Professional Web Applications Themes

email only changed fields - Macromedia Dreamweaver

I have a form set up so that members can update their profile. It is also set up so that whenever someone updates their profile an email is sent to me with all of the information. Is there a way to send ONLY the information that was CHANGED instead of all of it??? Using ASP. Thanks, mickey...

  1. #1

    Default email only changed fields

    I have a form set up so that members can update their profile. It is also
    set up so that whenever someone updates their profile an email is sent to me
    with all of the information. Is there a way to send ONLY the information
    that was CHANGED instead of all of it???

    Using ASP.

    Thanks,
    mickey

    mickey Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: email only changed fields

    Yea, that's what I figured. :(

    How would I go about it - compare the recordset for the member to what is
    being saved?

    mickey

    "Paul Whitham TMM" <paulvalleybiz.net> wrote in message
    > As the update will be overwriting the information already stored in the
    > fields I do not see how you could do this without soem extensive
    handcoding.

    > --
    > Regards
    >
    > Paul Whitham
    > Valleybiz Internet Design
    > [url]www.valleybiz.net[/url]
    >
    > Team Macromedia Volunteer for Ultradev/Dreamweaver MX
    > [url]www.macromedia.com/support/forums/team_macromedia[/url]
    > "mickey" <newslistsmicnap.com> wrote in message
    > > I have a form set up so that members can update their profile. It is
    also
    > > set up so that whenever someone updates their profile an email is sent
    > me
    > > with all of the information. Is there a way to send ONLY the
    information
    > > that was CHANGED instead of all of it???
    > >
    > > Using ASP.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > mickey

    mickey Guest

  3. #3

    This is how I would do it.

    1) Make your email action run off the page that is your redirect page after
    an successful update.

    2) On you update page below where you create the recordset, assign each
    value to a separate session variable with something like old in the name (ie
    svOldUserName).

    Then go into the update code, and below the line that is an IF statement
    checking for the button being pressed, assign all your form value to a
    second set of session variables like this (in ASP)

    <% Session("svNewUserName") = request.form("UserName")%>

    3) Finally on your email page you can build up the code by checking where
    Session("svOldUserName") <> Session("svNewUserName")

    --

    > Yea, that's what I figured. :(
    >
    > How would I go about it - compare the recordset for the member to what is
    > being saved?
    >
    > mickey
    >
    > "Paul Whitham TMM" <paulvalleybiz.net> wrote in message
    > > As the update will be overwriting the information already stored in the
    > > fields I do not see how you could do this without soem extensive
    > handcoding.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Regards
    > >
    > > Paul Whitham
    > > Valleybiz Internet Design
    > > [url]www.valleybiz.net[/url]
    > >
    > > Team Macromedia Volunteer for Ultradev/Dreamweaver MX
    > > [url]www.macromedia.com/support/forums/team_macromedia[/url]
    > > "mickey" <newslistsmicnap.com> wrote in message
    > > > I have a form set up so that members can update their profile. It is
    > also
    > > > set up so that whenever someone updates their profile an email is sent
    > > me
    > > > with all of the information. Is there a way to send ONLY the
    > information
    > > > that was CHANGED instead of all of it???
    > > >
    > > > Using ASP.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks,
    > > > mickey

    Paul Whitham TMM Guest

  4. #4

    That makes sense. I'll give it a try.

    > This is how I would do it.
    >
    > 1) Make your email action run off the page that is your redirect page
    after
    > an successful update.
    >
    > 2) On you update page below where you create the recordset, assign each
    > value to a separate session variable with something like old in the name
    (ie
    > svOldUserName).
    >
    > Then go into the update code, and below the line that is an IF statement
    > checking for the button being pressed, assign all your form value to a
    > second set of session variables like this (in ASP)
    >
    > <% Session("svNewUserName") = request.form("UserName")%>
    >
    > 3) Finally on your email page you can build up the code by checking where
    > Session("svOldUserName") <> Session("svNewUserName")
    >

    > --
    > Regards
    >
    > Paul Whitham
    > Valleybiz Internet Design
    > [url]www.valleybiz.net[/url]
    >
    > Team Macromedia Volunteer for Ultradev/Dreamweaver MX
    > [url]www.macromedia.com/support/forums/team_macromedia[/url]
    > "mickey" <newslistsmicnap.com> wrote in message
    > > Yea, that's what I figured. :(
    > >
    > > How would I go about it - compare the recordset for the member to what
    is
    > > being saved?
    > >
    > > mickey
    > >
    > > "Paul Whitham TMM" <paulvalleybiz.net> wrote in message
    > > > As the update will be overwriting the information already stored in
    the
    > > > fields I do not see how you could do this without soem extensive
    > > handcoding.
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Regards
    > > >
    > > > Paul Whitham
    > > > Valleybiz Internet Design
    > > > [url]www.valleybiz.net[/url]
    > > >
    > > > Team Macromedia Volunteer for Ultradev/Dreamweaver MX
    > > > [url]www.macromedia.com/support/forums/team_macromedia[/url]
    > > > "mickey" <newslistsmicnap.com> wrote in message
    > > also
    > > > me
    > > information

    mickey Guest