Professional Web Applications Themes

Edit an eps - Macromedia Freehand

Does anyone know how to edit an eps created in another program like Illustrator or Quark or InDesign or Corel, in Freehand? I have to use Illustrator for this reason....

  1. #1

    Default Edit an eps

    Does anyone know how to edit an eps created in another program like Illustrator or Quark or InDesign or Corel, in Freehand? I have to use Illustrator for this reason.
    algraph Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Edit an eps

    algraph wrote:

    Illustrator is a good method to do that. You can also use several
    methods to convert an EPS into a PDF which you can import into Freehand
    (like using Acrobat Distiller or Apple Preview.)
    Wes Guest

  3. #3

    Wes Rand wrote:

    > Illustrator is a good method to do that. You can also use several
    > methods to convert an EPS into a PDF which you can import into Freehand
    > (like using Acrobat Distiller or Apple Preview.)[/ref]

    Or as an Illustrator 8 or earlier file then open in FH.
    Rich Guest

  4. #4

    Thanks guys. I was afraid you were going to say that. I already knew it
    couldn't be done but a guy I know says he has a trick and I was going to second
    guess him if you came up with another answer. I've used Freehand since v2 and
    love it.
    So, I need illustrator in order to work in Freehand, cute.

    algraph Guest

  5. #5

    FreeHand can open some EPS files natively. Make sure that under your
    Preferences > Import you have "Convert Editable EPS" turned on. EPS
    files are not intended as a pass-around file format to edit. You edit in
    FH or Illustrator, whatever, then export for final output to EPS.

    Rich

    Rich Guest

  6. #6

    You need an application that has an interpreter for Adobe's patented PostScript technology. Adobe has understandably been loath to license this technology to it largest competitor. The good news, such as it is, is that Adobe is no longer in competition with Macromedia, since the announcement of a merger between the two. The bad news is that with two formerly competing, redundant design applications in their stable, the new combined company is likely to keep only the one that sells best. That one is not Freehand, unfortunately.

    For getting EPS files into Freehand for editing, I like to use JawsPDF. This is a drag-drop application that does a fairly decent job of converting EPS files to PDF files which can be opened and edited in Freehand.

    http://www.jawspdf.com/

    They have a trial version that places a vector object watermark over the file contents, but the watermark is easily removed once the file is opened in Freehand.

    --
    Bill
    FHMXa/WinXP/Athlon2500+/1GB

    On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 18:02:06 +0000 (UTC), algraph <com> wrote:

    Bill Guest