Professional Web Applications Themes

EMF errors since Microsoft 4/14/04 security update - Adobe Illustrator Windows

Since installing the new security update from Microsoft released on April 14, enhanced metafiles created in Adobe Illustrator 10.0.3 for Windows no longer work. They appear as blank rectangles rather than as the images they are supposed to represent. This is true whether the images were copied to the clipboard and pasted as Metafiles (into both Microsoft Word and Microsoft Powerpoint) or were saved as Enhanced Metafiles and imported into another program. This applies to metafiles created before the update (e.g., embedded figures within a Word doent which were fine before the security update now show empty white squares where ...

  1. #1

    Default EMF errors since Microsoft 4/14/04 security update

    Since installing the new security update from Microsoft released on April 14, enhanced metafiles created in Adobe Illustrator 10.0.3 for Windows no longer work. They appear as blank rectangles rather than as the images they are supposed to represent. This is true whether the images were copied to the clipboard and pasted as Metafiles (into both Microsoft Word and Microsoft Powerpoint) or were saved as Enhanced Metafiles and imported into another program. This applies to metafiles created before the update (e.g., embedded figures within a Word doent which were fine before the security update now show empty white squares where an imported Illustrator used to be). If the files are taken to a computer without the security update, they images are fine.
    msrosenberg@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    This was driving me crazy until I looked in the Forum and noticed your posting. For now, I uninstalled the 835732 Security Update and I have my EMF renderings back, but I hope a more reasonable fix is forthcoming.
    rgranger@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    I just ran into the same problem with my companies commercial software product. It displays EMF maps which were created from Adobe Illustrator source files. They are now NOT getting rendered due to this service pack update. From what I can understand, this is an Adobe Illustrator defect that needs to be corrected immediately. I have no control over the export of AI files to EMF/WMF and therefore do not know how to fix this buffer overrun concern that Microsoft patched up with the latest HotFix. It must have been overlooked for some time and now it is causing major problems for many of us. Shouldn't Adobe have been in the loop with Microsoft on this issue?

    Is there a solution in the works? Perhaps someone knows how to write a utility that can take an EMF file and clean out the problems automatically without breaking the image? That would be a wonderful temporary fix. I look forward to any responses here

    This is extremely IMPORTANT. Thank you for any help.
    Scott_Petoff@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Does anybody know if Adobe is even aware of this problem??? Basically, this MS security update invalidates the rendering of all Illustrator-generated EMF graphics past, present, and future. Aside from switching to another graphics application, does anyone know of a fix for this or have any advise? Many thanks.
    rgranger@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    I called Adobe Technical Support on 4/20 and talked to a very helpful representative (Bill) who helped narrow down where and when the problem was happening. From my specific experience, the problem ONLY happens with the exported EMF files contains text objects. If you convert all text objects to Outlines, then the EMF metafile images work in Microsoft Word and Powerpoint for example.

    Despite the easy to reproduce and serious nature of this problem, I am EXTREMELY disappointed in the response so far from Adobe. After escalating the support case to their top engineers, the only answer I received so far was that Adobe was aware of it and was a Microsoft problem, though I am doubtful that Adobe doesn't have any blame in this. Why can other applications generate EMFs that don't break?

    I am also extremely disappointed that there hasn't been any public disclosure of this problem on this board or from Adobe directly, to provide an update on when a fix might be available and to offer any temporary workarounds. I am much more impressed with the way Microsoft at least actively monitors and responds to messages on their newsgroups.

    So, where does that leave us?
    ScottPet@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    No solutions yet, but Adobe and MS are apparently aware of the problem. See this recent discussion:

    LenHewitt "MS Win Update KB835732 causes problems with Illustrator EMF display in Office" 4/23/04 12:52am </cgi-bin/webx?13.2cd13792/5>
    Harron_K._Appleman@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Thanks for the updates. I suppose in a pinch converting the text to outline is a workable (if not ugly) proposition. For on-line viewing the text is no longer clear and of course it is no longer editable. Obviously, this mode of operation cannot be long sustained.
    rgranger@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Looks like there should be a hotfix publicly available soon for the EMF file problem that was introduced with the patch from Microsoft Security Bulletin MS04-011:
    <http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=840997>

    You can get the fix now or wait until the next MS update, as MS recommends. Does anyone know how long that may take??
    rgranger@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Well... XP SP2 is in beta now and is due out this summer.
    Harron_K._Appleman@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    Try this:

    Save the file as a PNG file.
    Open the file in Illustrator and then do one of the following procedures:

    -- Choose File > Save for Microsoft Office (Illustrator CS only).
    -- To customize the PNG settings (such as resolution, transparency, and background color), choose either File > Export, or File > Save for Web. The first way just saves to PNG without any further options. The second one give you options about how you want to export the file to PNG.
    William_Bjornson@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    Yes, yes, there are OTHER formats besides EMF you can use --- CMG, PNG, GIF, BMP --- but they don't look nearly as crisp, even at 2400bpi!

    This is particularly troubling to me because I have a Word doent I created for a Technical Proposal. It has a LOT of EMF graphics and photos. As a Word doent, it's 19MB(!), and I am tearing my hair out (what little I have, as it is) that I can't trim it down to a PDF file!
    Rudy_Schneider@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    Folks,

    I just ran into this thread because a customer made me aware of this problem.

    My company happens to have a standalone graphics batch conversion tool on Windows that reads EMF and writes EMF. I'm not able to test it with reading Illustrator EMF and trying the output in MS Office on a 'patched' Windows machine, but it might just be that it can function as a transformer: taking 'bad' Illy EMF and writing 'good' EMF.

