Earthlink recently moved all of its users from their old servers -- in
my case, news.mindspring.com -- to news.xx.earthlink.net, where
xx is "east" or "west" depending on where one resides relative to
the Mississippi River.
When the changeover happened, I managed to post once, then posts began
timing out. Downloading and reding messages, even downloading binaries,
went just fine. I tried a few different clients (Thoth, MT-Newswatcher,
even Outlook Express [spit!]) and even signed on with Newsranger so I
could try another server, and had the same results in every case. From
this I concluded that the problem was at ...