Professional Web Applications Themes

Elements 1 Opens Pics Now, but Still Freezes - Adobe Photoshop Elements

Hi, me again, with the new XP o/s. Thanks BobHill for the reply, no, don't have anything by Norton on my PC, unless XP installed something I haven't found yet. I've followed all of the suggestions I've seen here and at Adobes troubleshooting page relating to my problem and the good news is I can open most of my files now, bad news is that PSD files that I saved with active layers still freezes the computer when I try to open them, and using memory intensive tools like Background Eraser and Straighten on an image of any size freezes ...

  1. #1

    Default Elements 1 Opens Pics Now, but Still Freezes

    Hi, me again, with the new XP o/s. Thanks BobHill for the reply, no, don't have anything by Norton on my PC, unless XP installed something I haven't found yet. I've followed all of the suggestions I've seen here and at Adobes troubleshooting page relating to my problem and the good news is I can open most of my files now, bad news is that PSD files that I saved with active layers still freezes the computer when I try to open them, and using memory intensive tools like Background Eraser and Straighten on an image of any size freezes also, even 100kb jpgs. If I'm reading Scratch sizes right on the Status bar for an image, it indicates I have plenty of memory, example, on image read 88mb/334mb when it froze while using the Background eraser. I was hoping someone could offer a suggestion other than my worst fear, that I have a faulty memory SIMM. It's the only other thing I can think of since I don't appear to be using enough memory for Elements to use the hard drives for a Scratch disk. Any suggestions would be helpful, and thanks again. BTW, I installed XP under FAT32 until I made sure all my software and files worked. Should I convert to NTFS, people tell me it more reliable and stable. Just curious.
    Kevin Logan Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Elements 1 Opens Pics Now, but Still Freezes

    Kevin,

    Would that be a file size of 334 Mb, 88 Mb if flattened??

    I have been out of town and not read your prior posts, so I'm curious...PSE choked with how much memory in your system?

    Nancy
    Nancy S Guest

  3. #3

    Kevin,

    File attribute isn't 'Read Only' right? Are these images on CDs or one of your hard drives? Are you logged in with an Administrator account, rather than a User account? (presumably you had to install the program using an Administrator account, and the default settings would disallow changes to be made by a 'User', I believe) If you're logged in with a User account, are the files in the 'Shared Doents' folder or did you (as an Admin.)assign priviledges/rights to these files to the 'User'?

    Just some, probably far fetched, possibilities. I am also a very recent convert from Win98 to XP...and I find the complexity level tremendously increased if using both types of accounts for oneself :)

    Nancy
    Nancy S Guest

  4. #4

    Kevin, have you tried pulling memory and then testing? I, too, missed (or have forgotten!) previous posts, so I don't know if you've got enough in there so removal of one piece will still leave you operational. The way you're narrowing the field of possibilities, you might have to take the plunge and try that.

    BTW Nancy, I don't think you need a User set up if you can get by with the Administrator as the only guy on the computer. We didn't add one to our XP Pro.
    Beth Haney Guest

  5. #5

    Beth,

    I'm glad you brought that up...

    I did an "OT" query for how people on this forum who run XP Pro have their accounts set up. All of the six (I think) respondants just use an Administrator account. I find switching continuously between types of accounts VERY tedious, which is why I polled.

    MicroSoft repeatedly stresses the importance of not using an Admin. account for everyday use, especially when connected to the internet. MS cites the increased risk of a hacker gaining control of your system when using the Admin. My original (and present) Accounts configuration was molded by their concerns. However, it is such a pain in the ___, I am about one inch away from trashing my User account and having only one identity 24/7 (that of the Admin). I'm now thinking that my computer time would be more pleasurable with that change and if I fall prey to a malicious person's attack on my computer, hey...though it is a serious drag, a clean install of the OS should put me right again.

    Guess I verbalized that which has been internalized...seems I've made my decision. I've only known one person whose computer was 'vandalized' by a hacker...really not bad odds I'm thinking.

    I'll close, now that I have tempted fate so publicly...fingers crossed behind back :)

    Nancy
    Nancy S Guest

  6. #6

    Nancy, I noticed on another post that you're on DSL now, too. Are you hooked to a router? If so, those have usually got good firewall protection that makes the issue of running as an Admin less scary. I'm not real conversant about that stuff in the Win world, since I only have to keep the dumb things running and don't often use them, but even if Win XP doesn't have something built in, I'm sure you can get firewall protection through software, too. Simplify your life so you can enjoy XP! As a Win system goes (from my admittedly biased position as a Mac lover!) it's really nice, and you shouldn't have to spoil the experience by fighting user accounts! :)
    Beth Haney Guest