Professional Web Applications Themes

Enterprise Manager shows Many-to-Many - Microsoft SQL / MS SQL Server

I've created a one-to-many relationship. When I view the network diagram in the Enterprise Manager diagram tool it correctly shows it as a one-to-may relationship. When I create a view using Enterprise Manager and add the two tables it shows it as a Many-to-Many relationship. Why? Am I missing something here? Thanks...

  1. #1

    Default Enterprise Manager shows Many-to-Many

    I've created a one-to-many relationship. When I view the network diagram in
    the Enterprise Manager diagram tool it correctly shows it as a one-to-may
    relationship.
    When I create a view using Enterprise Manager and add the two tables it
    shows it as a Many-to-Many relationship. Why?

    Am I missing something here?

    Thanks

    Chris Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Enterprise Manager shows Many-to-Many

    This could be a bug in the UI. You could either contact PSS if this really
    bothers you or use QA to create your view(s).

    --
    -oj
    RAC v2.2 & QALite!

    "Chris Whitehead" <com> wrote in message
    in

    oj Guest

  3. #3

    Michael,

    It appears it may just be a display issue on the choice of icon used, but
    i'm not sure.

    We have two tables:- Customers and Bookings. In the Customers table we have
    a CustomerSerialNo as the primary key and a CustomerID. In the Bookings
    table we have a BookingSerialNo and a CustomerID. So we are creating the
    relationship using NOT using the Primary Key field in Customers and we
    cascade updates. Because the relationship is not done using the Primary Key
    it would therefore seem stupid to show the normal Key symbol, so it instead
    uses the many icon. What makes this strange is that in the Diagram view it
    shows the Icon as a Key symbol on the Customer side of the relationship.
    So, the fact that different icons are used in views as opposed to the
    Diagrams means at least one is incorrect.

    I'm using SQL Server 2000 Developer Edition with SP3 applied. Northwind
    Customers to Orders works exactly as you said (because this is linking on
    the primary key).

    Thanks,
    Chris

    Chris Guest

  4. #4

    Hi Chris,

    I am sorry I could not make sure the detailed steps to reproduce this
    issue. I would like you to provide more information so that I can reproduce
    this problem on my side.
     [/ref]

    In the Bookings table, do you mean that there is no primary key in this
    table?
     [/ref]
    in Customers and we cascade updates.

    I am not sure how you create this relationship. What do you mean by "using
    NOT using the Primary Key field? What is the setting in the relationships
    tab of the property dialog? If it is possible, could you capture a
    screenshot regarding this setting dialog and post it on the newsgroup?

    I am standing by for your response.

    Regards,

    Michael Shao
    Microsoft Online Partner Support

    Michael Guest

  5. #5

    Great, thanks for looking into this issue Michael

    Chris

    Chris Guest