Professional Web Applications Themes

E4500 hard disk problem - Sun Solaris

I am having a problem getting solaris 9 to install on my E4500, this is what I get from probe-scsi- {0} ok probe-scsi-all /sbus3,0/SUNW,fas3,8800000 Target 0 Unit 0 Disk SEAGATE ST34371N 0484 Copyright (c) 1996 Seagate All rights reserved Target 6 Unit 0 Removable Read Only device TOSHIBA XM6201TASUN32XCD110312/12/97 whether i boot cdrom -r or just boot cdrom I get the same error which is this- Select the language you want to use to run the installer: 1 | Scanning system disk information... / Searching disks for upgradable Solaris root devices... ../W00.findswap[3]: 194 Segmentation Fault No Upgradable Solaris root devices ...

  1. #1

    Default E4500 hard disk problem

    /
    Searching disks for upgradable Solaris root devices...
    ../W00.findswap[3]: 194 Segmentation Fault
    No Upgradable Solaris root devices were found.

    Would you like to re-partition a disk? [y,n,?,q] y
    No Hard disks found on the system.
    Please see your install doentation.

    I don't know whats wrong with this. the probe-scsi-all sees the drive.
    I've tried with and without terminators, no effect. I have it in a OSS
    type drive box (enclosure) external on a very short scsi cable. I have
    tried two different drives, Seagate ST34371N and ST34501N, same
    result. These are ultra-scsi drives, the connector inside the drive
    enclosure is correct, and I attach it to the onboard (regular scsi I
    presume) controller.

    I can hear the drive spin up, and it accesses it a few times during
    the cdrom boot process.
    can anyone offer any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong or how to
    fix it?
    Beyonder Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: E4500 hard disk problem

    net (Beyonder) wrote in message news:<google.com>...

    Try this:

    {0} ok boot cdrom -s

    (i.e. boot in single-user mode)
    get the shell prompt and check if you can access
    the hard disk with "format" command.
    You may have to re-partition the disk,
    or even describe the drive geometry.
    Try to do so by "Disk->Type->Autoconfigure"
    in the menu path of "format" command.

    Regards,
    Andrei
    aryzhov Guest

  3. #3

    net (Beyonder) wrote in message news:<google.com>...

    what size disks are you using? I used to be able to tell by the ST#,
    but I can't remember what's what anymore. Also, it sounds like you
    are using an external disk drive instead of an internal drive, is this
    correct?

    at the ok> prompt when you do a printenv, what does it show as the
    boot disk?

    Sharona
    sharona Guest

  4. #4

    On 3 Oct 2003 22:50:00 -0700, com (sharona) wrote:

    the disk is 4.3 gigs.
    there are no internal drives on an E4500, at least not in
    the default configuration.

    probe-scsi-all shows the drive, yet the installer doesnt see it.
    and theres that seg-fault. verys strange.

    seeing as I boot cdrom -r, it boots off the cdrom, but printenv shows
    drive 0/0 - the seagate as the default.

    B.
    Beyonder Guest

  5. #5

    Beyonder <net> wrote:

    No, it's not strange, and someone has already given you the fix.

    boot -s
    Run "format", select the disk, and label it.

    Scott
    Scott Guest

  6. #6

    On 2 Oct 2003 00:28:18 -0700, com (aryzhov) wrote:

    >{0} ok boot cdrom -s
    >
    >(i.e. boot in single-user mode)
    >get the shell prompt and check if you can access
    >the hard disk with "format" command.
    >You may have to re-partition the disk,
    >or even describe the drive geometry.
    >Try to do so by "Disk->Type->Autoconfigure"
    >in the menu path of "format" command.
    >
    >Regards,
    >Andrei[/ref]

    Andrei,

    Nice suggestion, but I get this problem when I run format-

    INIT: SINGLE USER MODE
    # format
    Searching for disks...done
    No disks found!

    Now this is really weirding me out. I have tried two different drives,
    and get the same problem.

    probe-scsi-all shows the drive, yet format can't see it.
    what gives?
    Beyonder Guest

  7. #7

    Doesn't work.

    INIT: SINGLE USER MODE
    # format
    Searching for disks...done
    No disks found!

    Like I said, its very weird...

