I know the client can edit the editable regions of pages based on a template. BUT can they also edit the template itself? In Contribute you can't edit the Templates. [allowsmilie] => 1 [showsignature] => 0 [ipaddress] => [iconid] => 0 [visible] => 1 [attach] => 0 [infraction] => 0 [reportthreadid] => 0 [isusenetpost] => 1 [msgid] => [ref] => [htmlstate] => on_nl2br [postusername] => Dominic Michael [ip] => webforumsuser@m [isdeleted] => 0 [usergroupid] => [membergroupids] => [displaygroupid] => [password] => [passworddate] => [email] => [styleid] => [parentemail] => [homepage] => [icq] => [aim] => [yahoo] => [msn] => [skype] => [showvbcode] => [showbirthday] => [usertitle] => [customtitle] => [joindate] => [daysprune] => [lastvisit] => [lastactivity] => [lastpost] => [lastpostid] => [posts] => [reputation] => [reputationlevelid] => [timezoneoffset] => [pmpopup] => [avatarid] => [avatarrevision] => [profilepicrevision] => [sigpicrevision] => [options] => [akvbghsfs_optionsfield] => [birthday] => [birthday_search] => [maxposts] => [startofweek] => [referrerid] => [languageid] => [emailstamp] => [threadedmode] => [autosubscribe] => [pmtotal] => [pmunread] => [salt] => [ipoints] => [infractions] => [warnings] => [infractiongroupids] => [infractiongroupid] => [adminoptions] => [profilevisits] => [friendcount] => [friendreqcount] => [vmunreadcount] => [vmmoderatedcount] => [socgroupinvitecount] => [socgroupreqcount] => [pcunreadcount] => [pcmoderatedcount] => [gmmoderatedcount] => [assetposthash] => [fbuserid] => [fbjoindate] => [fbname] => [logintype] => [fbaccesstoken] => [newrepcount] => [vbseo_likes_in] => [vbseo_likes_out] => [vbseo_likes_unread] => [temp] => [field1] => [field2] => [field3] => [field4] => [field5] => [subfolders] => [pmfolders] => [buddylist] => [ignorelist] => [signature] => [searchprefs] => [rank] => [icontitle] => [iconpath] => [avatarpath] => [hascustomavatar] => 0 [avatardateline] => [avwidth] => [avheight] => [edit_userid] => [edit_username] => [edit_dateline] => [edit_reason] => [hashistory] => [pagetext_html] => [hasimages] => [signatureparsed] => [sighasimages] => [sigpic] => [sigpicdateline] => [sigpicwidth] => [sigpicheight] => [postcount] => 5 [islastshown] => 1 [isfirstshown] => [attachments] => [allattachments] => ) --> Edit Template Itself in Contribute - Macromedia Contribute General Discussion

Edit Template Itself in Contribute - Macromedia Contribute General Discussion

I know the client can edit the editable regions of pages based on a template. BUT can they also edit the template itself? I have setup a sidebar in the template which is locked because it has to be ted on all the site's pages based on the template. But the content of the sidebar needs to change frequently, so I want the client to be able to go into the template page itself and make the changes to the sidebar and then publish it and UPDATE all the pages based on the template. Can they do that in Contribute?...

  1. #1

    Default Edit Template Itself in Contribute

    I know the client can edit the editable regions of pages based on a template.
    BUT can they also edit the template itself? I have setup a sidebar in the
    template which is locked because it has to be ted on all the site's
    pages based on the template. But the content of the sidebar needs to change
    frequently, so I want the client to be able to go into the template page itself
    and make the changes to the sidebar and then publish it and UPDATE all the
    pages based on the template. Can they do that in Contribute?

    jetmaster Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Edit Template Itself in Contribute

    On Dec 8, 11:18 am, "jetmaster" <webforumsu...macromedia.com> wrote:
    > I know the client can edit the editable regions of pages based on a template.
    > BUT can they also edit the template itself? I have setup a sidebar in the
    > template which is locked because it has to be ted on all the site's
    > pages based on the template. But the content of the sidebar needs to change
    > frequently, so I want the client to be able to go into the template page itself
    > and make the changes to the sidebar and then publish it and UPDATE all the
    > pages based on the template. Can they do that in Contribute?
    What you're trying to do seems contrary to the basic approach of
    Contribute. Remember, in order for the users to edit a page, they have
    to be able to navigate to the page with their browser (or contribute).
    With that in mind, here's an approach:

    Put the side bar all by itself in a separate html page. Obviously
    most, if not all, of this page are "editable". Thus, the user can edit
    the side bar. Now, use PHP to create the sidebar in every "actual"
    page by reading the sidebar.html file and plucking out the areas that
    you want. Your actual pages will still have the sidebar in a non-
    editable region (since that area is created by PHP). Seems fairly
    straight-forward to me.

    Bob on Whidbey Guest

  3. #3

    In Contribute, the customer can play in the Editable region. You can use Dreamweaver to do the same.
    Dominic Michael Guest

  4. #4

    I'm not sure what you mean. Can you elaborate a little, please.
    jetmaster Guest

  5. #5