Professional Web Applications Themes

email AND usenet client for os X? - Mac Applications & Software

hi there what is the best combined imap email and news groups client for os x? free or under 50 $US would be nice... cheers, leo...

  1. #1

    Default email AND usenet client for os X?

    hi there

    what is the best combined imap email and news groups client for os x?

    free or under 50 $US would be nice...

    cheers, leo

    Leo Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: email AND usenet client for os X?

    Unfortunatly it's Microsoft's Entourage. Don't know if it's available
    as a "stand alone"
    DD

    On Tue, 9 Sep 2003 15:39:14 +1000, "Leo"

    David Guest

  3. #3

    In article <bjjp1a$g2b$netspace.net.au>,
    "Leo" <isys.com.au> wrote:

    Mozilla. Brower, email and usenet. And IRC.

    Free.
    --
    Cheers,
    _Chas_

  4. #4

    In article <bjjp1a$g2b$netspace.net.au>, Leo wrote:

    gnus, if you absolutely insist on combining them.

    tristero Guest

  5. #5

    "Leo" <isys.com.au> writes:

    As far as I know, there are only three (really, two) programs
    which are both e-mail _and_ newsgroup readers in one:

    Entourage
    Mozilla/Netscape
    Thunderbird (which is the stand-alone version of the ones in Mozilla)

    Well, and there is also emacs/gnus, which is already on your computer...

    The last two are free.

    As far as "best", that'll be up to you to judge.

    I've never found a gui-based newsreader that I could stand at all,
    so I use gnus for both mail and news, but I also use Mail.app
    and am starting to use Thunderbird for mail, too.

    Thanks to IMAP, I can use all these mail clients simultaneously.

    No HTML in E-Mail! -- http://www.expita.com/nomime.html
    BreadWithSpam@fractious.net Guest

  6. #6

    <net> wrote:

    there's also MacSOUP

    --
    Georg Schwarz http://home.pages.de/~schwarz/
    de +49 177 8811442

  7. #7

    mmmh, i'm using mozilla at the moment, and it's imap support is ok, but all
    in all its a tad slow, quite big and sedate...

    cheers,leo

    "Charles Martin" <org> wrote in message

    > Mozilla. Brower, email and usenet. And IRC.
    >
    > Free.
    > --
    > Cheers,
    > _Chas_
    > http://www.apple.com/switch
    > non-spammers can write to chasm at mac (dot com)[/ref]

    Leo Guest

  8. #8

    well, i do not insist of combining them (if i find quick and responsive
    stane alone apps), but it feels quite natural to do both in one, doesn't it?

    i guess i should give gnus a go... (i love emacs for years, and i use the
    aqua version on my new imac, but i thought: with this wunderful GUI apple
    provides, i don't want to do EVERYTHING in a text based windows...)

    cheers, leo

    "tristero" <net> wrote in message

    > gnus, if you absolutely insist on combining them.
    >[/ref]

    Leo Guest

  9. #9

    <net> wrote in message

    well, if there would be something like a free entourage....

    yep, yep tried: as i posted: quite slow...

    well, description was VERY appealing to me: only tried on windows so far:
    seems to be a bit buggy (thread collapsing/exapnding???) and similar
    unresponsive as mozilla. (at least on an old winpc with not too much
    memory...

    yep, IMAP is great!

    cheers, leo

    Leo Guest

  10. #10

    In article <bjm17m$148h$netspace.net.au>, Leo wrote:

    Your call, of course. But sometimes what feels 'natural' is just
    what you've gotten used to - no more, no less.

    The thing about news is that any given person usually only wants to
    look at a small minority of articles on any given group, even after
    filtering out the total junk. The best news clients make this process
    as fast as possible. Another thing about news is that it's
    essentially organized for you in advance by the usenet hierarchy. And
    almost no articles want to be saved long term, or printed, or
    otherwise kept in some form.

    Mail is different in all these regards, and is also far more likely to
    have gui requirements, given that lots of people can't seem to stop
    themselves from sending rich-text or html email.

    For me the two have different requirements for these reasons, and I
    wouldn't want to use the same client for both.

    If you're looking for 'quick' and given that you're comfortable with
    the unix world, I strongly recommend you use one of the pure text
    command-line news readers. My choice is slrn, but there are several
    others (trn etc). Combined with carbon-emacs for composition, this is
    the ideal way to deal with news imo -- _much_ more efficient than any
    gui client and also faster than gnus (which is very nice but too slow
    for me). It has the added benefit of being usable when you're
    connected remotely (gnus has this advantage too of course).

    Once you have a good way to read news, you can use Mail.app for email.
    You'll hear complaints about it here, but the complaining is just what
    some people do. It's an excellent application overall, very nicely
    designed.

    For reading mail remotely I would ordinarily recommend the emacs mail
    client VM. But you specifically mentioned imap and VM's imap support
    isn't the best. I use pop so that's not an issue for me. As a pop
    client, VM is just great - fast and featureful. For imap, there's
    mutt and pine and such things, but I don't have much experience with
    any of them.

