2 lens doesn't mean that much, unless you always shoot at
    f/2. But at f/5.6 I would put money on that 18-70 lens being just as
    good, if not better than the E10 lens. To answer your question. The
    D70, with a great lens is awesome.

    JR
    JR Guest

  13. #13

    "JR" <com.invalid> wrote in message

    I had an Oly E20 (still do) and found it to be extremely tough and reliable.
    After reading up on the Nikon D70, Canon d-Rebel, and the Oly e300, I chose
    the e300 because the controls felt comfortable and familiar. I was using it
    intuitively within minutes. I also purchased the 50-200mm f 2.8 and the 50
    mm f 2.0 macro. After a month and several thousand pictures taken in
    terrible (9 degrees F and 50 mph wind while snowing of high surf) and fair
    weather I am very satisfied. In my opinion Oly makes a tough product, I use
    mine on construction sites, so far no problems. BTW I never shoot above ISO
    400.
    EDS

    eds Guest