Professional Web Applications Themes

Email Newsletter is too tiny - Web Design

After finishing an email newsletter and sending it to myself, I noticed that the whole thing was a bit small and hard to read. It looked much better in Publisher, prior to sending. How does one make it so you don't need glasses to read it?...

  1. #1

    Default Email Newsletter is too tiny

    After finishing an email newsletter and sending it to myself, I noticed that
    the whole thing was a bit small and hard to read.

    It looked much better in Publisher, prior to sending.

    How does one make it so you don't need glasses to read it?
    oezio Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Email Newsletter is too tiny

    The way I do it is convert the newsletter into a pdf format and send it as
    an attachment.

    This will require you to have a pdf creating program i.e., Adobe Acrobat or
    a lesser costing program i.e., Primopdf (free) or PDF-XChange (3 versions,
    $20 - $70).

    www.Primopdf.com

    www.docu-track.com

    --
    Don
    Vancouver, USA

    "oezio" <microsoft.com> wrote in message
    that

    Don Guest

  3. #3

    What's the point of having Publisher if it can't do what you need it to do?
    Everyone here recommends PDF... maybe we should all go to Adobe Products
    instead of Microsoft?

    The point here is that I got what I want, but not the right size. Anyone
    know how to make it bigger when you go from Publisher to an email? Without
    all that extra space to the right of it?

    Thanks in advance.

    "Don Schmidt" wrote:

    > that
    >

    >[/ref]
    oezio Guest

  4. #4

    I've seen emails created with Publisher and they are just fine. My
    assumption is that something in your setting need to be changed.

    I'll be honest with you. I use Publisher to create my newsletters and then
    create a .pdf file from that. I don't send HTML emails because not everyone
    is set up to accept them.

    --
    JoAnn Paules
    MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

    >> that
    >>

    >>[/ref][/ref]

    JoAnn Guest

  5. #5

    While I don't disagree that some are not set up for HTML emails, the same is
    true of PDF files. Nor am I arguing against some of the advantages of PDF
    files. However, the Adobe Reader download is large, especially for dial-up
    modems, and many of my clients are too intimidated by the idea of
    downloading and installing the Reader to do it. You might say that most
    computers come with the Reader, but at the least Dell computers don't. I
    suspect that more people can handle HTML emails than PDF files with their
    original setup. Just my two cents worth...

    DavidF

    "JoAnn Paules" <com> wrote in message
    everyone [/ref]
    Anyone [/ref][/ref]
    Acrobat [/ref][/ref]
    noticed [/ref]

    >[/ref]

    DavidF Guest

  6. #6

    Have you tried increasing the size of your fonts? When Pub files are
    converted to HTML, I have observed that fonts do not have the same
    incremental sizing available as in print doents. A size 11 font can be
    reduced to a size 10 for example. If you are using size 10, which my
    oldererer eyes find hard to read, try 12. If you are using autofit, then
    perhaps switch to a fixed font size. Yes, it might require some tweaking of
    your text boxes, but it will be easier to read.

    DavidF

    "oezio" <microsoft.com> wrote in message
    that

    DavidF Guest

  7. #7

    Another thought... While I have not converted a newsletter to HTML, I
    presume many of the issues are the same as creating a web page. When you
    convert a print doent to HTML for a web page, if a text box is
    overlapping any other element it is converted to an image, which renders the
    text less legible. Try right clicking the text on your converted newsletter
    to see if you get the option of saving as a picture. And even if you don't
    have any elements overlapping the text box, in Pub 2002 and 2003, I believe
    that if you use borders or fill colors, the text box is converted to an
    image. I can't test it as I use Pub 2000, but it is also possible that when
    you convert your newsletter to HTML and email it, that the whole doent is
    automatically converted to an image.

    DavidF

    "oezio" <microsoft.com> wrote in message
    that

    DavidF Guest

  8. #8

    Not arguing, just asking when Dell stopped doing that?

