Professional Web Applications Themes

Edit Text Question. - Adobe Illustrator Windows

I am VERY new to Adobe Illustrator (Illustrator 10), i had a very quick lesson from a friend and he told me that when i send files to others ive gotta do >Select-All >Type-Create Outlines and then save and send. I did this, now i can't edit my text anymore! I was wondering how i can either un-do this or how i can edit my text again, because i wasn't done with what i am working on! Thanks so much, Jess...

  1. #1

    Default Edit Text Question.

    Jessica_McCool@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Edit Text Question.

    Jess,

    i had a very quick lesson from a friend...

    You owe your friend a very quick electrocution.

    Converting type to outlines (paths) can prevent font-related problems once the file is out of your hands, but the bad news is that it's a one-way street.

    Always keep a working copy of your file with live text intact.

    =-= Harron =-=
    Harron_K._Appleman@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    ggrreeeaaatttt. Now what do i do? If i delete ALL of the text off of the file can i re-do it? This is a label for a beverage company... this is a huge deal.

    Should i do the outlines for my final draft before i send it to the package producers or should i not do it at all?

    Sorry for my questions, i've been thrown into this program with no help at all and nobody around to ask. Thanks for your help.

    Jessica
    Jessica_McCool@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    If i delete ALL of the text off of the file can i re-do it?

    Of course you can.

    Should i do the outlines for my final draft before i send it to the package
    producers or should i not do it at all?

    Yes you should, but keep a copy with live text for editing. It's always a good idea to have back ups for a job that is taking you a lot of time.

    What software do you usually use?
    Timothy_Foolery®@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Jessica,

    Talk to your package producers. Ask them if they have the fonts you used and what they prefer.

    If we're not talking about a lot of text, my preference for something like this would be to send out the art with outlined type.

    Keep a master file with live text for further editing as required. Make a copy (do a 'save as') on which you do the conversion to outlines, and send out that copy for output.

    Use a file-naming convention that avoids confusion -- e.g., "Bev-label_053104b_OTL.ai".

    Now what do i do?

    Do the text over again from scratch.

    Then, never convert the text in your master file. Make sense?

  6. #6

    Ask them if they have the fonts you used

    Regardless of whether they have the fonts, you can still run into trouble with unconverted text. It doesn't hurt to convert the text and why would you want to send an editable working file to the printers?

    Hmmmm...?
    Timothy_Foolery®@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    ...why would you want to send an editable working file to the printers?

    With some printers, never. With others, it's not a big deal.

    Do you really think converting all type to outlines makes the file uneditable?

    Why not send out only PDFs with security settings that prevent any kind of editing?

    Hmmmm...?
    Harron_K._Appleman@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Ok, im getting what i should be doing now. I just need lots of copies of my stuff. :)

    And Timothy, i was using Paint Shop Pro 8 before i started using Adobe.. but this is my first time using it for work, i had just been using PSP8 for fun.

    I have another question for whoever, how can you erase? ive got a block of white above a picture and i'm wanting to get rid of some of it, not the whole thing.. i tried the Erase Tool, but it doesn't seem to do anything.

    Thanks
    Jessica_McCool@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Well, the thing is Jessica you're working in a vector program now, not raster. You can't really "erase" parts of an object the way you can in Photoshop or Paintshop Pro. You could either delete the object (white block) and draw one (with the pen tool)that's the shape you want, or make a clipping mask and hide the bits you don't want.

    EDIT: Or use the pathfinder pallet to remove parts, or do it lots of other ways. I'd have to suggest now that you grab the manual and get reading. :)
    Timothy_Foolery®@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    grab the manual and start reading.... thats part of the problem.... in my recent move the book has gone missing, i have the quick reference card and the box, but no book. I went out and got Adobe Illustrator 10 for Dummies, LOL but it doesn't seem to help too much!

    know any good online tutorials?
    Jessica_McCool@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    Jessica,

    You can also duplicate the layer with your text on it, set it to hidden and
    THEN convert the text to outlines on the original layer - that way you still
    have an editable version but only a single file to worry about.

    LenHewitt@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    Jessica,

    You may read the manual on screen: F1/Help>Illustrator help is identical to the printed version, apart from a few small details.

    My experience shows that a separate layer for outlined text works well, just as Len suggests: just remember to redo it if you edit.
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    Jessica,

    Just to make sure nothing goes wrong maybe you should lock the layer(s) with the text before you create the outlines (you can find Lock among the Layer Options); if you forget to hide it or accidentally make it visible, guess what happens.

    The way I do it is to duplicate the text layer (if you have more than one you may copy (CtrlC and CtrlF to place it in the same spot) from the others), add 'outlines' to the name instead of 'copy', and lock the original layer(s).

    The manual may be a hard read until you know Illy well.
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest

  14. #14

    You might try classroom in a book as well.

    Aside from keeping a copy of the file with fonts as fonts, and as outlined, if it is something you are spending a lot of time on, I'd be sure to keep back up copies on a different computer or drive. It really s to lose 40 hours of work due to a hard drive failure. It is even worse (somehow) to lose a ton of work to a corrupt file.
    Philip_Peterson@adobeforums.com Guest

  15. #15

    Philip is right. One way of doing it is to burn it to a CD using multisession; a new session just before you close down for the day with new versions of what you are working with.
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest