Professional Web Applications Themes

Elements "pasted inside" change position when parent group is re-sized - Macromedia Freehand

Anyone else have this problem? I've got a fairly complex logo -- all vector elements created in FH (11.01). The group includes several sub-groups, and some nested elements have objects "pasted inside" (i.e., clip path). If I re-size the entire group, the elements that are pasted inside change their relationship to their clip path (parent). Each time I re-size, they move her from their original position inside the clip path, eventually disappearing altogether. The elements don't all move the same direction or the same amount. This is reproducible and very consistent with this particular logo, and has happened before with ...

  1. #1

    Default Elements "pasted inside" change position when parent group is re-sized

    Anyone else have this problem?

    I've got a fairly complex logo -- all vector elements created in FH (11.01). The group includes several sub-groups, and some nested elements have objects "pasted inside" (i.e., clip path). If I re-size the entire group, the elements that are pasted inside change their relationship to their clip path (parent). Each time I re-size, they move her from their original position inside the clip path, eventually disappearing altogether. The elements don't all move the same direction or the same amount.

    This is reproducible and very consistent with this particular logo, and has happened before with other projects and in previous versions of Freehand (8 & 9, at least). Doesn't happen with every complex group, but this is extremely frustrating. In the current case, every time I layout a new piece and re-size the logo, I have to manually move a dozen paths to fix it.

    I'm sure I can export as an EPS and import it back in, but this is one of those basic functions that I expect to work absolutely perfectly in any serious illustration program. Frustrating that it hasn't been addressed previously.

    JohnSplash webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  2. #2

    JohnSplash wrote:
    > I've got a fairly complex logo -- all vector elements created in FH (11.01).
    > The group includes several sub-groups, and some nested elements have objects
    > "pasted inside" (i.e., clip path). If I re-size the entire group, the
    > elements that are pasted inside change their relationship to their clip path
    > (parent). Each time I re-size, they move her from their original position
    > inside the clip path, eventually disappearing altogether. The elements don't
    > all move the same direction or the same amount.
    First, make sure that you have 'contents' selected in the Transform/Scale
    panel.

    If that doesn't solve the problem, is there any chance that you have a live
    envelope on any of the objects? I've seen similar weirdness when trying to
    scale lettering inside a perspective grid envelope.

    Do you have 'transform as unit' turned on for any of the elements at any
    level? It shouldn't cause a problem, but sometimes produces unexpected
    behavior.

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Arndt Guest

  3. #3

    Yes, "contents" is checked. No envelopes.

    Where is "transform as unit"? Seems like I've seen it before, but I can't find it, it's not referenced in the online "manual".

    Thanks for your help.

    JohnSplash webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  4. #4

    Check the settings in the Transform panel. The 'Contents' box needs to
    have a checkmark in it if the objects are to retain their relationship
    with their container when they are resized.
    ______
    Ken
    ellipsis design
    (remove the _xx_'s)
    Ken Kehl Guest

  5. #5

    When you say 'resize', how are you scaling -- with the scale tool, transform
    handles, object inspector or Find & Replace Graphic > Scale?

    I suspect some kind of corruption in your logo. The 'Transform as unit'
    checkbox is in the Object inspector when a group is selected, but I doubt
    that's the issue here unless the info is corrupt. Another source of
    corruption can be faulty 'remember layer info' data attached to groups.

    To clear corruption in existing artwork:
    1. Turn off the prefs 'remember layer info' and 'groups transform as unit by
    default'.

    2. Copy the logo to a new doent.

    3. Cut contents, ungroup groups, split and rejoin composite paths. Reduce
    the number of nested groups. Reduce the number of clipping paths if
    possible.

    4. Put it all back together in FHMXa with new Group and Paste Inside
    commands, not undo's. I think you'll find you can clear up the problems.

    Judy Arndt

    PS: Ken Kehl, good to see your name on the forum again. :-)

    JohnSplash wrote:
    > Yes, "contents" is checked. No envelopes.
    >
    > Where is "transform as unit"? Seems like I've seen it before, but I can't
    > find it, it's not referenced in the online "manual".
    >
    > Thanks for your help.

    Judy Arndt Guest

  6. #6

    JohnSplash, are you still around?

    The recently reported overprint display problem makes me wonder if yours is
    similar problem. Does you logo appear incorrect after scaling in both
    Preview and Fast Preview modes?

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Arndt Guest