    News reading really is a text experience, for the most part. Mail
    reading, a little less so but still heavily textutal. Gui clients
    aren't always the most effective way to go.

    tristero Guest

  11. #11

    tristero <net> writes:

    > as fast as possible. Another thing about news is that it's
    > essentially organized for you in advance by the usenet hierarchy. And
    >
    > Mail is different in all these regards, and is also far more likely to[/ref]

    Actually, mail folders look an awful lot like newsgroups.
    The main difference is that articles in newsgroups expire
    on their own and mail should never "expire" or go away
    unless you explicitly tell it do delete it. Showing or
    hiding read versus unread messages is quite similar...

    The problem with a pop-based mail reader is that it pretty
    much ties you into that specific program and a specific
    local archive. IMAP lets one use any of several mail apps
    all at the same time on the same mail repository.

    Gnus has absolutely excellent IMAP support...
     [/ref]

    Hah. If you use gnus and imap you get the best of both worlds,
    since you can still point Mail.app (or Thunderbird or Powermail
    or whatever) at the same IMAP repository.

    Now, to stop the idiots at Hotmail (not necessarily the users,
    who should have to know better, but the programmers/managers
    who made the decision) from sending HTML-only with no plaintext
    alternative in their messages.

  12. #12

    In article <panix.com>,
    net wrote:

    It does, but VM is a better mail reader overall. And as soon as Kyle
    gets around to it, VM will be just as good at imap as it already is at
    pop. As for the supposed philosphical advantages of imap over pop,
    I've never found those arguments at all convincing. Ymmv.

    It's the best compromise if it's important to you to read mail and
    news with one client. But it's neither the best mail reader nor the
    best news reader. For instance it's _much_ slower than slrn.
    Compromises are like that. They're never "the best of both worlds".

    tristero Guest

  13. #13

    tristero <net> writes:

    > It's the best compromise if it's important to you to read mail and
    > news with one client. But it's neither the best mail reader nor the[/ref]

    Actually, I couldn't care less whether it were one client or not.

    Even before I read mail with gnus - and there was a long time
    during which I used RMAIL, and before that a much older and
    long since gone version of vm.

    The main thing for me is that they're both inside of emacs,
    rather than, like slrn, calling emacs separately to edit messages.

    I find myself constantly copying, editing, pulling up a shell
    buffer, etc.

    Might be worth a look at what vm's become.

    At least I think it was an ancient vm. It's been something like
    8 or 10 years since I started using RMAIL and maybe 2 since I
    started using gnus/imap.

    Again, though, given IMAP, the mail program is secondary, since
    there's no locking in - I use webmail, Mail.app, gnus, and have even
    been playing with Thunderbird -- all on more than one machine.

    I know lots of folks really love slrn, though. I never liked
    rn, nor any derivatives of it. I used to use nn before gnus.

  14. #14

    one thing why both things still are quite connected:

    many newsgroups groups are in modern times presented as mailing lists: yahoo
    groups and even applescript is a mailing list and not (what i reckon it
    should) be a newsgroup.

    but thanks for all the very interesting thoughts!

    > Your call, of course. But sometimes what feels 'natural' is just
    > what you've gotten used to - no more, no less.
    >
    > The thing about news is that any given person usually only wants to
    > look at a small minority of articles on any given group, even after
    > filtering out the total junk. The best news clients make this process
    > as fast as possible. Another thing about news is that it's
    > essentially organized for you in advance by the usenet hierarchy. And
    > almost no articles want to be saved long term, or printed, or
    > otherwise kept in some form.
    >
    > Mail is different in all these regards, and is also far more likely to
    > have gui requirements, given that lots of people can't seem to stop
    > themselves from sending rich-text or html email.
    >

    > For me the two have different requirements for these reasons, and I
    > wouldn't want to use the same client for both.
    >

    > If you're looking for 'quick' and given that you're comfortable with
    > the unix world, I strongly recommend you use one of the pure text
    > command-line news readers. My choice is slrn, but there are several
    > others (trn etc). Combined with carbon-emacs for composition, this is
    > the ideal way to deal with news imo -- _much_ more efficient than any
    > gui client and also faster than gnus (which is very nice but too slow
    > for me). It has the added benefit of being usable when you're
    > connected remotely (gnus has this advantage too of course).
    >
    > Once you have a good way to read news, you can use Mail.app for email.
    > You'll hear complaints about it here, but the complaining is just what
    > some people do. It's an excellent application overall, very nicely
    > designed.
    >
    > For reading mail remotely I would ordinarily recommend the emacs mail
    > client VM. But you specifically mentioned imap and VM's imap support
    > isn't the best. I use pop so that's not an issue for me. As a pop
    > client, VM is just great - fast and featureful. For imap, there's
    > mutt and pine and such things, but I don't have much experience with
    > any of them.
    >
    > [/ref]
    the [/ref]
    apple

    > News reading really is a text experience, for the most part. Mail
    > reading, a little less so but still heavily textutal. Gui clients
    > aren't always the most effective way to go.
    >

    >[/ref]

    Leo Guest

  15. #15

    tristero <net> writes:

    > It does, but VM is a better mail reader overall. And as soon as Kyle
    > gets around to it, VM will be just as good at imap as it already is at
    > pop.[/ref]

    Tristero, do you mean that Kyle has plans to make VM into a
    fully-capable IMAP client? I, for one, would really like this.

    I like VM better than Gnus for mail; it's great for POP and local
    spools. However, VM's IMAP support is currently not very good, and so
    I use Gnus instead.

    Andrew.
    Andrew Guest