Professional Web Applications Themes

Easier way to figure out what software does what? - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Just one of the shortcomings of Linux (and Windows is the same for newbies as well)... Visit these webpages... http://www.suse.com/us/private/download/gnomes/i386/update_for_9_0/base.html http://www.suse.com/us/private/download/gnomes/i386/update_for_9_0/extra.html ....and tell me how a newbie (like me) should know what any of these applications are for? I know that licq is an ICQ clone and abiword is some kind of editor from bumping my head through a bunch of installs, but there must be a way to figure out what is what. Right now I have these Windows open and then use Google to figure out what each one is. Is there a better way? Thx!...

  1. #1

    Default Easier way to figure out what software does what?

    Just one of the shortcomings of Linux (and Windows is the same for newbies
    as well)...

    Visit these webpages...

    http://www.suse.com/us/private/download/gnomes/i386/update_for_9_0/base.html
    http://www.suse.com/us/private/download/gnomes/i386/update_for_9_0/extra.html

    ....and tell me how a newbie (like me) should know what any of these
    applications are for?

    I know that licq is an ICQ clone and abiword is some kind of editor from
    bumping my head through a bunch of installs, but there must be a way to
    figure out what is what.

    Right now I have these Windows open and then use Google to figure out what
    each one is. Is there a better way?

    Thx!

    Noozer Guest

  2. #2

    Noozer <0.0.1> wrote:

    I'm shocked, those are updates, if you have the older version
    installed, you can ask rpm about it, 'rpm -i <package-name>'.

    If not you can visit rpmseek.com and put the name in the box and
    hit return. Or even download the package and ask the uninstalled
    ..rpm about it.

    Hint:
    man rpm

    --
    Michael Heiming

    inconvenience, but I get tons of SPAM
    Michael Guest

  3. #3

    Michael Heiming <michael+heiming.de> wrote: [/ref]
     [/ref]
     [/ref]
     [/ref]

    ^^
    Arrgh, the command is of course 'rpm -qi <package-name>'.

  4. #4

    On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 07:36:31 +0000, Noozer wrote:

    You could always do a ...
    man filename (filename being the file you want to know about)

    Jayson Garrell
    Jayson Guest

  5. #5

    "Michael Heiming" <michael+heiming.de> wrote in message
    news:heiming.de... [/ref]
    newbies

    http://www.suse.com/us/private/download/gnomes/i386/update_for_9_0/base.html [/ref]
    http://www.suse.com/us/private/download/gnomes/i386/update_for_9_0/extra.html

    > I'm shocked, those are updates, if you have the older version
    > installed, you can ask rpm about it, 'rpm -i <package-name>'.
    >
    > If not you can visit rpmseek.com and put the name in the box and
    > hit return. Or even download the package and ask the uninstalled
    > .rpm about it.
    >
    > Hint:
    > man rpm[/ref]

    Most of this assumes that I have Linux already installed. Rpmseek is a
    helpful link though.

    My biggest problem is choosing packages during the installation. I'd just
    install none, but then trying to actually compile or install anything is
    hell.

    I'm learning... slowly but surely!

    Noozer Guest

  6. #6

    Noozer <0.0.1> wrote:

    [..]

    Sure, what else would I run on my desktops? There's no M$ here.
    ;)

    I'd recommend installing as much as possible if you have the disk
    space. This will save you some trouble figuring out what you are
    missing, if you want to compile something.

    Don't forget to install the slocate package, enabling you to
    use 'locate' and search quickly through the db of all your
    filesystems which is usually recreated once a day from
    cron.daily.

    www.tldp.org has many useful HOWTO, for various tasks.

    Welcome

  7. #7

    Noozer uttered the immortal words:

    Allowing the installer to install a default setup is probably a good thing.
    You'll get a lot of useful software to try out and can always add or remove
    something you don't want. You will soon learn what a lot of the packages
    do.

    OTOH, I install a base Debian system and start from there. The install is
    only 140MB. From there I use apt-get to install everything else and let
    apt-get handle the dependencies. There are version of apt-get for other
    distros and Mandrake has urpmi which is similar.

    Good luck :-)

    --
    Andy.
    Andy Guest

  8. #8

    On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 19:53:11 GMT, "Noozer" <0.0.1>
    wrote:

    Yes, always install the "devel" packages for an application as the
    next time you want to install it from source, it will probably want
    them. Or some other app wanting to work with the first one will.

    --
    Richard Steven Hack
    "Whatever does not kill me makes me stronger" -

  9. #9

    Richard Steven Hack writes:

    On Debian 'apt-get build-dep source package-name' will download and unpack
    the package-name source and then download and install everything needed to
    build it.
    --
    John Hasler
    gt.org