Professional Web Applications Themes

Edit page shows blank page! - Macromedia Contribute General Discussion

We have a serious problem with Contribute 3: We browse to the page we wish to edit, and then click 'Edit'. Contribute fetches the templates etc; as normal, but instead of showing the page (with locked regions and editable regions) it shows a completely blank page! Here are some info about the page: - It is template based, created using Dreamweaver MX - Opening the page in Dreamweaver displays the page as it should - The page uses SSI xincludes to populate certain parts of the page (nav etc;) - the page itself has the extention .shtml - The page ...

  1. #1

    Default Edit page shows blank page!

    We have a serious problem with Contribute 3:

    We browse to the page we wish to edit, and then click 'Edit'. Contribute
    fetches the templates etc; as normal, but instead of showing the page (with
    locked regions and editable regions) it shows a completely blank page!

    Here are some info about the page:
    - It is template based, created using Dreamweaver MX
    - Opening the page in Dreamweaver displays the page as it should
    - The page uses SSI xincludes to populate certain parts of the page (nav etc;)
    - the page itself has the extention .shtml
    - The page is made of roughly three templates (a master template, a section
    template and a page layout template)
    - This happens on BOTH the Mac OSX 10.2 AND Windows XP SP2!

    To be honest, this isnt the first time we've had problems with Contribute3. We
    spent all of last week trying to work out why Contribute was hanging when
    editing a page. In the end, we had to move the entire site to a different
    server, hosted here in the UK (this was from a Rackspace server in the states!
    Not exactly a mediocore host by any means!). I'm still not convinced this was a
    server issue, as a multitude of FTP clients AND Dreamweaver would connect fine.
    This also occured on BOTH the mac AND windows!

    Quite frankly, I'm at the end of my tether with Contribute3: this version has
    been nothing but trouble! It also appears that Macromedia seem to be ignoring
    some serious issues with it as well! (We also found a serious bug: adding a
    style to an element after defining a class would crash Contribute3! )

    We want to move back to Contribute2 (which, incedentally, works perfectly!),
    but we cant as our clients can no longer purchase Contribute2 anymore! Arggh!!!

    Back on topic...

    SO, can anyone help wirth the 'blank page' problem? I dont even know where to
    begin trying to fix this!

    BenDavies Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Edit page shows blank page!

    I am having the same problem. Contribute used to work fine and show the
    templet while editing. I had our developer add a banner space above the
    editable area and now Contribute shows a blank page in edit mode. If they
    remove the banner area everthing is fine again. We are both scraching our
    heads to why this is happening. I can't blame it on the newer version becasue
    that is what I have always used with no problems untill now.

    DeWayne102 Guest

  3. #3

    We have located the problem:

    We found that a template tag had been added around the starting body tag, and
    closed straight after it. It appears that Contribute got confused, and assumed
    that this template closed the page, and hid everything after the opening body
    tag.

    Removing this fixed it. What is interesting is that none of us here added this
    template tag!!?!?!

    BenDavies Guest

  4. #4

    hi BenDavies,

    im having a similar problem with clients pages, could you please explain your solution more clearly, i cant understand, how you fixed it!

    thanks a lot lot lot!
    mosign Guest

  5. #5

    Ben, I would still like to find a answer to this problem. Our developers never
    did figure it out. Please post if you get it figured out.
    Some pages edit fine while others are all jumbled up while editing.
    Thanks!

    DeWayne102 Guest

  6. #6

    [q]Originally posted by: BenDavies
    We have located the problem:

    We found that a template tag had been added around the starting body tag, and
    closed straight after it. It appears that Contribute got confused, and assumed
    that this template closed the page, and hid everything after the opening body
    tag.

    Removing this fixed it. What is interesting is that none of us here added this
    template tag!!?!?!
    [/q]

    Can anyone address this "problem" with Contribute? Is it not possible to have
    more than one editable area? Or is this just a bug? It seems that some pages
    work fine with more than one editable area, others do not ... so my guess is
    it's a bug.
    It would sure be NICE for someone who is more technically informed about the
    program to chime in here. Seems most people who reply to these questions only
    have a couple of posts on the forum, not that it's not appreciated ... but how
    are people supposed to figure out if this is a program problem, coding problem,
    or what?
    It sure would be nice to get a straight answer from someone at ADOBE ...
    instead of everyone trying to guess what the problem is.

    TherealDJMac Guest

  7. #7

    I have found that incorrect include paths can cause display problems with
    contribute. If the include files themselves aren't done properly (e.g. opening
    and closing <html> and <body> tags within multiple includes on a page which
    would result in multiple opening and closing <html> and <body> tags on the
    "main" page) the display in the Contribute browser can be inconsistent with the
    draft of the same page when editing. Hope this helps. Cheers

    TheTakenNickname Guest