Professional Web Applications Themes

eBay's site is crashing 4 different browsers on Mac OS 8.1 - Mac Networking

This is a strange one. I can do a search for an item on eBay, and the resulting page will freeze the screen every time in four different browsers (Explorer 5.0, Netscape 4.8, Opera 5.0 and iCab 2.97) on my PM 5400 running OS 8.1 when I attempt to scroll down the page. Does anyone have an idea what could be causing this? Surely all four of these browsers can't be that buggy, even if they are older Mac browsers (and iCab 2.97 has just been updated!). eBay is the only site on the World Wide Web where I've encountered ...

  1. #1

    Default eBay's site is crashing 4 different browsers on Mac OS 8.1

    This is a strange one. I can do a search for an item on eBay, and the
    resulting page will freeze the screen every time in four different browsers
    (Explorer 5.0, Netscape 4.8, Opera 5.0 and iCab 2.97) on my PM 5400 running
    OS 8.1 when I attempt to scroll down the page. Does anyone have an idea
    what could be causing this? Surely all four of these browsers can't be that
    buggy, even if they are older Mac browsers (and iCab 2.97 has just been
    updated!). eBay is the only site on the World Wide Web where I've
    encountered such a problem.

    I tried this question in an eBay newsgroup and none of the Mac users seemed
    to relate, but then none of them were using an older Mac system either.
    Dennis Guest

  2. #2

    In article <InfoAve.Net>,
    Net (Dennis McGee) wrote:

    I suspect that it's a memory thing. I just moved form a PB1400 (G3) and
    PM 7300/180, both running 8.1 to a 512 MB QS 733 and Panther, and what a
    difference... My main browser is iCab and on eBay it would do EXACTLY
    what you describe with both machines, IF I used the arrow on the scroll
    bar. I had to train myself to use the space inside the scroll area for
    full page jumps instead of the arrow/pointer. Perhaps give that a
    go......
    Glen Guest

  3. #3

    In article <telus.net>, Glen Peden
    <com> wrote:

    You think it could be solved by giving the browser(s) more memory, or I
    just don't have enough memory (48 MB + RamDoubler) in the machine?

    I tried that and as I remember I still got the screen freezes.
    Dennis Guest

  4. #4

    In article <InfoAve.Net>,
    Net (Dennis McGee) wrote:

    > You think it could be solved by giving the browser(s) more memory, or I
    > just don't have enough memory (48 MB + RamDoubler) in the machine?

    > I tried that and as I remember I still got the screen freezes.[/ref]

    The problem with iCab was discussed as a "bug" on the iCab Yahoo group.
    Now that I think about it, the problem still existed on my 7300 w/256K
    RAM.

    Moving to a newer machine and OS and more memory certainly cured the
    problem. But when I was encountering the same problem as you, I had to
    franticly re-boot to get back and watch the close of an auction on a few
    occasions after I used the scroll-down button.

    --
    Cheers!

    Glen
    Glen Guest

  5. #5

    <com> wrote:

    >> You think it could be solved by giving the browser(s) more memory, or I
    >> just don't have enough memory (48 MB + RamDoubler) in the machine?
    >>

    >> I tried that and as I remember I still got the screen freezes.[/ref]
    >
    >The problem with iCab was discussed as a "bug" on the iCab Yahoo group.
    >Now that I think about it, the problem still existed on my 7300 w/256K
    >RAM.
    >
    >Moving to a newer machine and OS and more memory certainly cured the
    >problem. But when I was encountering the same problem as you, I had to
    >franticly re-boot to get back and watch the close of an auction on a few
    >occasions after I used the scroll-down button.[/ref]

    Maybe I should consider OS 8.5, but I hate to move up to a newer, more
    demanding system on this humble PM 5400/120 just because of problems with
    one website. I first noticed this problem with eBay when I was running
    System 7.6.1 and upgraded to 8.1 so I could run a run the latest 5.x
    version of Explorer. That version has a bug that wouldn't allow me to
    launch an alias of it from my PPP Menu control panel (and the eBay problem
    remained), so I went back to Explorer 5.0.

    But the fact that the screen freezes are happening in four different
    browsers leads me to believe it's not the browsers' fault. I even went into
    Explorer's preferences and disabled everything possible (images, Active-X,
    javascript, style sheets, etc.) and it had no effect.
    Dennis Guest

  6. #6

    I doubt if this will be helpful, but for what it's worth: I've long had
    exactly the same problem with eBay, OS 8.1, and Netscape 4.5, 4.8, and
    Outlook 5.6...right down to the problem with freezing when scrolling
    downward with the scrollbar in eBay windows. My situation differs though,
    in that it continually got worse, until now my web browsers produce the
    same freezes on any website. Also, the general problem (frequent crashes)
    has gradually spread to Wordperfect, and now to the finder. My mac is a
    7100. I tried everything, including updating to 8.5. A clue finally came
    when a found that Techtool would run fine doing all its tests EXCEPT its
    RAM tests, during which it would inevitably freeze. I now believe I have
    some bad RAM. Couldn't get any simms out to check, but the mac is so old, I
    just bought a "new" G3 desktop on eBay, accessed from work. ($150,
    including shipping) Haven't set it up yet. Am still using the 7100, which,
    interestingly, will still work fine when using Eudora and YA
    Newswatcher...as long as I don't save too many articles and therefore
    access the Finder

    For what it's worth,
    Leonard

    Interesting coincidence of symptoms, though. Hate to leave the mystery unsolved.

    --
    "Everything that rises must converge"
    --Flannery O'Connor

  7. #7

    In article <bellsouth.net>,
    net (Leonard Martin) wrote:

    That could possibly be my problem also. I bought my PM 5400 used on eBay
    and it came with only 16 MB of RAM installed. I bought a 32 MB DIMM (on
    eBay once again), put it in the slot that the 16 MB DIMM had been in and
    put the 16 DIMM in the previously empty slot (the only way the computer
    would boot). I also did the 256K L2 Cache upgrade.

    But unlike you I haven't noticed any problem at all with other websites or
    in other apps -- just eBay when trying to scroll down a list of a searched
    item.

    --
    _--_ "I tell ya I don't get sad no more."
    / `--''> ,,,
    | / I I |||||||||[:::] Super Seventies RockSite!
    \ oo ,-._> ''' http://www.superseventies.com/
    `--'
    Dennis Guest

  8. #8

    (1 hour later)

    Well I've just ran TechTool Pro's memory test and discovered that the old
    RAM Doubler 2.0.2 control panel I have installed was causing the app and
    the entire computer to crash. So I've removed RAM Doubler from my computer.
    I seem to remember reading that its usefulness is debatable when using OS
    8.1 or higher anyway. Perhaps that will solve the scrolling problem with
    eBay's pages.

    Thanks Leonard for the input about TechTool's memory test -- you helped
    even though it was indirectly. ;)
    Dennis Guest