Professional Web Applications Themes

Encrypting PERL source code... - PERL Beginners

Can anyone suggest where I might be able to find (hopefully a freeware or shareware script..) a program that runs either on a windows system or a PERL script that would "encrypt" a perl script by doing such things as removing whitespace, etc. so that it is much more difficult to read but yet will execute as if "unencrypted"?? I'd like to make the source code as difficult to pirate as I can for a program that I'm developing. Thanks! Portions of this message may be confidential under an exemption to Ohio's public records law or under a legal privilege. ...

  1. #1

    Default Encrypting PERL source code...

    Can anyone suggest where I might be able to find (hopefully a freeware
    or shareware script..) a program that runs either on a windows system or
    a PERL script that would "encrypt" a perl script by doing such things as
    removing whitespace, etc. so that it is much more difficult to read but
    yet will execute as if "unencrypted"?? I'd like to make the source code
    as difficult to pirate as I can for a program that I'm developing.
    Thanks!

    Portions of this message may be confidential under an exemption to Ohio's public records law or under a legal privilege. If you have received this message in error or due to an unauthorized transmission or interception, please delete all copies from your system without disclosing, copying, or transmitting this message.

    Richard C 1 Guest

  2. #2

    Default RE: Encrypting PERL source code...

    even better, check out PAR:

    [url]http://search.cpan.org/~autrijus/PAR/[/url]

    -Tom Kinzer

  3. #3

    On Mon, Dec 01, 2003 at 01:39:43PM -0500, [email]Richard.C.1bwc.state.oh.us[/email] wrote:
    > Can anyone suggest where I might be able to find (hopefully a freeware
    > or shareware script..) a program that runs either on a windows system or
    > a PERL script that would "encrypt" a perl script by doing such things as
    > removing whitespace, etc. so that it is much more difficult to read but
    > yet will execute as if "unencrypted"?? I'd like to make the source code
    > as difficult to pirate as I can for a program that I'm developing.
    Don't remove the whitespace; whitespace is useful. Instead you want to
    remove all the other characters. You want Acme::Bleach from CPAN.

    perldoc -q "hide the source"

    --
    Paul Johnson - [email]paulpjcj.net[/email]
    [url]http://www.pjcj.net[/url]

  4. #4

    On Mon, Dec 01, 2003 at 01:39:43PM -0500 [email]Richard.C.1bwc.state.oh.us[/email] wrote:
    > Can anyone suggest where I might be able to find (hopefully a freeware
    > or shareware script..) a program that runs either on a windows system or
    > a PERL script that would "encrypt" a perl script by doing such things as
    > removing whitespace, etc. so that it is much more difficult to read but
    > yet will execute as if "unencrypted"?? I'd like to make the source code
    > as difficult to pirate as I can for a program that I'm developing.
    Those attempts are usually futile since compiled Perl-code can be
    depd. Of course, when those pirates you have in mind are a little
    retarded, you could use one of those many Acme:: or Acme-alike modules
    on the CPAN. I quite like SuperPython. This line transforms any Perl
    script into a script that can be run by SuperPython:

    perl -ne 's/(.)/" " x ord($1)."\t"/ge; print' script.pl > script.spy

    And in order to execute it, either do a

    perl -MSuperPython script.spy

    or add 'use SuperPython;' on top of the encrypted script.

    But note that

    perl -MO=Dep -MSuperPython script.spy

    would for instance yield

    BEGIN { $^W = 1; }
    use SuperPython;
    my $code = sub {
    my $arg1 = shift _;
    sub {
    $arg1 + shift(_);
    }
    ;
    }
    ;
    print &$code(5)->(6);

    which could easily be more readable than the original script was.