    B,
    On 4 Oct 2003 14:50:40 GMT, Scott Howard <net.au>
    wrote:

    >No, it's not strange, and someone has already given you the fix.
    >
    >boot -s
    >Run "format", select the disk, and label it.
    >
    > Scott[/ref]

    Beyonder Guest

  8. #8

    On 3 Oct 2003 22:50:00 -0700, com (sharona) wrote:

    here's the actual output from printenv-

    {0} ok printenv
    Variable Name Value Default Value

    disabled-memory-list
    disabled-board-list
    memory-interleave max max
    configuration-policy component component
    scsi-initiator-id 7 7
    keyboard-click? false false
    keymap
    ttyb-rts-dtr-off false false
    ttyb-ignore-cd true true
    ttya-rts-dtr-off false false
    ttya-ignore-cd true true
    ttyb-mode 9600,8,n,1,- 9600,8,n,1,-
    ttya-mode 9600,8,n,1,- 9600,8,n,1,-
    sbus-specific-probe
    sbus-probe-default d3120 d3120
    mfg-mode off off
    diag-level min max
    powerfail-time 1053108119 0
    #power-cycles 1426063452
    fcode-debug? false false
    output-device screen screen
    input-device keyboard keyboard
    load-base 16384 16384
    boot-command boot boot
    auto-boot? false true
    watchdog-reboot? false false
    diag-file
    diag-device disk diskbrd diskisp dis ... disk diskbrd
    diskisp dis ...
    boot-file
    boot-device disk diskbrd diskisp dis ... disk diskbrd
    diskisp dis ...
    local-mac-address? false false
    ansi-terminal? true true
    screen-#columns 80 80
    screen-#rows 34 34
    silent-mode? false false
    use-nvramrc? false false
    nvramrc
    security-mode none
    security-password
    security-#badlogins 2684354560
    oem-logo
    oem-logo? false false
    oem-banner
    oem-banner? false false
    hardware-revision
    last-hardware-update 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ...
    diag-switch? true true

    Beyonder Guest

  9. #9

    I just noticed now the diag light is flashing,
    I checked and the light on the back of the system
    on the panel with the console port (where I put the serial connector)
    is flashing.

    I'm not sure where to look for this or what to do about it.

    B.
    Beyonder Guest

  10. #10

    I fixed the diag light, I think.
    changed the env variable.
    (after some reading on the web about that issue).

    prtdiag says there is nothing wrong in the system at all-

    No failures found in System
    ===========================

    No System Faults found
    ======================

    but this shows-
    ========================= Environmental Status
    =========================
    Keyswitch position is in Normal Mode
    System Power Status: Minimum Available
    System LED Status: GREEN YELLOW GREEN
    Normal ON OFF BLINKIN

    normal I think?

    any suggestions?

    B.
    Beyonder Guest

  11. #11

    Beyonder wrote:

    >>{0} ok boot cdrom -s
    >>
    >>(i.e. boot in single-user mode)
    >>get the shell prompt and check if you can access
    >>the hard disk with "format" command.
    >>You may have to re-partition the disk,
    >>or even describe the drive geometry.
    >>Try to do so by "Disk->Type->Autoconfigure"
    >>in the menu path of "format" command.
    >>
    >>Regards,
    >>Andrei[/ref]
    >

    > Andrei,
    >
    > Nice suggestion, but I get this problem when I run format-
    >
    > INIT: SINGLE USER MODE
    > # format
    > Searching for disks...done
    > No disks found!
    >
    > Now this is really weirding me out. I have tried two different drives,
    > and get the same problem.
    >
    > probe-scsi-all shows the drive, yet format can't see it.
    > what gives?[/ref]

    I had something like that which turned out to be a hardware problem.
    Sun replaced the disk and all was well.

    Ade Guest

  12. #12

    On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 19:03:43 +0100, Ade <ac.uk> wrote:

    if it was a sun drive, it'd help. actually I have a lot of questions
    about that, concerning the E4500.

    can you use a regular standard 80 pin scsi-2 (ultra wide)
    drive with such a system?

    does the onboard controller support it fully?

    does it have to be a "sun" drive (they dont really make their own) ?

    and such

    Can I use a D1000 to boot off of as my system drive?

    B.
    Beyonder Guest

  13. #13

    Beyonder <net> wrote:

    Is the SCSI bus terminated?
    What type of enclosure is the disk in? (ie, Disk Board, Unipack, etc)

    Scott
    Scott Guest

  14. #14

    I've tried with termination and without.
    in the top plug and the bottom, makes no difference.

    its like a unipac, its by "open storage systems" or open storage
    solutsions, whatever, I call it "OSS" for short.

    the scsi ID selector on the back of the pack is busted,
    which is why it comes out as 0/0 all the time.

    I'm not doubting it could be the pack, or the cable.
    I just wanted some answers to other questions-

    like can I boot off the D1000 (I have one) if I wanted to?

    B.
    On 5 Oct 2003 09:47:57 GMT, Scott Howard <net.au>
    wrote:

    >Is the SCSI bus terminated?
    >What type of enclosure is the disk in? (ie, Disk Board, Unipack, etc)
    >
    > Scott[/ref]

    Beyonder Guest

  15. #15

    On Sun, 5 Oct 2003, Beyonder wrote:

    what does a show-disks after the boot to prompt show you?

    Seems lieka hw problem to me.

    Yes, you can.
    If you split it and use two diffcards, you even eget a good mirror
    pair :-)

    /Johan A

    Mr. Guest