Professional Web Applications Themes

Elements crashes on startup - Adobe Photoshop Elements

I had installed Elements 1.0.1 about a year ago. Worked fine until I had some memory problems caused by tons of hidden temp files, which have been deleted. I've also since added an additional hard drive. Now Elements crashes during startup. I've tried uninstalling, then reinstalling it on both the C and E drives and it does the same thing. Also, there is one file that Elements won't let you delete, some kind of font file that I suspect may somehow be the cause....

  1. #1

    Default Elements crashes on startup

    Tim_Seaman@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Elements crashes on startup

    Tim, as Elements is loading it displays "tasks". What does the start up screen say at the point at which it crashes?

    People do occasionally report problems with Elements crashing when it gets to "loading fonts". Most often this can be tracked back to either too many fonts installed on the system or to a corrupted font. Since Elements doesn't have any fonts of its own (it loads what's on the system already) you might want to see if you have a) too many, or b) one that's corrupt.

    If you have over 150 to 200 installed, try moving some of them out into a different folder and see if that helps.

    If you have reason to suspect a corrupt font, split the fonts into two groups, test, split again, and keep going until you isolate a bad one. This usually takes longer to describe than to do.
    Beth_Haney@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Beth, It crashes when it gets to "Sorting Fonts". I assume you're talking about the fonts loaded in Windows?
    Tim_Seaman@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Tim, you may have too many fonts; that's been a problem for some in loading
    Elements.

    Chuck_Snyder@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Tim,

    As Chuck indicates, if you have over 150 (or so) fonts installed and active on your system, it bloats your system so in some cases it not only works a lot slower, it can even cause it to crash. If you have text in your image, and you have fonts that are corrupted, then this can also cause file problems and crashes. In some programs (although I'm not so sure in Elements) if you even have corrupted or improperly designed fonts installed, you'll have troubles. To check on the condition of your fonts, (on a PC), to to Control Panel, Fonts and individually double click on each font, one at a time, and it'll display it's look example. If it doesn't display, it's got a problem and either should be reinstalled or deleted from your font library. If you are like many of us, and wish to have many more than 150 fonts installed, I'd suggest you purchase an external font manager (ATM Deluxe or Bitstream's Font Review) which allows you to install thousands of fonts, but also allows you to make custom packs which can be activated or deactivated with a click. This relieves you of the too many fonts problem. I have over 2000 fonts installed on my system, but only keep around 100 active at any one time.

    Bob
    BobHill@adobeforums.com Guest