    I deal with novices - serious computer novices. If I ask them if they can
    read a .pdf file they know what I mean. If I ask them about HTML emails, I'd
    get that deer-caught-in-the-headlamps look.

    And yes, the Reader file is big. I have the downloaded file for v7 on my
    desktop so that I can put it on a disc and install it where needed. It's a
    tad bit over 19MB. I've only had broadband for about a year and half. I
    remember 20 minute download times for a Norton update of ~3MB. (Makes me
    laugh sometimes how much my computer has changed in that time. No dial-up,
    no AOL, no Norton - 19MB downloads are not an issue for me.)

    Isn't it cool tho that we aren't locked into just one way to do things? That
    is the one lesson about computers that doesn't seem to have changed over the
    years. That, and to respect everyone's 2 worth. :-)

    --
    JoAnn Paules
    MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

    "DavidF" <com> wrote in message
    > everyone [/ref]
    > Anyone [/ref]
    > Acrobat [/ref]
    > noticed
    >>
    >>[/ref]
    >
    >[/ref]

    JoAnn Guest

  9. #9

    I bought a Dell laptop about 3 years ago, and a desktop about a year ago.
    Neither had the Reader. I don't know about other companies, but given Dell
    is the largest and doesn't, one cannot assume the Reader comes installed.

    Your novices may not know what HTML means, but doesn't Outlook Express and
    Outlook come with HTML as the default? And if it isn't, its easy to tell
    people how to activate. They may have changed that with the new patches and
    security concerns. And AOL...who cares ;-) just kidding.

    My point was partially to say, that switching to PDF format has its own
    issues, and the OP had a point...instead of immediately suggesting to switch
    to PDF, perhaps one should at least try to offer a solution for using
    Publisher. I have the same issue with immediately suggesting switching to
    FrontPage. After all, this is a Publisher forum...and errrr...you do use the
    Publisher MVP title.

    I have broadband at the office for large files, but save some money by using
    dial-up at my home office, and it takes about 6 minutes per megabyte which
    makes that 19 meg file more than an hour and a half download! I sometimes
    use EFAX with the built in viewer instead of PDF. The file size is similar
    to PDF, the viewer only adds about 250 kb to the file, and it is self
    executing...much easier for computer novice clients. Mostly, I convert to
    HTML, post to my website, and send a link...easiest of all.

    Now I am up to 4 cents worth...DavidF

    "JoAnn Paules" <com> wrote in message
    I'd
    That
    the [/ref]
    same [/ref]
    PDF [/ref]
    dial-up [/ref]
    their
    > > everyone [/ref][/ref]
    > > Anyone
    > > Acrobat
    > > noticed
    > >
    > >[/ref]
    >
    >[/ref]

    DavidF Guest

  10. #10

    I fold - the stakes are too rich for my blood. ;-)

    --
    JoAnn Paules
    MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

    "DavidF" <com> wrote in message
    (snip)

    JoAnn Guest

  11. #11

    I don't adhere using Publisher for the final doent in an e-mail
    newsletter for one gigantic reason.

    Publisher creates humongous files and the sender will experience many
    bounced mails due to size or the receiver's mail box is full.

    This is one of the reasons I use PDF-XChange for it creates the smallest pdf
    file of any pdf creating program on the market today, including Adobe
    Acrobat.

    --
    Don
    Vancouver, USA

    "DavidF" <com> wrote in message
    and
    switch
    the
    using [/ref]
    can
    > I'd [/ref]
    a [/ref]
    dial-up,
    > That
    > the [/ref]
    > same [/ref]
    > PDF [/ref]
    > dial-up [/ref][/ref]
    most [/ref][/ref]
    I [/ref]
    > their [/ref][/ref]
    it [/ref][/ref]
    send

    > >[/ref]
    >
    >[/ref]

    Don Guest

  12. #12

    And that's a total of 6 cents...maybe a dime.

