Professional Web Applications Themes

eBay's new upload system - Mac Networking

(Obviously, MT Newswatcher devoutely doesn't want me to post this message. Fourth try...) After having listed some 237 or so items September 1-8 without any problem, I was very displeased to find that eBay seems to have gone to a new photo upload system (it no longer seems to say iPix) that DOESN'T WORK on either Mozilla 1.3 or Safari 1.0. I tried both, and it just hangs. You can go through the entire listing process (all the way to Step 5), but you can't upload a picture. It seems to be broken in all of the combinations I've tried ...

  1. #1

    Default eBay's new upload system

    (Obviously, MT Newswatcher devoutely doesn't want me to post this message.
    Fourth try...)

    After having listed some 237 or so items September 1-8 without any problem, I
    was very displeased to find that eBay seems to have gone to a new photo upload
    system (it no longer seems to say iPix) that DOESN'T WORK on either Mozilla 1.3
    or Safari 1.0. I tried both, and it just hangs. You can go through the entire
    listing process (all the way to Step 5), but you can't upload a picture. It
    seems to be broken in all of the combinations I've tried (new, relist, etc.);
    not once was it able to successfully upload a photo.

    Could the Java update 1.4.1 be to blame? I installed this 9/9, and haven't tried
    to create a new listing until tonight. However, the sequence for uploading does
    seem to be a bit different as well.

    I put in three complainst to eBay (one when I found out you couldn't do it using
    relist in Mozilla 1.3, a second when it didn't work creating a fresh listing in
    Mozilla, and a third time when I tried creating a fresh listing in Safari.

    Can anyone te this problem?

    System Info: Duel 1 GHz PowerMac G4, 768 MB Memory, System 10.2.6.

    (BTW, as long as I'm here, has anyone had a problem with a "Hanging Disconnect"
    problem? Occasionally, the modem hangs up and all I get is the "Disconnecting"
    scroll on the menu bar, and I have to rebott if I want to log back onto the
    Internet. Am I the only one with this problem? (It may have to do with some bad
    third-party RAM I had early on befire getting it replaced.) Does anyone know the
    proper process to kill in Terminal to avoid having to reboot, or the system
    modules/bundles/etc. to replace? Otherwise the system is rock solid...)
    Lawrence Person Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: eBay's new upload system

    In article <lawrence-F561C7.20425616092003central.isp.giganews.com>,
    Lawrence Person <lawrenceio.com> wrote:
    > (Obviously, MT Newswatcher devoutely doesn't want me to post this message.
    > Fourth try...)
    >
    > After having listed some 237 or so items September 1-8 without any
    > problem, I was very displeased to find that eBay seems to have gone
    > to a new photo upload system (it no longer seems to say iPix) that
    > DOESN'T WORK on either Mozilla 1.3 or Safari 1.0. I tried both, and
    > it just hangs. You can go through the entire listing process (all the
    > way to Step 5), but you can't upload a picture. It seems to be broken
    > in all of the combinations I've tried (new, relist, etc.); not once
    > was it able to successfully upload a photo.
    >
    > Could the Java update 1.4.1 be to blame? I installed this 9/9, and
    > haven't tried to create a new listing until tonight. However, the
    > sequence for uploading does seem to be a bit different as well.
    Given that using Java has nothing to do with the web browser uploading
    files, it seems unlikely.

    I had a similar problem with a different web site for a while. I found
    that the only Mac browser that'd work was OmniWeb. Really eBay should
    fix this for you, but in the meantime you might give OmniWeb a try (even
    just for uploading) and see if it helps.

    --
    Tom "Tom" Harrington
    See [url]http://www.atomicbird.com/[/url]

