Professional Web Applications Themes

Elements 2 Crashes Constantly! - Adobe Photoshop Elements

Love the program (when it stays up on the screen). Love the book by Scott Kelby. But to work on a photo and have the program freeze, crash or reboot? I am so very frustrated! I would say of the dozen times I've had it open, it has crashed unexpectedly ten of those times. Bad stats! Has this been other people's experience? Year and a half old compaq Presario 700 Athalon 4, 1600 chip. And I update drivers, update drivers, ... Rick Maloch in Houston....

  1. #1

    Default Elements 2 Crashes Constantly!

    Love the program (when it stays up on the screen).

    Love the book by Scott Kelby.

    But to work on a photo and have the program freeze, crash or reboot? I am so very frustrated! I would say of the dozen times I've had it open, it has crashed unexpectedly ten of those times. Bad stats!

    Has this been other people's experience?

    Year and a half old compaq Presario 700 Athalon 4, 1600 chip. And I update drivers, update drivers, ...

    Rick Maloch in Houston.
    Rick Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Elements 2 Crashes Constantly!

    Rick

    How much RAM do you have? That would tell us a lot. Elements is a RAM hungry program.
    Mark Guest

  3. #3

    My laptop is maxed at 256. It's the most it will take.

    rick
    Rick Guest

  4. #4

    I also have an Compaq w/ AMD Athlon 1.4 GHz/256 MB RAM. I was getting crashes daily until I disabled the Photoshop Elements 2\Plug-Ins\Extensions folder. I just renamed the folder to ~Extensions. Apparently these plug-ins are Pentium specific accelerators and make our Athlons crash PE.

    More info in Knowledge Base Article #328567. The article says to just rename one file in the Extensions folder, but someone on this list recommended renaming the Extensions folder itself, so that's what I did. I have not had a crash since!

    Patti
    Patti Guest

  5. #5

    Thanks, Patti so much for your help!

    I truly appreciate your responding. You've made my day!
    Rick Guest

  6. #6

    I tried the renaming gig, but still have a crash every time.

    I tried a quick fix to a photo to change the brightness and 'wham' blue screen, to black, then reboot. Ugh!

    I'm going to unistall, disk defrag and install, then rename to see if this helps. Anyone have anything else to offer?

    I got this version with a Canon SLR digital camera. Could that be the problem?

    Geez, the thought of having to buy a computer just for a software program is incredible!

    rick in houston
    Rick_Maloch@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Rick,

    How many megs are the images you are working with? I'm just wondering if maybe somehow you are mistakenly increasing the number of pixels to an astronomical number which is choking your computer. When I first got the program, I ran with 128 Meg RAM. It didn't work efficiently, but I wasn't crashing, so I think your RAM should be acceptable. (Of course on my new computer with 1 Gig RAM things fly along).
    Nancy_S@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Rick,

    More thoughts...this program requires a large measure of system resources including HD space in which to operate. This free space must be contiguous, therefore I suggest if you haven't defraged lately, do it. Also, when running the program make sure all other programs are closed. In running with 128M RAM, I would routinely go to Edit>Purge>All during my editing session. This does not delete your image, it just frees up the memory for your next move (it does delete your history states however, so run that at a 'satisfied' point in your editing).

    I can understand your frustration and don't want to see you give up on this great program, between all the forum members I think we can get you running without crashing. But make sure your system is in tip top shape, housekeeping wise. Delete those Temp Windows files, Temp Internet Files, Cookies and History too.

    Nancy
    Nancy_S@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Rick,

    Reading Nancy's good advice I remember that when I was using windows (98se)
    on my old computer I would shut down everything by "sys tray" and "explorer"
    freeing system resources.... and it really helped.

    Pete

    Pete_D@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Patti_Anderson@adobeforums.com Guest
    Moderated Post

  11. #11

    Patti, you might try searching for RAM at either crucial.com or datamem.com. Both carry a wide range, and I didn't have any trouble finding what I needed for a Dell Latitude and a Mac PowerBook, both of which are almost three years old. Prices are extremely competitive, and the companies are reliable. I used datamem, and I think others on the forum have used crucial.
    Beth_Haney@adobeforums.com Guest