    DavidF

    "Don Schmidt" <telco> wrote in message
    pdf [/ref]
    ago. [/ref]
    Dell [/ref]
    installed. [/ref]
    and
    > and
    > switch [/ref]
    > the
    > using [/ref]
    which [/ref]
    sometimes [/ref]
    similar [/ref]
    to [/ref]
    > can [/ref][/ref]
    emails, [/ref][/ref]
    my [/ref][/ref]
    It's [/ref][/ref]
    I [/ref][/ref]
    me [/ref]
    > dial-up, [/ref][/ref]
    things? [/ref][/ref]
    over
    > > same [/ref][/ref]
    of
    > > dial-up [/ref]
    > most [/ref][/ref]
    don't.
    > > their [/ref][/ref]
    and [/ref]
    > it [/ref][/ref]
    email? [/ref]
    > send [/ref][/ref]

    > >[/ref]
    >
    >[/ref]

    DavidF Guest

  13. #13

    Thank you all... good leads. I think I like the idea of sending a link to a
    webpage the most... that is once it is big enough. Will work on the
    tweaks... much appreciated.

    "DavidF" wrote:

    > that
    >

    >[/ref]
    oezio Guest

  14. #14

    But those six cents are all 1909-s vdb pennies, mint condition. <G>

    --
    Don
    Vancouver, USA

    "DavidF" <com> wrote in message
    > pdf [/ref]
    > ago. [/ref]
    > Dell [/ref]
    > installed. [/ref]
    > and [/ref][/ref]
    tell [/ref][/ref]
    patches [/ref][/ref]
    own
    > > switch [/ref]
    > to [/ref][/ref]
    use
    > > using [/ref]
    > which [/ref]
    > sometimes [/ref]
    > similar [/ref]
    > to [/ref][/ref]
    they [/ref]
    > emails, [/ref][/ref]
    on [/ref]
    > It's [/ref][/ref]
    half. [/ref][/ref]
    (Makes
    > > dial-up, [/ref]
    > things? [/ref]
    > over [/ref][/ref]
    the [/ref]
    > of
    > > most [/ref]
    > don't. [/ref][/ref]
    with [/ref][/ref]
    My [/ref]
    > and [/ref][/ref]
    not [/ref][/ref]
    need [/ref][/ref]
    size. [/ref]
    > email? [/ref][/ref]
    and [/ref][/ref]
    Adobe [/ref][/ref]
    (3 [/ref][/ref]
    myself,

    > >[/ref]
    >
    >[/ref]

    Don Guest

  15. #15

    The simple answer to everyone's compatibility pains is the simple
    methodology of "kiss" - keep it simple stupid. So use plain text
    newsletters. That's my 2 bits worth.

    David Bartosik - [MSFT MVP]
    http://www.publishermvps.com
    http://www.davidbartosik.com

    David Guest

  16. #16

    Ah, another penny collector. I do have a 1909 vdb...no s unfortunately. All
    my pennies were collected about 40 years ago. But obviously your six cents
    worth is worth more than mine. };>)

    DavidF

    "Don Schmidt" <telco> wrote in message
    news:supernews.com... [/ref][/ref]
    smallest
    > > ago. [/ref][/ref]
    given
    > > installed. [/ref][/ref]
    Express [/ref]
    > tell [/ref]
    > patches [/ref]
    > own [/ref][/ref]
    to [/ref][/ref]
    using [/ref][/ref]
    switching [/ref]
    > use [/ref][/ref]
    by
    > > which
    > > sometimes
    > > similar [/ref][/ref]
    self [/ref][/ref]
    convert [/ref]
    > they
    > > emails, [/ref]
    > on [/ref][/ref]
    needed. [/ref]
    > half. [/ref]
    > (Makes
    > > things? [/ref][/ref]
    changed [/ref]
    > the [/ref][/ref]
    advantages [/ref][/ref]
    for [/ref][/ref]
    of [/ref][/ref]
    that
    > > don't. [/ref]
    > with [/ref]
    > My [/ref][/ref]
    changed. [/ref][/ref]
    newsletters [/ref]
    > not [/ref]
    > need [/ref][/ref]
    Adobe [/ref]
    > size.
    > > email? [/ref]
    > and [/ref]
    > Adobe [/ref][/ref]
    PDF-XChange [/ref]
    > myself,
    > >
    > >[/ref]
    >
    >[/ref]

    DavidF Guest

  17. #17

    And your 2 bits worth is worth more than a buck eight ninety of mine...;-)

    DavidF

    "David Bartosik [MSFT MVP]" <nospam.com> wrote in
    message news:phx.gbl...

