Professional Web Applications Themes

editing text using advance editing feature - Adobe Acrobat Macintosh

I created 11 PDFs in InDesign for my client. She wants to be able to change the headlines on the PDFs using Acrobat editing features. I never attempted to do that extensive editing in Acrobat, and I notice you cannot keep the line spacing and justification intact. I created the PDFs in Mac but she will be using a PC. Is there a way to do this where everthing stays in place? I am using Times Roman Bold for the heads. Thanks...

  1. #1

    Default editing text using advance editing feature

    michael_wayne_hunter@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: editing text using advance editing feature

    This is really not a suitable use for PDF, or for Acrobat.
    Collaborative editing really does require everyone to have the same
    software for design.

    Aandi Inston
    Aandi_Inston@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Aandi,

    how do I edit text in a PDF on Mac to keep line spacing, justification intact? If I use Touchup Text tool I loose all formatting.

    Thanks!
    Ann
    Ann_Carraher@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Here is a method I have used but it is quite limited.....

    When creating the original doent, put in the longest heading you anticipate needing, especially if it runs over a few lines.

    then: she edits one line at a time, selecting and typing over, manually deciding line breaks rather than letting the application do it.
    Phil_Taz@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Thank you for your response Aandi. I know it is not suitable, if it was my choice I would not do it. But your solution is not feasible. I notice when you do editing with the advance editing the text is in a box. Is there a way to increase the size of the box?
    michael_wayne_hunter@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Phil, thank you.

    I don't have the original, so I am trying to modify something I received from another source. I also converted to Word, but can't edit text in Word either.
    Ann_Carraher@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Hi Phil;

    I both teach and work in print with Acrobat. First rule with Acrobat editing is: it is always better to work the original and resave in Acrobat than to try and do editing inside Acrobat...unless you do not have the original. I use it Acrobat mainly with Illustrator as the originating app. When a PDF is opened in Illustrator (and I assume the same would happen in InDesign), text occasionally remains the same. But in most cases, either it turns into outline font, or the lines are broken up into sections, and the paragraph structure is always gone. Headers in large font size tend to remain unscathed. Touch-Up Text tool is somewhat a hit or miss proposition and I have had better results using the Touch-Up Object tool and Edit Page inside Illustrator (I'm not sure if the same applies to InDesign). For small corrections, Acrobat is fine. But when you want to correct with justification and line spacing intact, use the original InDesign file instead.

    Paul
    pgary@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    > But your solution is not feasible.

    But, I am afraid, neither is yours.

  9. #9

    Headers in large font size tend to remain unscathed.

    Depending on the size and length of the headlines, you may be able to accommodate your client. Does require some work to manipulate them properly, though. Also, keep in mind that character maps, kerning and tracking values will change a bit from Mac to PC, unless you are using OpenType which tends to maintain the same values. Hopefully your Times Roman Bold is transferable.

  10. #10

    If you select PDF 1.6 or above - opentype will be embedded into the PDF
    through Distiller (if this is your PDF creation method). If a PDF
    version any lower, it will be converted to truetype/postscript format ...

    Jon
    Jon Bessant Guest

  11. #11

    Actually, it works with PDF 1.5 (6.x) as well. I teach in a Windows lab yet all the doents were created with OpenType on a Mac. Students using Windows were able to edit the text without a problem.

  12. #12

    Were these opentype or just fonts which matched on both systems ...

    Jon
    Jon Bessant Guest

  13. #13

    Distiller will NEVER do a native embed of an OpenType font. It always "strips away the wrapper" and produces a PDF with either the TTF or T1 "core" of the font.

    PDF 1.6, however, supports the native embedding of an OpenType font in order to enable proper text layout when editing form fields. It is only used in that case.

    Leonard
    Leonard_Rosenthol@adobeforums.com Guest

  14. #14

    Jon;

    The original fonts used in Illustrator and saved as a PDF (1.5-6.x) were OpenType fonts (Warnock Pro and Myriad Pro to be exact). Doent Propertie's Font tab of this doent shows the fonts as embedded subset T1 fonts. Users on Windows platform with the supplied Mac version of this font were able to edit the doent correctly.
    pgary@adobeforums.com Guest

  15. #15

    Getting back to Michael's original problem, in the light of the experts' advice here, another 'real-world' workaround I have used is to open the original doc in acrobat pro and delete the offending text paragraph, place the page in InDesign and reset the missing text over the top and re-export pdf....a quick and easy workaround in some cases such as a single page with a bum headline.
    Phil_Taz@adobeforums.com Guest