Professional Web Applications Themes

Easily answered firewire hub question - Mac Applications & Software

No, my hardrive works fine. No, OS X didn't mysteriously crash. No, I don't need help with buggy software. I love my 15" Powerbook and it works just fine, thank you. So, beleagured, noble tech support folks here can rest easy. My problem is that now that I've aculated a mass of firewire devices (digital camcorder, ipod, isight, external hard drive), I've found it necessary to purchase a firewire hub. So, I went down to Compusa and plunked down my $70 for a Belking 4 port hub. Well, despite my annoyance that it really isn't a 4 port hub since ...

  1. #1

    Default Easily answered firewire hub question

    No, my hardrive works fine.

    No, OS X didn't mysteriously crash.

    No, I don't need help with buggy software.

    I love my 15" Powerbook and it works just fine, thank you.

    So, beleagured, noble tech support folks here can rest easy.

    My problem is that now that I've aculated a mass of firewire
    devices (digital camcorder, ipod, isight, external hard drive), I've
    found it necessary to purchase a firewire hub. So, I went down to
    Compusa and plunked down my $70 for a Belking 4 port hub.

    Well, despite my annoyance that it really isn't a 4 port hub since
    only three of the ports can actually have devices plugged into
    them(!), it is a great improvement over my former single firewire
    port. Which brings me to my question...

    Is it necessary to send power to the hub directly using the included
    adapter? I would have thought that the hub could get juice from my
    always plugged in powerbook. Space on my surge protector is at a
    premium, so I was wondering what the real story on firewire hub power
    is.

    Hopefully, that was an easy enough question.
    Mark Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Easily answered firewire hub question

    Mark wrote:
    >I've
    >found it necessary to purchase a firewire hub. So, I went down to
    >Compusa and plunked down my $70 for a Belking 4 port hub.
    Damn, dude. I just got home from Santa Fe about 20 minutes ago with a
    6-port Belkin for $50 from Best Buy.
    >Well, despite my annoyance that it really isn't a 4 port hub since
    >only three of the ports can actually have devices plugged into
    >them(!)
    Yeah, that occurred to me, too, modulo six/five.

    I can't answer your question, though.

    Jim
    --

    Longhaired freaky people need not apply.
    Jim Hill Guest

  3. #3

    Salut usatanker (funny names people seem to have nowadays)

    In article <google.com>,
    com (Mark) wrote:

    I'd say if your PowerBook has 1 FireWire port it will provide enough
    juice to power 1 FireWire device. If you want to drive more than 1
    device, something that is not the PowerBook will have to provide the
    juice, i.e. the power adapter that came with the FireWire hub

    Cheers
    Andreas

    --
    MacAndreas Rutishauser, <http://www.MacAndreas.ch>
    EDV-Dienstleistungen, Hard- und Software, Internet und Netzwerk

  4. #4

    Andreas Rutishauser <ch> wrote in comp.sys.mac.system:

    > I'd say if your PowerBook has 1 FireWire port it will provide enough
    > juice to power 1 FireWire device. If you want to drive more than 1
    > device, something that is not the PowerBook will have to provide the
    > juice, i.e. the power adapter that came with the FireWire hub[/ref]

    Well, it would depend on the total power consumption of the connected
    devices (consumption from the FireWire port, that is -- the device may
    be self-powerd). The OP hasn't given that information. It may also
    depend on general principles of power management in FireWire hubs. I
    have no idea what the answer is, except that it seems unlikely that
    three devices (plus the hub itself) will be able to feed off a single
    supply.

    It is comforting that at least the OP knows it's an easy question.

    Anno
    Anno Guest