Professional Web Applications Themes

Elements 2.0 crashes at startup - Adobe Photoshop Elements

Help please - I am looking to compare elements with PaintShop Pro and whilst I have PSP up and running and it seems to be fine, I wanted to look at the Adobe products for the same job. I don't have enough money for Photoshop CS and so checked out Elements. I am a big fan of the Adobe products, using Premiere regularly for video, but Elements just crashes with a program error on startup. The machine is a P4 2.4GHz with 256MB RAM and running Win2K SP3. Thanks in advance for any advice, Andrew...

  1. #1

    Default Elements 2.0 crashes at startup

    Andrew_Wallace@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Elements 2.0 crashes at startup

    Andrew,

    I think your post means you downloaded a trial version of PSE. Did you have antivirus software disabled when you installed it? It can be picky about that. What does the program error say? Did you mean that while you have PSP open, you are trying to open PSE? If so, does it still crash if PSP is not open?

    Nancy
    Nancy_S@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks for the suggestion - I do have Norton Antivirus installed, but it was disabled for the install of PSE. PSE crashes at the last stage of its program startup, immediately after the startup dialog has disappeared and the main screen and palettes have been displayed. The error message states: "Program Error - PhotoshopElemen.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the program. An error log is being created."
    PSE will crash regardless of whether PSP is started or not. Ironically, I just bought a Canon 300D at the weekend (huge treat) and it came bundled with a real copy of PSE v2.0. So I am now a legitamate customer, but unfortunately the full version still crashes in the same way.
    Another point is that I managed to open the application by dragging an image file onto the PSE desktop icon. PSE started and the image was displayed. I then started to try some of the functions, but PSE crashed shortly afterwards with a similar error message.
    I have checked that the video drivers are up to date. I use an NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 video card.
    Andrew_Wallace@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Do you have a Wacom or other type of tablet installed by any chance?
    Beth_Haney@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Plenty of devices connected, but not a tablet.
    Andrew_Wallace@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Andrew,

    There are many problems with some systems running Elements Trial version due to installed devices. Have you checked to be sure that all devices have up to date drivers? Some of the older graphics cards also used to cause troubles, but that's not so much a problem on newer systems anymore. And the nVidia GeForce certainly should be compatible. Check your Device Manager for yellow or red flags is a good place to start. Unfortunately sometimes it takes more than a disable of Norton to get rid of it's influence over programs (especially Adobe programs on some systems). And with a Trial version, you don't have the option, I don't believe to uninstall and then reinstall it with a clean system (Safe Mode).

    Bob
    BobHill@adobeforums.com Guest