Professional Web Applications Themes

Easy CD Driver Error (Sharon F.) - Windows XP/2000/ME

Hi, Matthew. I'm not Sharon. I'll let her help with your main problem. But maybe I can clarify a couple of things about this newsgroup that will make it easier for her to help you, and for you to see her help. ;<} First, this IS a newsgroup, normally accessed by a news reader, such as Outlook Express. You've arrived via Microsoft Communities, also known as the "Web-based interface", but this is still a newsgroup. This is NOT Microsoft Tech Support. We are just users like you, although some of us have been on the learning curve longer and like ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Easy CD Driver Error (Sharon F.)

    Hi, Matthew.

    I'm not Sharon. I'll let her help with your main problem. But maybe I can
    clarify a couple of things about this newsgroup that will make it easier for
    her to help you, and for you to see her help. ;<}

    First, this IS a newsgroup, normally accessed by a news reader, such as
    Outlook Express. You've arrived via Microsoft Communities, also known as
    the "Web-based interface", but this is still a newsgroup. This is NOT
    Microsoft Tech Support. We are just users like you, although some of us
    have been on the learning curve longer and like to help others as payback
    for help we've received. We're not on the payroll, and sometimes we are
    busy helping others - or on a coffee break or even a vacation. ;<)

    Sharon may or may not see your post. To improve the chances, don't click
    New Post; click Post Reply instead. That way, it will be appended to the
    messages already in the Conversation (which many of us still call a Thread).
    She won't have to go hunting for your earlier message and her earlier
    response - and other responses like mine. They'll all be hooked together so
    they make sense.

    If you'd prefer to use the OE interface, you can either go Back a couple of
    windows to where you chose the Web-based interface and click on the News
    reader option instead. Or, it might work to click here:
    [url]news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics[/url]

    That should bring you right back here, but first it will start OE, set up
    the News Account for the free Microsoft public news server, and subscribe
    you to this .windowsxp.basics newsgroup. Most experienced users like OE
    much better than the web-based interface. Maybe you will, too.

    See you around the newsgroups. ;<)

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    R. C. White Guest

  2. #2

    No, I'm only running Nero. I attempted to install
    Creator back when I first upgraded the hardware
    (motherboard, cpu, ram, hard-drive), but the installation
    failed, but left me with that error message. I'll try
    what you suggest.

    Any possibility of fixing my display settings problem.
    I'm about to try a new driver I found on the internet,
    but everything was working fine until I restored my
    system state. But now the display is 800x600 with 4 bit
    color and no other options.

    Thanks, Matt
    I would uninstall
    >Easy CD Creator. If that doesn't fix your problem then
    run msconfig, click
    >run and type in msconfig, click on start tab uncheck
    programs and reboot,
    >keep trying until your problem is gone. Then check for
    updates for that
    >program for XP.
    >
    >Jim Manning
    Matthew M Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks for the comments. I posted a new one because 1.
    My sister posted the first, 2. I have a new problem, 3. I
    didn't feel comfortable that my sister's response would
    have been re-read since it's on page 6 since yesterday.

    Yes, I'm a new user to the newsgroup and am making new
    user mistakes. But if you say that she or anyone else
    that might have a solution will read it again, I will
    take your word for it.

    I hope I didn't sound arrogant above. I certainly didn't
    mean to (just wanted to keep it short). Thanks again.
    Matthew M. Guest

  4. #4

    Hi, Matthew.

    No, you didn't sound arrogant. And I hope I didn't sound like I was
    "talking down to you". Sure is hard getting the inflection just right when
    all we've got is a keyboard, isn't it? ;^} Emoticons help a little, but
    even then, it's easy to be misunderstood. :>( The WWW is so new that even
    us old-timers were newbies just a few days ago, it seems.

    I'm glad to see that JBM jumped in with more help than I could give on your
    problem. ;<) Good luck with it.

