Professional Web Applications Themes

Effect of NOT updating template changes - Macromedia Dreamweaver

Tin: This sounds dangerous to me.   If you say NO, then no files will be updated until the next time you say YES. At that time, all files will be updated including the ones you don't want to be updated. It kinda defeats the purpose of the template, doncha know? -- Murray --- ICQ 71997575 Team Macromedia Volunteer for Dreamweaver MX (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!) ================== news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.dreamweaver - THE BEST WAY TO GET ANSWERS ================== http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com - Template Triage! http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources http://www.DreamweaverFAQ.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Effect of NOT updating template changes

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "TinMan" <com> wrote in message
    few
    make
    changes

    Murray Guest

  2. #2

    Do you never want to apply these changes to the existing pages- only to new
    pages??

    If so- you would want to open each of the template dwt files, and do a
    "save as" into the Templates folder, with a new filename like
    newoldfilename.dwt

    then apply these new templates to new files....

    However-
    1) it's more work..
    2) the site will "diverge" with new pages and old pages...
    3) hard to say without knowing what css styles you will be creating- but
    probably nothing bad will happen if you apply that stylesheet to the
    existing pages.

    even if it does look bad or odd in the old page- you could open and fix up
    several pages per hour.. and wind up with them the way you want so you can
    go forward with one set of templates.

    find and replace can strip font tags and other tags to speed the cleanup

    > If you say NO, then no files will be updated until the next time you say
    > YES. At that time, all files will be updated including the ones you don't
    > want to be updated. It kinda defeats the purpose of the template, doncha
    > know?[/ref]

    Certified Dreamweaver MX Developer

    Alan Guest

  3. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    TinMan Guest
    Moderated Post

  4. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Murray Guest
    Moderated Post

  5. #5

    DW 4 because that's all the company will buy. I have MX at home and
    hopefully I can sneak MX onto some future PC's, but for now I'm stuck with
    it.

    12 different templates. - Not sure how to explain that. These are plans for
    responding to different types of incidents at different physical sites.
    There is a different template for each "topic", so each site uses about 12
    topics and thus twelve templates. Then a hundred sites or so and I've got
    ton of itty bitty files.

    But, I appreciate the thought.

    I'll back everything up and see how much it messes things up.

    Thanks all.

    "Murray *TMM*" <com> wrote in message
    few
    an

    TinMan Guest

  6. #6

    Tin:

    Be aware that templates that have been created in DMX or have had template
    regions added in DMX will be unusable in DW4.

    for

    This would be simple to do (depending on how different each "topic" is
    layout-wise, of course) with a single template in DMX.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================
    http://www.DreamweaverFAQ.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
    ==================

    "TinMan" <com> wrote in message
    for
    > few [/ref]
    DW4 - [/ref]
    Is

    >[/ref]

    Murray Guest

  7. #7

    Thanks - So once I go, there's no turning back and I will need ALL my PC's
    to have MX?

    Tin
    > for [/ref]
    12 [/ref]
    got

    > This would be simple to do (depending on how different each "topic" is
    > layout-wise, of course) with a single template in DMX.
    >
    > --
    > Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    > Team Macromedia Volunteer for Dreamweaver MX
    > (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
    > ==================
    > news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.dreamweaver - THE BEST WAY TO GET
    > ANSWERS
    > ==================
    > http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com - Template Triage!
    > http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
    > http://www.DreamweaverFAQ.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
    > http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/ - Macromedia (MM) Technotes
    > ==================
    >
    > "TinMan" <com> wrote in message
    > news:bgrhlv$oct$macromedia.com... [/ref]
    with
    > for [/ref]
    12 [/ref]
    got [/ref][/ref]
    a [/ref]
    > DW4 - [/ref][/ref]
    drop [/ref]
    > Is
    > >

    > >[/ref]
    >
    >[/ref]

    TinMan Guest

  8. #8

    Tin:

    If you are creating templates, or adding regions to existing templates in
    DMX, then the resulting template/child pages will only function properly in
    DMX. If you are editing legacy templates in DMX, but not adding regions,
    (optional, repeating, editable, etc.), then you might be OK. I say might
    because DMX is very much stricter about valid code than DW4 was.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================
    http://www.DreamweaverFAQ.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
    ==================

    "TinMan" <com> wrote in message

    Murray Guest

  9. #9

    Noted. Thanks!

    "Murray *TMM*" <com> wrote in message
    in [/ref]
    PC's

    >[/ref]

    TinMan Guest

  10. #10

    If you have a mixed shop with dw4 and dmx- You could make a rule that the
    templates only be edited with dw4.

    that removes the possibility that they get dmx only syntax in them..

    the method of enforcement is up to you :)