Professional Web Applications Themes

Easy question = easy answer? - Macromedia Freehand

Well, so I'm pretty new with Freehand, at the mo running with MX and havin' a problem (not big, but anyway)... I'm creating some cards and they are going to press quite soon and I was wondering about those few millimetres for cropping (I'm not also very good at english so I don't know how you guys called it), how should I do them to my works? If my doent size is 50x90 mm , I guess I have to make everything on it going out of borders for 2-5 mm's, am I right? Okay, but then when I've saved ...

  1. #1

    Default Easy question = easy answer?

    Well,

    so I'm pretty new with Freehand, at the mo running with MX and havin' a problem (not big, but anyway)...

    I'm creating some cards and they are going to press quite soon and I was wondering about those few millimetres for cropping (I'm not also very good at english so I don't know how you guys called it), how should I do them to my works?

    If my doent size is 50x90 mm , I guess I have to make everything on it going out of borders for 2-5 mm's, am I right? Okay, but then when I've saved work in eps-format, distilled it to pdf and opened it with some program it's still 50x90 mm...and there's no extra space in that doent left for press to crop those works! Right?
    So, how to do that?
    So I guess this is pretty silly question, but I really do need some help!
    Okay Big Thanks!

    JP

    Jyry webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Easy question = easy answer?

    Jyry,

    If your printer will accept and can separate from Freehand doents (an I dont see why they cant), you can set your bleed in the doent portion of the properties panel to whatever you need and there will be no need to build your crops and bleed at all. Crop marks are built into the separations that Freehand will deliver, just turn them on in the separations portion of the print dialog box. Voila, instant bleed and crop marks.

    Now, if you are taking the page to PDF or to Photoshop or some other application, Sliders method will work correctly to get it there with the proper size to trim out right. If not, just allow Freehand to do it for you.

    Pappy

    Pappy Guest

  3. #3

    Big-o thanks guys!

    So, Freehand page should be bigger than work itself and I guess it's pretty easy to work like that with guides etc.
    Okay and if I'm right there's no need for cropmarks in that situation and about those millimeters for cropping I should ask from print?

    Thanks anyway!

    Jyry webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  4. #4

    > So, Freehand page should be bigger than work itself

    Not in my book. (pun intended ;-)

    FH page size should be set up at trim size. Add a desired bleed value in
    the Doent Inspector. FH displays the bleed area as a dashed line
    around the page. Very handy. FH exports and prints whatever is within
    the bleed area, not just what is within the page.

    As my projects more often than not have bleeds, it has long been my
    practice to modify my defaults file by (among many other things) turning
    on a .25" bleed for the default page and putting my own hairline
    registration-colored trim marks in the bleed area. This way, they are
    there whenever I start a new doc.

    It is a simple matter to delete them and set the bleed to zero when I
    don't need them. Their presence is especially handy for designing whole
    doent flats, because simple AltClickShiftDrag gives you a mark for
    folds, additional trims, etc. I commonly make a 1 step blend between two
    such marks, ungroup twice and Lock to give me a locked object to align
    things to in the center of a panel, or the flap of a book cover, etc.

    JET
    James E. Talmage Guest

  5. #5

    I'd make only one small alteration to JET's method. In FHMX (actually
    beginning with FH10.0.1), the control in Prefs for setting the filename of
    the template used for new doents is no longer just a simple text box. It
    is now a dropdown that lists multiple files and has an associated browse
    button.

    I would recommend that you not delete the original templates but, instead,
    save your new custom templates with a distinct filename. You would then
    place the template in the same folder as the default templates and select it
    in Prefs. Once the new template is selected, it will remain your default
    until you either change it in Prefs or delete your preferences file.

    You can find the location of the folder several ways. Perhaps the easiest is
    to access Prefs, go to the Doent section, and click the browse button,
    "Select..." on Mac and "..." on Windows. You can use the resulting file
    dialog to determine the path to your template folder.

    David W Gangwisch
    Software Design Engineer - FreeHand
    Macromedia, Inc.

    "James E. Talmage" <JETIllustrationETC.com> wrote in message
    > > So, Freehand page should be bigger than work itself
    >
    > Not in my book. (pun intended ;-)
    >
    > FH page size should be set up at trim size. Add a desired bleed value in
    > the Doent Inspector. FH displays the bleed area as a dashed line
    > around the page. Very handy. FH exports and prints whatever is within
    > the bleed area, not just what is within the page.
    >
    > As my projects more often than not have bleeds, it has long been my
    > practice to modify my defaults file by (among many other things) turning
    > on a .25" bleed for the default page and putting my own hairline
    > registration-colored trim marks in the bleed area. This way, they are
    > there whenever I start a new doc.
    >
    > It is a simple matter to delete them and set the bleed to zero when I
    > don't need them. Their presence is especially handy for designing whole
    > doent flats, because simple AltClickShiftDrag gives you a mark for
    > folds, additional trims, etc. I commonly make a 1 step blend between two
    > such marks, ungroup twice and Lock to give me a locked object to align
    > things to in the center of a panel, or the flap of a book cover, etc.
    >
    > JET

    david gangwisch Guest