Professional Web Applications Themes

Embedded graphics - Macromedia Freehand

Can't find anything on this in a search/ Does anyone know why I lost all my embedded graphics in a FH10 file? They were embedded through the Insert command and may have disappeared after a backup and path change -- but isn't the point of the embedded option so that the FH file is more transportable? Is there a fix or do I have to go back and reinsert every single graphic (35 of them)??...

  1. #1

    Default Embedded graphics

    Can't find anything on this in a search/ Does anyone know why I lost all my
    embedded graphics in a FH10 file? They were embedded through the Insert
    command and may have disappeared after a backup and path change -- but isn't
    the point of the embedded option so that the FH file is more transportable? Is
    there a fix or do I have to go back and reinsert every single graphic (35 of
    them)??

    DennisFukai Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Embedded graphics

    You may not have embedded them, but linked them, if all you did was use
    the Insert command. In that case it is looking for the original files.

    Rich

    Rich Guest

  3. #3

    Rich Thx for the reply, the odd thing is that I did embed them and the 'links'
    still indicate the embedded status of the image in the Links Dialog Box along
    w/ the correct path name. They just don't show up in the body of the FH doc
    (not even w/ an 'X' for a broken link.... I wonder if there is a way to
    globally reset the 'embedment (?)' or if I have to relink everything.
    Unfortunately, it's not automated as one would normally find when opening a
    file with broken links.... Sign me baffled..

    DennisFukai Guest

  4. #4

    DennisFukai wrote:

    That is very odd. I hate to re-ask the question but are you sure the
    images were embedded and not just linked? In the "links" window the
    image file names are all followed by "-embedded"?

    From what you describe it sounds more like the file lost its links --
    which would be normal behavior after a path change. I've never come
    across a Freehand file lost its embedded images but not otherwise be
    corrupted. The only thing that might be close is I came across a couple
    of files that had embedded images which were invisible. But they became
    visible once they were duplicated. Could that be the case? Can you click
    on a link and then hit the "show" button and have the hilite dots (or
    whatever those blue dots are called) show up around where the image
    should be?
    Wes Guest

  5. #5

    Interesting that now that you mention it I can't see the little highlight boxes
    around the image either, but they are definitely listed as embedded. In fact,
    when I followed your suggestion to click 'Show ' for one of the embedded links
    in the Link Dialog box I could suddenly see the highlight boxes for the image
    on that page. Very strange... That gave me an idea. Since I could see the
    highlight box, I tried to 'Change' the image back to the original embedded file
    both as an embed and a linked image and guess what -- it is not visible or
    selectable as either a linked or embedded image file. Then I tried Show on
    the same image again and this time Extracted that image to the desktop to see
    if it was blank. Lo and behold the image is visible and intact as an extracted
    file. It seems to me now that the original file has been corrupted, but Save
    As to a new file name produces the same results. I have no choice I guess
    except to go back and reset all the links, but I'm afraid that when I
    re-establish all the links, whatever occurred will occur again...that would be
    very discouraging.... Thx though for your ideas, I'll keep trying

    DennisFukai Guest

  6. #6

    I wonder if the doent or images have corrupted Show/Hide settings (the
    'show' in the View menu). If you make sure all layers have visibility on and
    choose View > 'Show All', does it show the images?

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Guest

  7. #7

    J Thx for the tip, the Show All selection was highlighted indicating that
    there were hidden objects. I toggled the Show/Hide menu selection and nothing
    happened, but then I toggled all layer visibilities to reset the layers and
    then tried again, the images reappeared. Not sure which of your suggs fixed
    the prob, but they saved me a lot of time....there must have been some
    combination of layer visibility and hidden objects that caused the prob... At
    any rate, thx Judy (and to all) for the help /D

    DennisFukai Guest

  8. #8

    DennisFukai wrote:

    I think there must be a bug with layer visibility related to bitmaps
    somewhere in there that hasn't been quite tacked down. I've seen the
    invisible bitmaps before and couldn't figure out how to get them visible
    again other than duplicating them. And I've also had layers that were
    set to keyline view for tracing over a bitmap turn themselves back to
    normal view. Very tedious when you draw then click the keyline view
    button, draw then click the keyline view button ...
    Wes Guest