    DavidF Guest

  18. #18

    I started collecting coins when I was about 12, some 61 years ago when I
    found in change a 1909-s vdb..... I thought.
    About ten years ago I sold all my coins to a local dealer and when he put
    the 1909-s vdb penny under a 70 power microscope what was clearly visible
    was where someone scooped copper from the surface forming the "s". The
    dealer didn't want it. Gave the penny away some weeks later.

    --
    Don
    Vancouver, USA

    "DavidF" <com> wrote in message
    All [/ref][/ref]
    many [/ref]
    > smallest [/ref][/ref]
    Adobe [/ref][/ref]
    year [/ref]
    > given [/ref]
    > Express [/ref][/ref]
    > > patches [/ref][/ref]
    its [/ref]
    > to [/ref]
    > using [/ref]
    > switching [/ref][/ref]
    do [/ref][/ref]
    money [/ref][/ref]
    megabyte [/ref]
    > self [/ref]
    > convert
    > > they [/ref][/ref]
    v7 [/ref]
    > needed.
    > > half.
    > > (Makes [/ref][/ref]
    No [/ref]
    > changed [/ref][/ref]
    emails, [/ref]
    > advantages [/ref]
    > for [/ref]
    > of [/ref]
    > that [/ref][/ref]
    computers
    > > with [/ref][/ref]
    fine. [/ref]
    > changed. [/ref]
    > newsletters [/ref][/ref]
    because [/ref][/ref]
    you [/ref]
    > Adobe
    > > size. [/ref][/ref]
    format
    > > Adobe [/ref]
    > PDF-XChange
    > > myself, [/ref][/ref]
    it?

    > >[/ref]
    >
    >[/ref]

    Don Guest

  19. #19

    73! That makes you the sharpest crayon in the box. There aren't too many of
    your generation that knows as much about computers as you do.

    > All [/ref]
    cents [/ref]
    > many
    > > smallest [/ref]
    > Adobe [/ref]
    > year
    > > given
    > > Express [/ref]
    > to [/ref]
    > its [/ref][/ref]
    suggesting
    > > using
    > > switching [/ref][/ref]
    errrr...you [/ref]
    > money [/ref]
    > megabyte [/ref][/ref]
    is
    > > self
    > > convert [/ref][/ref]
    if [/ref][/ref]
    HTML [/ref][/ref]
    for
    > > needed. [/ref][/ref]
    and [/ref]
    > No [/ref][/ref]
    do
    > > changed [/ref]
    > emails,
    > > advantages [/ref][/ref]
    especially [/ref][/ref]
    idea [/ref][/ref]
    say [/ref]
    > computers [/ref][/ref]
    files [/ref]
    > fine.
    > > changed.
    > > newsletters [/ref]
    > because [/ref]
    > you
    > > Adobe [/ref][/ref]
    right [/ref][/ref]
    an [/ref]
    > format [/ref][/ref]
    i.e.,
    > > PDF-XChange [/ref][/ref]
    message [/ref][/ref]
    news:com... [/ref]
    > it?
    > >
    > >[/ref]
    >
    >[/ref]

    DavidF Guest

  20. #20

    I wouldn't object to using the word genius. <G>

    'Got started on an Atari ST back in '85 and my favorite program was VIP
    Professional, a Lotus 1-2-3 clone for the Atari. When my computer didn't
    have enough memory or speed to handle a couple of very large spreadsheets,
    went to a Windows box (version 3.1).

    'Been enjoying the madness ever since.

    don

    "DavidF" <com> wrote in message