Professional Web Applications Themes

easy module installation - PERL Beginners

Hi , Sorry but I never was used perl and do not know it. Also I am not planing to use perl as language. I need to have perl installed for spam assassin ans especialy I need to have perl with this modules installed: DateTime::HiRes. I am using a old RedHat 7.3 with standart install. It have perl 5.6.1 installed, but do not have this module. Ok, I readet the docs and found the tar.gz for this module, unzipped and try to install. For my supprise the ne module needet Time::Locale. Ok, I downloadet it, but the last one needet ...

  1. #1

    Default easy module installation

    Hi ,
    Sorry but I never was used perl and do not know it.
    Also I am not planing to use perl as language.

    I need to have perl installed for spam assassin ans especialy I need to
    have perl with this modules installed:
    DateTime::HiRes.

    I am using a old RedHat 7.3 with standart install.
    It have perl 5.6.1 installed, but do not have this module.

    Ok, I readet the docs and found the tar.gz for this module, unzipped and
    try to install.

    For my supprise the ne module needet Time::Locale.

    Ok, I downloadet it, but the last one needet DateTime and so on.

    It is very dificult to install all this modules.

    My question:
    Exists not any easy way to install this DateTime::HiRes with all modules
    it depend from?

    Exists any rpm for redhat 7.3 ?

    Many thanks in advance,
    ivan.

    Ivan Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: easy module installation

    On Wed, 22 Sep 2004, ivan wrote:

    There is a tool called "the CPAN shell" which automates the process of
    finding modules, downloading & unpacking them, checking dependencies,
    then building, testing, and installing everything. This is much, much
    easier than building everything by hand.

    To run this tool, you need to run this command:

    $ sudo perl -MCPAN -e shell

    or as root, simply

    # perl -MCPAN -e shell

    The first time you run it, you will be asked a series of questions. For
    most of these questions, the defaults are fine, but skim them over. The
    setup process should take around five minutes.

    When setup is done, you get a prompt like this:

    cpan>

    You can hit "?" for help here, or you can just plunge in with:

    cpan> install DateTime::HiRes

    This will download, build, and install DateTime::HiRes, and it will also
    find, download, and build any needed dependencies.

    --
    Chris Devers
    Chris Guest

  3. #3

    Chris Devers wrote:

    >There is a tool called "the CPAN shell" which automates the process of
    >finding modules, downloading & unpacking them, checking dependencies,
    >then building, testing, and installing everything. This is much, much
    >easier than building everything by hand.
    >
    >To run this tool, you need to run this command:
    >
    > $ sudo perl -MCPAN -e shell
    >
    >or as root, simply
    >
    > # perl -MCPAN -e shell
    >
    >The first time you run it, you will be asked a series of questions. For
    >most of these questions, the defaults are fine, but skim them over. The
    >setup process should take around five minutes.
    >
    >When setup is done, you get a prompt like this:
    >
    > cpan>
    >
    >You can hit "?" for help here, or you can just plunge in with:
    >
    > cpan> install DateTime::HiRes
    >
    >This will download, build, and install DateTime::HiRes, and it will also
    >find, download, and build any needed dependencies.
    >

    >[/ref]
    Hi Chris,

    Thanks for the answer.
    It helped me and I solved this problem.

    I have one more question ):.

    I need also suidperl.
    As I readet it exists separate rpm for redhat and I downloadet it.
    But it is only src rpm and I do not know how to install it.

    Exists any binary for download that I can use to install this suidperl?

    many thanks,
    ivan.

    Ivan Guest