    RC

  5. #5

    On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 07:23:37 -0700, "Matthew M."
    <mattrehbergcomcast.net> wrote:
    >My sister, Jennifer, posted to the MS Newgroup on July
    >2nd, around 11am, (page 6 if that helps) regarding the
    >following error:
    >"A CD-recording driver is installed that might cause
    >stability problems, including problems shutting down and
    >problems using a CD/DVD drive. This driver will be
    >disabled.
    >This driver might have been installed by Easy CD Creator,
    >Windows Media Player or RealJukebox. You might not be
    >able to record CDs until you obtain compatible drivers."
    >
    >Actually, this error is on MY computer. She was helping
    >me attempt to debug.
    >
    >Anyway, I took your suggestion of downloading:
    >[url]http://www.aumha.org/downloads/cdgone.zip[/url]
    >
    >Instead of getting rid of the error, it affected my InCD
    >program from Ahead Nero, which came with my new CD-RW
    >drive.
    >
    >As the read-me file suggested, I backed up my system
    >state prior to installing the file listed above. Since
    >the file affected my new software and did not correct the
    >old Easy CD Creator error, I decided to restore my
    >system. Well, my appearance settings are now ed up.
    >
    >Now for two questions:
    >1. Should I have instead uninstall the Ahead Nero
    >software, then installed the cdgone file, then reinstall
    >the Nero program? (little late however...)
    >2. <more immediate> How do I fix my settings? ->
    >
    ><background> I have a Voodoo 3 (I believe 3000) installed
    >and am using. I also have another monitor port that came
    >with my motherboard, which I am not using. In order to
    >have made the Voodoo card work, I had to install 3dhq
    >Tools (I think it was a driver/program off the
    >internet...a friend at school helped and I don't
    >remember. This was back in March).
    >
    >Everything (except the CD Creator error) was working
    >fine. Now, however, I only have 4 bit color resolution
    >option and only 800 x 600 screen option in properties
    >(and you can imagine looks terrible). Hardware Manager
    >says the devices are working fine.
    >
    >I think I've told you everything...at least everything I
    >can think of. Please help. :)
    Hi Matt. Sorry it took me a while to chime in here. Read your sister's
    post last night that you had posted but just found your message today.

    Sorry to hear cdgone zapped your cd buring software. The error message
    you posted is usually a dead ringer for using that fix. It's possible
    that by simply reinstalling Nero you could have set things straight
    again but you have already taken care of that.

    Also, if you read Alex Nichol's article on CD burning in XP that I
    referred your sister to, take note of the information about disabling
    XP's CD burning if you find that interfering with your Nero software.

    For the display problem, reinstall the drivers for the display card.
    That will recover the "missing" color settings. Device Manager is
    reporting the Device as "working properly" because it is. It just isn't
    using the drivers that you want it to.

    If the drivers are still on the hard drive, you *might* get away with
    using the "update driver" button and redirecting Windows to the folder
    these were installed to. If Windows is uncooperative with that approach
    then reinstall the drivers. Also, make System Restore points "just in
    case" before making any configuration changes.

    NOTE: I haven't read the rest of the responses you've already received
    to this message. Hopefully someone who recognizes the driver utility
    your friend used had some more help to offer you.

    Sharon F
    MS MVP [Shell/User]
    Sharon F Guest

  6. #6

    On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 14:48:10 -0500, "R. C. White" <RCWhitemsn.com>
    wrote:
    >Hi, Matthew.
    >
    >No, you didn't sound arrogant. And I hope I didn't sound like I was
    >"talking down to you". Sure is hard getting the inflection just right when
    >all we've got is a keyboard, isn't it? ;^} Emoticons help a little, but
    >even then, it's easy to be misunderstood. :>( The WWW is so new that even
    >us old-timers were newbies just a few days ago, it seems.
    >
    >I'm glad to see that JBM jumped in with more help than I could give on your
    >problem. ;<) Good luck with it.
    >
    >RC
    Hey, thanks RC for helping Matt. I appreciate the time you took to do
    that. :)

    Sharon F
    MS MVP [Shell/User]
    Sharon F Guest