    Tassilo
    --
    $_=q#",}])!JAPH!qq(tsuJ[{"tnirp}3..0}_$;//::niam/s~=)]3[))_$-3(rellac(=_$({
    $_=reverse,s+(?<=sub).+q#q!'"qq.\t$&."'!#+ii ixesixeseg;y~\n~~dddd;eval

    Tassilo Von Parseval Guest

  5. #5

    Honestly, it's not worth the effort, and no method is foolproof. Put the
    appropriate copyright notice on your program and you should be set.
    Luke Bakken Guest

  6. #6

    Paul Johnson wrote:
    > Don't remove the whitespace; whitespace is useful. Instead you want to
    > remove all the other characters. You want Acme::Bleach from CPAN.
    >
    > perldoc -q "hide the source"
    >
    > --
    > Paul Johnson - [email]paulpjcj.net[/email]
    Aaaah, Paul, I don't know. If you're going to do that, you might as well make
    an articulate statement in the process. I would recommend Acme Bushisms
    instead.

    Joseph

    R. Joseph Newton Guest

  7. #7

    On Dec 1, 2003, at 2:33 PM, R. Joseph Newton wrote:
    [..]
    > Aaaah, Paul, I don't know. If you're going to do that,
    > you might as well make an articulate statement in the process.
    > I would recommend Acme Bushisms instead.
    for those who are playing along at home,

    <http://search.cpan.org/~accardo/Acme-Bushisms-0.02/Bushisms.pm>

    which is a decaying from....

    <http://search.cpan.org/~dconway/Acme-Bleach-1.12/lib/Acme/Bleach.pm>

    Then there is of course:

    <http://search.cpan.org/~lbrocard/Acme-Buffy-1.3/lib/Acme/Buffy.pm>

    In short, if one wants to play

    hide the code,

    and has read the perlfac, and still want to
    go hard core, you can always nest it in 'c' code
    and get way Funky...

    ciao
    drieux

    ---

    Drieux Guest

  8. #8

    A pretty decent way to hide your code may be this one:
    try a "perl-to-exe" transformation, followed by a compression
    of the resulting executable (in the UPX style).

    NOTE: perl2exe programs are not free, AFAIK. The executables
    made by certain trialware perl2exe programs attempt to read
    data from their own executable image files stored on disk.
    This kind of executables are not good candidates for "on the fly"
    compression/decompression.

    Of course, this is not a bulletproof encryption, but only
    a weak method to hide your code. Feel free to experiment ...

    PLEASE NOTE: The above email address has recently changed from a previous naming standard -- if this does not match your records, please update them to use this new name in future email addressed to this individual.

    This message and any attachments are intended for the
    individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended
    recipient, please do not forward, copy, print, use or disclose this
    communication to others; also please notify the sender by
    replying to this message, and then delete it from your system.

    The Timken Company

    Adrian N. Ichim Guest

  9. #9

    From: "Ichim, Adrian N." <adrian.ichimtimken.com>

    PAR is free
    [url]http://search.cpan.org/search?query=PAR&mode=module[/url]

    Jenda
    ===== [email]JendaKrynicky.cz[/email] === [url]http://Jenda.Krynicky.cz[/url] =====
    -- Terry Pratchett in Sourcery

    Jenda Krynicky Guest

  10. #10

    Try: [url]http://home.online.nl/kees.hottinga/[/url]
    A tool to encrypt perl code en decrypt in memory during running

    Kees D. Hottinga
    Unregistered Guest

  11. #11

    I never suggest encryption on a perl script. Perl is a open source application proccess. If all you want to do is encrypt a password to block others from actively viewing it or pulling it out of your SQL via sql injection just use the built in perl encrypt() with a salt that no one will guess. Perl is ment to be a OPEN source scripting language and as such should not be encrypted. If this doesn't suit your needs I suggest switching to winz methods and fluffing your program with C++, C, or C# programing methods.
    The GPL should protect you from copywrite infringement to a degree of anyone stating this source is their own.
    Jabberwock Guest

  12. #12

    Thumbs down Re: Encrypting PERL source code...

    " If this doesn't suit your needs I suggest switching to winz methods and fluffing your program with C++, C, or C# programing methods."

    Dude...
    Don't forget what language Linux was coded in, or what Perl was somewhat based on :/
    Don't down talk the C(++)

    Perl<3
    Perl Guest