Professional Web Applications Themes

Email client got zapped? - Ubuntu

Hi all, I have a friend who was using Ubuntu 5.04 on a pc clone. He was in Evolution downloading on dialup a big email message that had some type of sound/video content when it crashed. Now Evolution gives him an IO error when he tries to use it. Saving emails is not a concern. What should he do to get his email client working again? Will uninstall/ reinstall do the trick of just Evolution? I know wiping the whole thing and reinstalling from scatch will work but that is rather drastic. Sorry, Windows influence. Would Synaptic do everything he ...

  1. #1

    Default Email client got zapped?

    Hi all,

    I have a friend who was using Ubuntu 5.04 on a pc clone.
    He was in Evolution downloading on dialup a big email
    message that had some type of sound/video content when
    it crashed. Now Evolution gives him an IO error when he
    tries to use it. Saving emails is not a concern. What should
    he do to get his email client working again? Will uninstall/
    reinstall do the trick of just Evolution? I know wiping the
    whole thing and reinstalling from scatch will work but that
    is rather drastic. Sorry, Windows influence. Would
    Synaptic do everything he needs to do? He likes
    Ubuntu ever since it was installed and it has been working
    fine except for this one incident.

    thanks,
    charles....

    ***** charles Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Email client got zapped?

    * ***** charles wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    > Hi all,
    > I have a friend who was using Ubuntu 5.04 on a pc clone.
    > He was in Evolution downloading on dialup a big email
    > message that had some type of sound/video content when
    > it crashed. Now Evolution gives him an IO error when he
    > tries to use it. Saving emails is not a concern. What should
    > he do to get his email client working again? Will uninstall/
    > reinstall do the trick of just Evolution? I know wiping the
    > whole thing and reinstalling from scatch will work but that
    > is rather drastic. Sorry, Windows influence. Would
    > Synaptic do everything he needs to do?
    You are still thinking windows.
    > He likes
    > Ubuntu ever since it was installed and it has been working
    > fine except for this one incident.
    Try renaming

    ~/.evolution/mail

    If that doesn't work try renaming ~/.evolution

    --
    David
    < sam> /.ing an issue is like asking an infinite number of monkeys for

  3. #3

    On 2006-02-03, ***** charles <shultzjrXsbcglobal.net> wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have a friend who was using Ubuntu 5.04 on a pc clone.
    > He was in Evolution downloading on dialup a big email
    > message that had some type of sound/video content when
    > it crashed. Now Evolution gives him an IO error when he
    > tries to use it. Saving emails is not a concern. What should
    > he do to get his email client working again? Will uninstall/
    > reinstall do the trick of just Evolution? I know wiping the
    > whole thing and reinstalling from scatch will work but that
    > is rather drastic. Sorry, Windows influence. Would
    > Synaptic do everything he needs to do? He likes
    > Ubuntu ever since it was installed and it has been working
    > fine except for this one incident.
    The answer is "it depends". Most helpful would be the error message not
    just "an IO error". How he gets his mail is also important. IMAP? POP3?
    Something else?

    POP3 (IIRC) locks your mail file on the server so it cannot be changed
    during download. If you suffer a crash or disconnect, the server doesn't
    get the signal to unlock the file. So the "poplock" file will remain until
    there is a timeout. In addition, if the file is particularly larerge, it
    will corrupt the mail file and make it impossible to download the large
    file. (One more reason not to send large attachments via e-mail.) The only
    way to deal with this is to use software that can download the headers and
    delete the e-mail on the server without downloading.

    --
    Seth H Holmes
    Seth H Holmes Guest

  4. #4

    On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 01:19:10 +0000, SINNER wrote:
    > * ***** charles wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    >> Hi all,
    >
    >> I have a friend who was using Ubuntu 5.04 on a pc clone. He was in
    >> Evolution downloading on dialup a big email message that had some type
    >> of sound/video content when it crashed. Now Evolution gives him an IO
    >> error when he tries to use it. Saving emails is not a concern. What
    >> should he do to get his email client working again? Will uninstall/
    >> reinstall do the trick of just Evolution? I know wiping the whole thing
    >> and reinstalling from scatch will work but that is rather drastic.
    >> Sorry, Windows influence. Would Synaptic do everything he needs to do?
    >
    > You are still thinking windows.
    >
    >> He likes
    >> Ubuntu ever since it was installed and it has been working fine except
    >> for this one incident.
    >
    > Try renaming
    >
    > ~/.evolution/mail
    >
    > If that doesn't work try renaming ~/.evolution
    I second this approach. Most likely Evolution itself isn't hosed, just
    his mbox is or something happened to his account settings. He can open a
    shell and type:

