Professional Web Applications Themes

Editable areas and templates with DW - Macromedia Dynamic HTML

I work for a company that every site that we build is based on templates. Our designers create the template and add content; the developers add code (Coldfusion) to make pages dynamic, etc; then the customers are using Contribute to modify/ create the pages they want later. This allows the customer to manage their own site. The issue we are running into now and again is that the customers are going in and modifying the pages with the dynamic content and messing up the script coding somehow. We had one page that for some reason contribute completely wiped out all ...

  1. #1

    Default Editable areas and templates with DW

    I work for a company that every site that we build is based on templates. Our
    designers create the template and add content; the developers add code
    (Coldfusion) to make pages dynamic, etc; then the customers are using
    Contribute to modify/ create the pages they want later. This allows the
    customer to manage their own site.

    The issue we are running into now and again is that the customers are going in
    and modifying the pages with the dynamic content and messing up the script
    coding somehow. We had one page that for some reason contribute completely
    wiped out all of the code in the editable head region of the page.

    Is there a way that we can create templates that the developers can add there
    code to, yet have it locked to the customers? I have been playing around with
    the editable attributres with no luck at all.

    Brad Woodfield Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Editable areas and templates with DW

    Contribute users do not have access to the code at the HTML level, so I
    don't see how this would be possible.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "Brad Woodfield" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    >I work for a company that every site that we build is based on templates.
    >Our
    > designers create the template and add content; the developers add code
    > (Coldfusion) to make pages dynamic, etc; then the customers are using
    > Contribute to modify/ create the pages they want later. This allows the
    > customer to manage their own site.
    >
    > The issue we are running into now and again is that the customers are
    > going in
    > and modifying the pages with the dynamic content and messing up the script
    > coding somehow. We had one page that for some reason contribute
    > completely
    > wiped out all of the code in the editable head region of the page.
    >
    > Is there a way that we can create templates that the developers can add
    > there
    > code to, yet have it locked to the customers? I have been playing around
    > with
    > the editable attributres with no luck at all.

    Murray *TMM* Guest

  3. #3

    Generally no there is not problem with the coldfusion generated script and
    contribute users, but there are odd instances where the code is being effected.
    Also it would be nice to be able to use the template, create a nice form then
    lock the page from it being editted.

    Brad Woodfield Guest

  4. #4

    Contribute users will only be able to edit the images, the links, and the
    text content. They cannot edit the form or its actions, or its elements.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

  5. #5

    You are correct they cannot edit the actual HTML Tag contents, BUT it there a
    way to lock the entire page down so that they cannot edit anything on the page
    once it is created from the template?
    We are a re-distributer of contribute and have numerous clients that use the
    software. As I stated though we have had instances where contribute has wiped
    out the coldfusion code from some reason. This is also one of the reasons we
    would like to be able to lock down certain pages but keep them attacked to the
    template.

    Originally posted by: Newsgroup User

  6. #6

    > You are correct they cannot edit the actual HTML Tag contents, BUT it
    > there a
    > way to lock the entire page down so that they cannot edit anything on the
    > page
    > once it is created from the template?
    No. Not with Contribute. If this is what you must do, then use a robust
    CMS.

    However - I am not clear on what is happening here. Contribute CANNOT
    access the code you are saying has been changed....

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

  7. #7

    Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
    No. Not with Contribute. If this is what you must do, then use a robust
    CMS.

    The CMS route is not really an option. Is there no Template expressions that
    would allow for the site administrator to say that this page is editable?

    Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
    However - I am not clear on what is happening here. Contribute CANNOT
    access the code you are saying has been changed....

    This through us for a loop as well. The entire Coldfusion code with in the
    head editable area was completely gone after the contribute user editted the
    page. They had tested the form and it worked. They added an image and modified
    the text colour, published the work, then the form didn't work. When we
    openned the doent all the coldfusion code was gone. :confused;

    Brad Woodfield Guest

  8. #8

    > The CMS route is not really an option. Is there no Template expressions
    > that
    > would allow for the site administrator to say that this page is editable?
    No. Sorry. You could make this suggestion to the dev team, but, well, you
    know how that goes....

    [url]http://www.macromedia.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform[/url]

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575