Professional Web Applications Themes

Enlarge Virtual PC Hard Disk? - Mac Applications & Software

When I set-up Virtual PC 6 on my TiBook, I set the C: drive to 1.94 GB (I think this was a default). I now need to install some additional software which MUST be on the C: drive and I need additional space. I don't want to go through the hassle of having to create an entirely new C: drive, re-installing Windows, re-installing all of my software, etc., so I was wondering if anyone knows of a way to make the C: drive larger? Thanks, in advance, for any and all assistance!...

  1. #1

    Default Enlarge Virtual PC Hard Disk?

    When I set-up Virtual PC 6 on my TiBook, I set the C: drive to 1.94 GB
    (I think this was a default). I now need to install some additional
    software which MUST be on the C: drive and I need additional space. I
    don't want to go through the hassle of having to create an entirely
    new C: drive, re-installing Windows, re-installing all of my software,
    etc., so I was wondering if anyone knows of a way to make the C: drive
    larger?

    Thanks, in advance, for any and all assistance!
    Scott Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Enlarge Virtual PC Hard Disk?

    In article <google.com>,
    com (Scott Bickman) wrote:

    I don't know about version 6, but version 5 allows one to choose the
    "Virtual Disk Assistant" from the Window menubar item. From there you
    can choose to modify a drive in a variety of ways, including expanding
    it.

    --
    Tom Stiller

    PGP fingerprint = 51
    t"DB2 9761 EDE5 E7E3
    7BDA 71ED 6496 99C0 C7CF
    Tom Guest

  3. #3

    Tom:

    Thanks for your response on comp.sys.mac.apps. Unfortunately, VPC 6
    does not have this option. The only available options are "convert to
    fixed size disk" or "reclaim zeroed drive space."

    Thanks anyway!

    Anyone else have any other ideas?

    Tom Stiller <net> wrote in message news:<comcast.giganews.com>...

    > I don't know about version 6, but version 5 allows one to choose the
    > "Virtual Disk Assistant" from the Window menubar item. From there you
    > can choose to modify a drive in a variety of ways, including expanding
    > it.[/ref]
    Scott Guest

  4. #4

    In article <google.com>,
    com (Scott Bickman) wrote:

    > > I don't know about version 6, but version 5 allows one to choose the
    > > "Virtual Disk Assistant" from the Window menubar item. From there you
    > > can choose to modify a drive in a variety of ways, including expanding
    > > it.[/ref][/ref]

    Hello Tom,

    Here is what you might want to do..
    Create a D drive of 3 Gig for example in VPC.
    Then use a freeware PC program to copy your C drive to your D drive.
    Then make your 3 gig drive the boot drive.
    The folks at alt.com.freeware will be very happy to recommend a freeware
    program for windows which will copy eveything (including boot sector)
    from your c drive to your d drive. But don't tell them you are using
    VPC on a Mac 'cause it will confuse them. I've done this before using
    VPC 5 with Windows 98 and they work fine but I can't remember the names
    of them.

    Mark
    Mark Guest

  5. #5

    In article <google.com>,
    com (Scott Bickman) wrote:

    That's because you already have a dynamic disk which will expand as you
    need it.

    --
    Ron
    Ron Guest

  6. #6

    That's what I thought too, but when I go to install a program that
    requires more space than the hard drive has been allocated, it says
    that the hard drive isn't large enough. How do I enlarge the dynamic
    disk's virtual size BEFORE I try to install something which needs the
    extra space?

    Scott Guest

  7. #7

    Hmmm...that is an interesting idea. I didn't know that this could be
    done. I'll have to check that out if I can't find a way to enlarge the
    size of the existing disk. Thanks!

    Scott Guest

  8. #8

    In article <google.com>,
    com (Scott Bickman) wrote:
     [/ref]

    IIRC their was originally a limit as to how big a dynamic disk could go.
    This was doented somewhere, but not in VPC6.1. I would recomend you
    create a new drive image and make it your "D" drive or something. Then
    if you install various M$ OSs on VPC, they can ALL acess the "D"drive
    with your info on it .
    --
    Slartibartfast
    Winner of the prestigious "Fijords" award;

  9. #9

    Scott Bickman <com> wrote:

    I've got such a program. Unfortulately, it will frequently give copying
    errors.
    --
    Per Erik Rønne
    Per Guest