    mv .evolution/mail .evolution/mail.old

    Then restart Evolution. If he gets the same error...
    mv .evolution .evolution.old

    and restart. By then all his settings have changed. If the problem
    persists then try:
    sudo apt-get remove evolution
    sudo apt-get install evolution

    By then everything to do with his email will have been renewed.

    Chuck

    Chuck Guest

  5. #5

    On 2006-02-05, Chuck <chuckspamcop.invalid> wrote:
    > I second this approach. Most likely Evolution itself isn't hosed, just
    > his mbox is or something happened to his account settings. He can open a
    > shell and type:
    >
    > mv .evolution/mail .evolution/mail.old
    >
    > Then restart Evolution. If he gets the same error...
    > mv .evolution .evolution.old
    >
    > and restart. By then all his settings have changed. If the problem
    > persists then try:
    > sudo apt-get remove evolution
    > sudo apt-get install evolution
    >
    > By then everything to do with his email will have been renewed.
    Except that the problem likely resides on the e-mail server, not on the
    client. This won't help. It's a problem that can only be resolved on the
    server side and has, by now, likely resolved itself.

    --
    Seth H Holmes
    Seth H Holmes Guest

  6. #6

    * Seth H Holmes wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    > On 2006-02-05, Chuck <chuckspamcop.invalid> wrote:
    >> I second this approach. Most likely Evolution itself isn't hosed, just
    >> his mbox is or something happened to his account settings. He can open a
    >> shell and type:
    >> mv .evolution/mail .evolution/mail.old
    >> Then restart Evolution. If he gets the same error...
    >> mv .evolution .evolution.old
    >> and restart. By then all his settings have changed. If the problem
    >> persists then try:
    >> sudo apt-get remove evolution
    >> sudo apt-get install evolution
    >> By then everything to do with his email will have been renewed.
    > Except that the problem likely resides on the e-mail server, not on the
    > client. This won't help. It's a problem that can only be resolved on the
    > server side and has, by now, likely resolved itself.
    And how pray tell did you come to this conclusion? The OP says
    Evolution crashes whenever he uses it. Evolution does not connect upon
    startup by default so it stands to reason that if it crashes on startup
    that it is indeed a local issue.

    --
    David
    Eloquence is logic on fire.

  7. #7

    On 2006-02-08, SINNER <99nesorjdgates_of_hell.invalid> wrote:
    >> Except that the problem likely resides on the e-mail server, not on the
    >> client. This won't help. It's a problem that can only be resolved on the
    >> server side and has, by now, likely resolved itself.
    >
    > And how pray tell did you come to this conclusion? The OP says
    > Evolution crashes whenever he uses it. Evolution does not connect upon
    > startup by default so it stands to reason that if it crashes on startup
    > that it is indeed a local issue.
    The problem and resolution *I* was describing revolving around POP3 servers
    is the issue to which I'm referring to. It is possible that evolution is
    "crashing" because of the issue. I'm offering a hypothesis, but along with
    that hypothesis comes certain givens. One of those is an issue which would
    have a) been on the server and b) would have resolved itself given time.

    --
    Seth H Holmes
    Seth H Holmes Guest

  8. #8

    * Seth H Holmes wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    > On 2006-02-08, SINNER <99nesorjdgates_of_hell.invalid> wrote:
    >
    >>> Except that the problem likely resides on the e-mail server, not on
    >>> the client. This won't help. It's a problem that can only be
    >>> resolved on the server side and has, by now, likely resolved itself.
    >>
    >> And how pray tell did you come to this conclusion? The OP says
    >> Evolution crashes whenever he uses it. Evolution does not connect
    >> upon startup by default so it stands to reason that if it crashes on
    >> startup that it is indeed a local issue.
    >
    > The problem and resolution *I* was describing revolving around POP3
    > servers is the issue to which I'm referring to. It is possible that
    > evolution is "crashing" because of the issue. I'm offering a
    > hypothesis, but along with that hypothesis comes certain givens. One
    > of those is an issue which would have a) been on the server and b)
    > would have resolved itself given time.