    For those who can't wait for Adobe and/or MS to fix this, I'll be glad to help you test it, if you send me a couple of EMF files from Illustrator that are causing you problems since the patch. I'll return the EMF conversions for you to test.

    Jeroen Dekker
    --
    Square One - The Graphics Connection
    Visit <http://www.square1.nl/index.htm>

  13. #13

    I'd like to know what is the difference between *.WMF and *.EMF and why can't *.WMF be substituted for *.EMF instead?
    Ruth_A._Manso-Rivera@adobeforums.com Guest

  14. #14

    Ruth, I can't really list the distinctions between WMF and EMF, but here are my observations. For "simple" graphics WMF and EMF produce similar if not indistinguishable results. For highly detailed drawings (engineering drawings), WMFs dont do as well and suffer in clarity. Also, for not so detailed drawings that have basic effects such as drop shadows or gradients, the on-line veiwing of the WMF is muddier (particularly the text) than the EMF. So to view the WMF drawing, one must zoom in. Note that although WMFs dont render as nicely on-line, they still seem to print alright. Because EMFs only tend to improve graphic appearance I stay with them for Office Apps - that is until this unhappy event.
    Finally, EMF files are often significantly larger than WMF, but tend not to increase the doent file size (when inserted) much more than WMF.
    rgranger@adobeforums.com Guest

  15. #15

    Microsoft knows about this but the hotfix it isn't publicly available
    (at the time of writing). You can call and get it... "Note In special
    cases, charges that are ordinarily incurred for support calls may be
    canceled if a Microsoft Support Professional determines that a
    specific update will resolve your problem" ;)

    [url]http://support.microsoft.com/?id=840997[/url]

    [email]rgrangeradobeforums.com[/email] wrote in message news:<3bb3a33d.0webx.la2eafNXanI>...
    > This was driving me crazy until I looked in the Forum and noticed your
    posting. For now, I uninstalled the 835732 Security Update and I have
    my
    EMF renderings back, but I hope a more reasonable fix is forthcoming.
    B Brown Guest

  16. #16

    Some of the limitations of 16-bit WMF compared to 32-bit EMF:

    - nu support for true curves, so they're broken up into many straight polyline segments
    - no support for cropping
    - limitations in physical dimensions (for e.g. large engineering drawings)

    Whether or not these matter for your purposes, depends on your requirements. The polylines especially may affect the quality of on-screen viewing of vector graphics.

    Jeroen Dekker

  17. #17

    Hi All,

    I just came upon this thread as my company is also being plauged with this problem. I have installed the subscribed Hot Fix on a number of platforms (Win2K WinXP Office2K/XP/2003) from MS (KB840997) and it only fixes some EMF files, not all.

    Has anyone else seen this? Know of any additional ways we can repidly make 100's of tech Manuals and proposals all display as they should?

    The real problem we have is that a lot of our Doents get sent to customers and now that everyone is patched for the virus, they have no way of looking at the embedded images in the doents we created. This is not going to make our customer service efforts look like we are trying. Very frustrating!

    BTW I have also tested that a machine not connected to the network and without the MS04-011 Patch or KB840997 Hot Fix, still works just like it should.
    Roger_Atkinson@adobeforums.com Guest

  18. #18

    Hi everyone.
    MS has solved the issue, I believe!
    We have 2000 technical drawings. All disappeared after the security patch described in Microsoft Security Bulletin MS04-011.
    We use mainly Designer 8, but have lots of Illustrator EMFs.
    First attempt by MS Support was in KB Article 840997 Hotfix. Didn't work for us.
    Second attempt by MS Support was in KB Article 842092 Hotfix. Didn't work for us.
    MS Support got back to me the next day and said they had a "prelease" hotfix for me to try: it doesn't have a fixed hotfix number: for info, tho, hotfix files have the KB number built in to the file name, and this "third attempt" featured the number: 843284.
    AND THIS THIRD ONE WORKED FOR US!

    I have it on a reliable source that the problem is related to fixing ActiveX security holes...
    The hotfix updates the file "gdi32.dll" to V 5.0.2195.6958 and it updates the file "mf3216.dll" to V 5.0.2195.6898.

    I hope this info gets out to all of you before you start redrawing. Gosh, we were in despair.

    I don't know when MS Support will "officialize" the hotfix. To get hotfixes, of course, you have to do the CS loop, that is telephone, wait on hold for ages, then they mail a link with a password to you, it's free of charge on this issue.

    all the best

    Blake
    Blake_Bora@adobeforums.com Guest

  19. #19

    Thanks for posting this update. I thought Microsoft had forgotten about all of us ;)

    I have personally given up dealing with this fix which was the biggest development time drain and completely unexpected. I'm glad Microsoft has worked on it, but in my opinion they broke something that affected a small enough customer base (as far as they were concerned) not to give it high priority. My company's map based software application worked one day and not the next for no fault of our own, and the financial cost was high. We permanently removed all text objects when converting from Illustrator to EMF, at a loss of quality and render speed.

    Even though the hot fix exists, the onus is on us to make sure our clients and customers have it installed on their computer, otherwise the EMF files will be unviewable on their machines. I understand security holes are more important to the world, but I would have hoped Microsoft would have released this fix much more quickly, and made it a Windows Update Highly Recommended download ASAP. It took too long for the problem to be publicly acknowledged by both Microsoft as well as Adode who also has a large vested interest.

    -Scott
    ScottPet@adobeforums.com Guest