Professional Web Applications Themes

Edit guides box out of screen - urgent!! - Macromedia Freehand

Never had this problem before, but no FH9 displays the Edit Guides Box somewhere outside me screen. Running a 2 monitor system on my comp. Have tried to delete FHprefs.txt, imported settings from another machine not having this problem, I have restarted the machine... Any good ideas, except re-installing FH9? Bjorn...

  1. #1

    Default Edit guides box out of screen - urgent!!

    Dritalei webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Edit guides box out of screen - urgent!!

    Things like this can happen when the monitor configuration is changed. Most
    often, repositioning dual monitors is the action that confused FH. I assume
    that since you quote the prefs file as being "FHprefs.txt" that you are
    using Windows.

    Macromedia Recommend Procedure:
    The only safe fix is to uninstall and reinstall. If you have created any
    custom libraries (Styles, Colors, ...) you may wish to make a copy of the
    appropriate sub-folders of "...\FreeHand 9\Engish\" before you uninstall.
    You can then copy the contents of these old folders into the new ones after
    the reinstall. Note to users of FH10.0.1 and newer (any MM app that has a
    "First Run" folder in its language ("English", ...) folder): Don't make
    copies like this; the newer FH's use these folders differently. Simply run
    the Uninstaller and answer "No" when asked if you want to remove the
    personal settings files.

    No Life Guards On Duty - Swim At Your Own Risk and Please Don't Pet the
    Sharks:
    If you are perfectly comfortable swimming in a pool of gasoline with a lit
    candle between your teeth then you could try editing the Registry. You would
    want to delete the following key:

    HKeyCurrentUser\Software\Macromedia\FreeHand\9\Dia logs

    This will reset the location of may dialogs within FH. It will also reset
    the default path and default format used by all Open/Save/Import/Export
    dialogs. If you are even more Registry savy you could delete only the
    "EditGuidesDlgPosition" entry found in the key, above, and avoid resetting
    any other dialogs.

    If you make a mistake while editing the Registry it can not be "undone".
    When you make an edit, the change happens immediately without any "save" or
    "update" confirmation. You can very, very easily, with only 2-3 key strokes,
    damage the Registy to the extent that Windows, itself, will have to be
    reinstalled. I've seen highly skilled programming engineers make mistakes
    that forces an OS reinstall. Personally, my worst mistakes have required
    only 1-2 hours of uninstalling, reinstalling, and manual Registry editing to
    fix and I'm the FH Design and QA Team lead for things involving the Windows
    Registry and use the Registry Editor several times a day.

    David W Gangwisch
    Software Design Engineer - FreeHand
    Macromedia, Inc.

    "Dritalei" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > Never had this problem before, but no FH9 displays the Edit Guides Box
    somewhere outside me screen. Running a 2 monitor system on my comp.

    > Have tried to delete FHprefs.txt, imported settings from another machine
    not having this problem, I have restarted the machine...

    > Any good ideas, except re-installing FH9?
    >

    > Bjorn

    david gangwisch Guest

  3. #3

    On Wed, 7 Jan 2004 11:39:01 -0600, david gangwisch
    <dgangwischmacromedia.com> wrote:

    > you could try editing the Registry. You would
    > want to delete the following key:
    >
    > HKeyCurrentUser\Software\Macromedia\FreeHand\9\Dia logs

    You'll want to make a backup of the registry first. In regedit.exe, under
    the 'Registry' menu, Export Registry File...

    --
    Bill
    FHMX/Win98/Athlon2100+/512M

  4. #4

    Thank you, David and Bill!

    I've re-installed FH9, and back in business! Kept deadlines because of your help!
    Editing the registry is way out of my league:) I'm feeding the sharks everyday anyway by depending om Windows XP...

    Please, David, tell me it's all nonsense, that Macromedia will let Freehand slowly die... These nasty rumors on this forum keeps me awake in night.
    For me Freehand is THE vector tool, makes me do things in 20-30 minutes which takes 2 hours in Illustrator, Corel or InDesign. Ok, there's bugs, but still FH crash far less often than Windows. And there is no software on this planet without bugs. Freehand for me is like my Land Rover, I know there's some small problems but no one else is up for the job. Simple as that.

    Does Freehand or Studio MXa exist for the Linux platform?

    Thanks again guys!!!

    Bjorn
    Norway

    Dritalei webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  5. #5

    Glad we could help you find your "lost" dialog.

    As to the rumors, all I can say is rumors are just that, rumors.

    As to Linux, all I can say is that we _never_ talk publically about what we
    are developing or thinking about developing. At present we have no "design"
    apps (vector, bitmap, html, ...) for Linux and we do not test our Windows
    apps with any Linux-based Windows emulator. Our graphics apps rely heavily
    on an OS-based GUI and, at present, the only "Unix + GUI" flavor we support
    is Mac OSX.

    > Thank you, David and Bill!
    >
    > I've re-installed FH9, and back in business! Kept deadlines because of
    your help!
    > Editing the registry is way out of my league:) I'm feeding the sharks
    everyday anyway by depending om Windows XP...

    > Please, David, tell me it's all nonsense, that Macromedia will let
    Freehand slowly die... These nasty rumors on this forum keeps me awake in
    night.
    > For me Freehand is THE vector tool, makes me do things in 20-30 minutes
    which takes 2 hours in Illustrator, Corel or InDesign. Ok, there's bugs, but
    still FH crash far less often than Windows. And there is no software on this
    planet without bugs. Freehand for me is like my Land Rover, I know there's
    some small problems but no one else is up for the job. Simple as that.

    > Does Freehand or Studio MXa exist for the Linux platform?
    >
    > Thanks again guys!!!
    >
    > Bjorn
    > Norway

    david gangwisch Guest