    Your previous post, quoted above states "Except that the problem likely
    resides on the e-mail server..." and my question to you, quoted above,
    asks how you came to the conclusion that the problem likely resides on
    the server? There is hardly enough information in the OP to make that
    statement but the info that was given certainly does suggest a local
    problem as it seems to be when the app starts but even that is not
    clearly stated in the OP.

    --
    David
    SINNER Guest

  9. #9

    "SINNER" <arcade.master> wrote in message
    news:Xns97659B5C51F3louiscypherhellorg140.99.99.1 30...
    > * Seth H Holmes wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    > >> And how pray tell did you come to this conclusion? The OP says
    > >> Evolution crashes whenever he uses it. Evolution does not connect
    > >> upon startup by default so it stands to reason that if it crashes on
    > >> startup that it is indeed a local issue.
    > >
    > > The problem and resolution *I* was describing revolving around POP3
    > > servers is the issue to which I'm referring to. It is possible that
    > > evolution is "crashing" because of the issue. I'm offering a
    > > hypothesis, but along with that hypothesis comes certain givens. One
    > > of those is an issue which would have a) been on the server and b)
    > > would have resolved itself given time.
    > >

    > Your previous post, quoted above states "Except that the problem likely
    > resides on the e-mail server..." and my question to you, quoted above,
    > asks how you came to the conclusion that the problem likely resides on
    > the server? There is hardly enough information in the OP to make that
    > statement but the info that was given certainly does suggest a local
    > problem as it seems to be when the app starts but even that is not
    > clearly stated in the OP.
    >
    > --
    > David
    First, thanks for all the postings and second I called tech support
    for the email server and had him delete all the emails that were
    in my account. After that, the "crashes" stopped and I can get
    my emails properly. Must have been a corrupted file in by inbox
    on the email server.

    thanks again,
    charles.....

    ***** charles Guest

  10. #10

    On 2006-02-10, ***** charles <shultzjrXsbcglobal.net> wrote:
    > "SINNER" <arcade.master> wrote in message
    > news:Xns97659B5C51F3louiscypherhellorg140.99.99.1 30...
    >> * Seth H Holmes wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    >> > The problem and resolution *I* was describing revolving around POP3
    >> > servers is the issue to which I'm referring to. It is possible that
    >> > evolution is "crashing" because of the issue. I'm offering a
    >> > hypothesis, but along with that hypothesis comes certain givens. One
    >> > of those is an issue which would have a) been on the server and b)
    >> > would have resolved itself given time.
    >> >

    >> Your previous post, quoted above states "Except that the problem likely
    >> resides on the e-mail server..." and my question to you, quoted above,
    >> asks how you came to the conclusion that the problem likely resides on
    >> the server? There is hardly enough information in the OP to make that
    >> statement but the info that was given certainly does suggest a local
    >> problem as it seems to be when the app starts but even that is not
    >> clearly stated in the OP.
    >>
    >> --
    >> David
    >
    > First, thanks for all the postings and second I called tech support
    > for the email server and had him delete all the emails that were
    > in my account. After that, the "crashes" stopped and I can get
    > my emails properly. Must have been a corrupted file in by inbox
    > on the email server.
    >
    > thanks again,
    > charles.....
    David,

    To answer your question, "experience." Since I've seen enough problems
    described as Charles as described them, the logical conclusion for me was a
    server issue. Turns out I was right too. I spent *mumble* years
    troubleshooting just such issues which made it obvious, to me, the problem
    was likely on the server. It's just the symptoms leading to the root cause.
    Wish I could be more helpful in describing the hows and whys, but I can't
    at this point. It's just become instinct.

    --
    Seth H Holmes
    Seth H Holmes Guest