  3. #3

    In article <lawrence-F561C7.20425616092003central.isp.giganews.com>,
    Lawrence Person <lawrenceio.com> wrote:
    > (Obviously, MT Newswatcher devoutely doesn't want me to post this message.
    > Fourth try...)
    >
    > After having listed some 237 or so items September 1-8 without any problem, I
    > was very displeased to find that eBay seems to have gone to a new photo
    > upload
    > system (it no longer seems to say iPix) that DOESN'T WORK on either Mozilla
    > 1.3
    > or Safari 1.0. I tried both, and it just hangs. You can go through the entire
    > listing process (all the way to Step 5), but you can't upload a picture. It
    > seems to be broken in all of the combinations I've tried (new, relist, etc.);
    > not once was it able to successfully upload a photo.
    >
    > Could the Java update 1.4.1 be to blame? I installed this 9/9, and haven't
    > tried
    > to create a new listing until tonight. However, the sequence for uploading
    > does
    > seem to be a bit different as well.
    >
    > I put in three complainst to eBay (one when I found out you couldn't do it
    > using
    > relist in Mozilla 1.3, a second when it didn't work creating a fresh listing
    > in
    > Mozilla, and a third time when I tried creating a fresh listing in Safari.
    >
    > Can anyone te this problem?
    >
    > System Info: Duel 1 GHz PowerMac G4, 768 MB Memory, System 10.2.6.
    >
    > (BTW, as long as I'm here, has anyone had a problem with a "Hanging
    > Disconnect"
    > problem? Occasionally, the modem hangs up and all I get is the
    > "Disconnecting"
    > scroll on the menu bar, and I have to rebott if I want to log back onto the
    > Internet. Am I the only one with this problem? (It may have to do with some
    > bad
    > third-party RAM I had early on befire getting it replaced.) Does anyone know
    > the
    > proper process to kill in Terminal to avoid having to reboot, or the system
    > modules/bundles/etc. to replace? Otherwise the system is rock solid...)
    check out MacInTouch.com today. apparently Ebay has changed their
    software and made it Mac and Linux UNFRIENDLY. It is now Windoz
    only.

    Bruce in alaska
    Bruce in Alaska Guest

  4. #4

    On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 9:40:10 -0700, Bruce in Alaska wrote
    (in message <bruceg-96195C.08404117092003netnews.worldnet.att.net>):
    > In article <lawrence-F561C7.20425616092003central.isp.giganews.com>,
    > Lawrence Person <lawrenceio.com> wrote:
    >
    >> (Obviously, MT Newswatcher devoutely doesn't want me to post this message.
    >> Fourth try...)
    >>
    >> After having listed some 237 or so items September 1-8 without any
    >> problem, I
    >> was very displeased to find that eBay seems to have gone to a new photo
    >> upload
    >> system (it no longer seems to say iPix) that DOESN'T WORK on either
    >> Mozilla
    >> 1.3
    >> or Safari 1.0. I tried both, and it just hangs. You can go through the
    >> entire
    >> listing process (all the way to Step 5), but you can't upload a picture.
    >> It
    >> seems to be broken in all of the combinations I've tried (new, relist,
    >> etc.);
    >> not once was it able to successfully upload a photo.
    >>
    >> Could the Java update 1.4.1 be to blame? I installed this 9/9, and haven't
    >> tried
    >> to create a new listing until tonight. However, the sequence for uploading
    >> does
    >> seem to be a bit different as well.
    >>
    >> I put in three complainst to eBay (one when I found out you couldn't do it
    >> using
    >> relist in Mozilla 1.3, a second when it didn't work creating a fresh
    >> listing
    >> in
    >> Mozilla, and a third time when I tried creating a fresh listing in Safari.
    >>
    >> Can anyone te this problem?
    >>
    >> System Info: Duel 1 GHz PowerMac G4, 768 MB Memory, System 10.2.6.
    >>
    >> (BTW, as long as I'm here, has anyone had a problem with a "Hanging
    >> Disconnect"
    >> problem? Occasionally, the modem hangs up and all I get is the
    >> "Disconnecting"
    >> scroll on the menu bar, and I have to rebott if I want to log back onto
    >> the
    >> Internet. Am I the only one with this problem? (It may have to do with
    >> some
    >> bad
    >> third-party RAM I had early on befire getting it replaced.) Does anyone
    >> know
    >> the
    >> proper process to kill in Terminal to avoid having to reboot, or the
    >> system
    >> modules/bundles/etc. to replace? Otherwise the system is rock solid...)
    >
    > check out MacInTouch.com today. apparently Ebay has changed their
    > software and made it Mac and Linux UNFRIENDLY. It is now Windoz
    > only.
    >
    > Bruce in alaska
    Internet Explorer Mac on OS X worked fine; Safari didn't, for me.

    One difference I have is that I have Safari suppressing pop up windows, but
    not in Explorer. Maybe the pop up window needs to appear?

    Bruce Stewart Guest

  5. #5

    In article <bruceg-96195C.08404117092003netnews.worldnet.att.net>,
    Bruce in Alaska <brucegbtpost.net> wrote:
    > check out MacInTouch.com today. apparently Ebay has changed their
    > software and made it Mac and Linux UNFRIENDLY. It is now Windoz
    > only.

    Ah, yes. Note the similarities in names between the above and the Mac-in-Touch
    submitter. ;-)

    But yes, I did find that out after I had posted here. They've gone to an Active
    X (i.e., IE only) photo submission system. Addresses to complain to:

    [email]PictureServicesebay.com[/email]

    [url]http://pages.ebay.com/help/index_popup.html?new=suggest.html[/url]

    [url]http://pages.ebay.com/help/contact_inline/index.html[/url]
    Lawrence Person Guest