Professional Web Applications Themes

emulating a printer to another computer - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Does there exist software that would allow me to hook up my linux computer to another computer (not necessarily linux; presume that it is dos) and have the dos computer print to it's parallel port, and my linux computer receive the file the DOS computer wants to print ? The linux computer would essentially be emulating the printer to the DOS computer. I am sure that printer manufacturers must have software like this, but is it possible for me to do it ? --Rob...

  1. #1

    Default emulating a printer to another computer

    Does there exist software that would allow me to hook up my linux
    computer to another computer (not necessarily linux; presume that it
    is dos) and have the dos computer print to it's parallel port, and my
    linux computer receive the file the DOS computer wants to print ?

    The linux computer would essentially be emulating the printer to the
    DOS computer.

    I am sure that printer manufacturers must have software like this, but
    is it possible for me to do it ?

    --Rob
    Rob Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: emulating a printer to another computer

    Rob Ristroph wrote:

    No, not to its parallel port, but across a network, yes.

    --
    Paul Lutus
    http://www.arachnoid.com

    Paul Guest

  3. #3

    lonestar.org (Rob Ristroph) wrote in message news:<ath.cx>...

    If it was coming out of a serial port, it would be easy. Just run
    a terminal emulator on the Linux computer, and capture everything
    sent over the serial line.

    Over 15 years ago, one of the smaller computer magazines complained
    that they couldn't print a complete assembler listing, because they had
    no way of generating such a list except to a printer. It was obvious
    that if they set up another computer in the way I suggested, it could
    capture the output, and the main computer would never know if
    there was a printer or a computer attached to the serial port.

    I'm not sure what the solution would be if the output has to
    be to the parallel output, because there isn't a general program
    that takes things in from the parallel port. You'd have to poke
    around and find something that is taking in data from the parallel
    port for some reason, and hope that it's general enough that it
    can be useful in your application. Maybe there's some logging program
    that is used with test equipment or something.

    Michael
    Michael Guest

  4. #4

    Michael>
    Michael> lonestar.org (Rob Ristroph) wrote in message news:<ath.cx>... [/ref]
    Michael>
    Michael> If it was coming out of a serial port, it would be easy.
    Michael> Just run a terminal emulator on the Linux computer, and
    Michael> capture everything sent over the serial line.
    Michael>
    Michael> Over 15 years ago, one of the smaller computer magazines
    Michael> complained that they couldn't print a complete assembler
    Michael> listing, because they had no way of generating such a list
    Michael> except to a printer. It was obvious that if they set up
    Michael> another computer in the way I suggested, it could capture the
    Michael> output, and the main computer would never know if there was a
    Michael> printer or a computer attached to the serial port.
    Michael>
    Michael> I'm not sure what the solution would be if the output has to
    Michael> be to the parallel output, because there isn't a general
    Michael> program that takes things in from the parallel port. You'd
    Michael> have to poke around and find something that is taking in data
    Michael> from the parallel port for some reason, and hope that it's
    Michael> general enough that it can be useful in your application.
    Michael> Maybe there's some logging program that is used with test
    Michael> equipment or something.
    Michael>
    Michael> Michael

    I will find some sort of parallel port monitoring program, or else
    make one by modifying some simple code that accesses the parallel
    port. I am worried that fancy printers might do too talking back and
    forth and handshaking. I'll see if I can set up one computer to print
    to a generic postscript printer on the parallel port, and see if I can
    get a postscript file out of the log on the other end.

    --Rob
    Rob Guest